Sitting at 6 with these options.... What do you do?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Murrell2878, Jan 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally am not in favor of trading down. This is the Jets' golden opportunity to get a FQB. They have to take it. I don't think they'll get one trading down. Too many other teams, including Buffalo, Miami, and Arizona (for starters) need QBs. IMO Rosen and Darnold will never slide that far down. QB is the most important position, and the hardest position to fill, which can be evidenced by the Jets' history. In addition to all the cap space this year, they will have even more next year. IMO you get your QB first and build the offense around him, not vice versa. They need to get their QB this year. Who they get will help determine the rest of the types of players they need to get on offense, and they can fill/address the rest of those needs next year.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

All I will say is watch him on a snap to snap basis, he is not just a qb that can run. If we are talking Falk in round 1, Jackson is easily considered at 6. Incredible upside, good leader and can be a franchise qb.

3. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Not that I'm an expert but I think I'd be elated with that. Carnation instant offensive line and maybe my 2nd favorite QB prospect outside of the top 2. I think if that happened I'd feel cautiously optimistic about the future.

Murrell2878 and Red Menace like this.
  4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I feel like you and I are the ambassadors for both guys we like. Constantly defending them like its some kind of necessity.

5. Red Menace

Love the Carnation instant analogy....:)

I know it may not happen like that but I feel it's a swift fix of the oline and QB position.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  6. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Nahhh can't allow Buffalo to steal a franchise QB from us, I'll take Rosen or Darnold over 4 position players

7. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

As I stated, I was not sold on the trade down specifically to Buffalo, that was just an example.

I am not sure if any of those Qb's is a franchise Qb that is my point. If someone falls in love with a qb that is still on the board at 6, I am in favor of trading down to stockpile picks as we have needs in every area.

8. 101GangGreen101

we are in a good (potentially historic) QB class with an opportunity to find a guy that could be a starter for the next decade + ... its kind of exciting to evaluate these prospects, I just hope we pick the right guy ... I include Falk in that conservation too ... there are a lot of people that want to dismiss things about the QBs, I specifically defend Lamar because I don't think a lot of Jet fans have actually seen this guy play. I think he can do some great things with this franchise.

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

I did not state that any of these Qb' would slide out of the top 10. I am saying we have needs in all areas except maybe for safety. I am not sold on any of these Qb's but I believe Mayfield would be the best out of all of them. Depends on the system and coaching also.

Brook! likes this.
  10. Pepsiguy5

For what its worth I just copied this off walterfootball concerning Quenton Nelson

Still, sources with the Buccaneers believe that Nelson could become the best guard in the NFL in short order and has Hall of Fame potential. While taking a guard isn't the sexiest of picks, Nelson could be a perfect fit for Tampa Bay.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2018rumors3.php#ixzz55WlEe37d

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2018rumors3.php#84jt7i7fh0qV1C2G.99

If the guy really makes the Hall of Fame I guess you couldn't knock picking him too hard.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, but the Jets' greatest need is at QB, and that should be their primary focus, not addressing other needs or multiple needs. Therefore, trading down is not an option imo. They need to get their QB this year. If they do and he pans out, then they can always trade down next year or in 2020 to gain additional picks to address other needs.

12. Pepsiguy5

I also get a kick reading in multiple places on that site where the "hot scuttlebutt" is that as many as three QB's "might" go in the top 10. LOL! I'm not sure what the hell they are looking at but I could easily see four going before the Jets even get to pick one. Pick #1 or #4 by the Browns, pick #2 by either the Giants or whoever they trade down with, pick#3 by whoever the Colts trade down with, and pick #5 by the Broncos all seem extremely likely to be QB picks.

13. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I’m not a Mayfield fan, but I think I would pull the trigger on him or Jackson in that scenario (assuming the Jets don’t get Cousins).

I really don’t see how the Jets could go in any other direction other than QB with their first pick.

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Sorry, I just don't see it. I'm not interested in Jackson. Terrific athlete, just not a franchise QB.

I haven't seen anyone mention Falk in Rd1. Maybe I missed it

15. Red Menace

I'll tell you how, if the Qb or 2 QBs they value as #6 overall picks are drafted by other teams.

16. 101GangGreen101

Franchise QBs come in all shapes and sizes. Maybe we should re-evaluate what a franchise QB is. More then an athlete.

17. Red Menace

You and I are probably the only Falk fans on this forum. Most everyone else sees him as a reach.

He is 6'3 230 lbs, has the best numbers of all the QBs except Baker, with whom he goes against neck for neck.

He's got great fundamentals and IS the most accurate QB of this whole class. He has led his team against, Darnold, Rosen, and Allen and has led his team to wins against all three, proving he can play against other proven leaders.

The knock on him is he can't throw 66mph.

Now that he's not under the radar anymore we will see him move up the draft board, those fundamentals and intangibles are what GMs look for in a QB.

Don't know why it's so hard for guys to see him check all the boxes.

Pepsiguy5 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Mayfield: 285-404 (70.5%), 4627 yds., 43 - 6 (TD-Int), 198.9 QB Rat.
    LukeFalk: 357-534 (66.9%), 3594 yds., 30-13 (TD-Int), 137.0 QB Rat.
    JoshRosn:283-452 (62.6%), 3756 yds., 26-10 (TD-Int), 147.0 QB Rat.
    S.Darnold:303-480 (63.1%), 4143 yds., 26-13 (TD-Int), 148.1 QB Rat.

If Belichick's "stats are for losers" comment is correct, then looking at it another way: all 4 QBs were on teams that were ranked at one time or another during the 2017 season. Only 2 of those teams were ranked by season's end.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I actually suggested earlier today that Falk might actually move up and surpass Allen by the time all is said and done.

Red Menace likes this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Really wish we could have seen him play.

Allen played underwhelming in the first half of the Senior Bowl. His time was up. He begged to get back in after halftime and then he lit it up because the North kept getting the ball back by default.

The Jets had slow start problems. They don’t need a slow start QB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.