Sick of 'blitzing' defenses

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Feb 5, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't think Watson is a dummy by any means, and I like Watson's game, but there have been times where Watson would get a little too aggressive and it would result in INTs. I would've loved to have him as a Jet, and he would've been a perfect fit for Gailey [spread / read offense]. I don't think this new coordinator fits well. Jets can't take a players strengths and incorporate it, they failed with Sanchez. Bridgewater and Carr to me weren't catering types.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

But what if any of them took Carr instead?

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

Houston would've been the first team to ever host a SB.

abyzmul likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I just wish for once we'd have coordinators and coaches that adapt to the personnel rather than forcing it, especially in the first couple seasons. Even still, you don't draft a player that's not going to fit with the philosophy.

But is that enough to pass up on players that have the talent to be good NFL players? That's the biggest question we're going to face with drafting a player like Deshaun Watson.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

I remember John Henderson and Marcus Stroud fitting together pretty nicely. They were both big pass rushing defensive tackles that collapsed the pocket on a consistent basis while they bother were a better fit for the 3T.

I don't think it's a preposterous idea to play Wilk and Leo inside. Why does the money matter? If they're both collapsing the pocket, why does it matter if Wilk is lining up at the 4i or 1? All that matters is if they're generating pressure regardless of where they're lined up.

Either one of them are going to command a double team regardless of where they line up so I don't buy the wear & tear for a $15 milllion/Year player since he's getting doubles anyways. They're straight up ineffective as a traditional edge rushing defensive end.

Pat Williams and Kevin Williams also come
    to mind. Pat Williams had more success as a nose tackle so I guess that could be considered a bad comparison.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

OK, so I'm an old fart, and haven't studied all the newer defenses and formations, but "In the good ol' days", you had 4 DL
    So, given the guys they have right now who they're going to keep, what would be your ideal/preferred use of them - taking into account the likely addition of a FA or draftee to fir whatever piece(s) are missing?

7. 101GangGreen101

Keep Mo and Leonard and trade Sheldon. Find a speed rusher to compliment the interior pass rush.

8. 101GangGreen101

It's not a hard concept and outside of money, I still never heard a reason why Mo couldn't succeed in the 1 technique NT role. It fits what's Mo does best.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Basically, yes. Then you can have Jenkins man the strong side where the tightend is lined up on. We would then turn Lee into a sideline to sideline inside linebacker like my man Jonathan Vilma. The biggest issue is finding 4-3 OLB and trying to do this all in one season.

Although we could also just flip to a 4-3 look in passing situations although we do this at times. I just don't see Wilk/Leo lined up next to each other a lot in those situations.

Kinda sucks that our current construction is for a 3-4. The success of the defense is really hinging on Mauldin/Jenkins taking huge steps forward or we go out and draft Derek Barnett in the first or another pass rusher that is actually good.

10. Lee Savit

Lee Savit Member

Speaking of rushers or OLB, I pray the Jets target one in the draft 1st RD. When was the last time The NYJ had an OLB threat?

11. ColoradoContrails

Well I don't want them to draft yet another "D" guy in the 1st round, but if they do, it should be an elite pass rusher.

12. 101GangGreen101

That's the beauty about the 4 man front though, you can line them up anywhere and create mismatches. Jets want to be able to run both at any given moment, so they need versatile players. The good thing about Derek Barnett is that he can play in both schemes. I recently saw some tape of him against Alabama on draftbreakdown. Saw him drop back in coverage as a 3-4 OLB and while Alabama game planned to run and throw away from him, he still made an impact on the field. He can get off his blocks and while he isn't very athletic in comparison to some of the other prospects, he's very "polished" that can play all 3 downs. I kind of see him being overshadowed right now.

13. DRC™

DRC™ Active Member

This is so hilarious. I remember around the time I started watching this team, other than the constant bitching about whoever the OC was, the #1 complaint was the D never blitzed.

I never thought I would ever hear/read Jets fans complain about blitzing

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

If you cant trade that knucklehead Richardson put him where he belongs at DE...got your pass rusher prob solved

15. I'd settle for anything resembling a cohesive unit with an actual identity. Rex's D during its heyday was largely made up of veteran Free agents..and although they had great Talent & tenacity...it wasn't exactly a well oiled machine w. complimentary pieces. I've mentioned in other threads..I have no idea what Bowles is trying to build on either side of the ball. Nothing seems quite right..and much appears to be alot of outsmarting oneself.We hear about the blitzing...and maybe the numbers back-up that he likes to blitz..but it's been largely ineffective & non descript. Additionally the back end is as passive as can be...is atrocious at communication/alignment & pretty much lets all offensive players run free & covers no one;Oh and they don't tackle!

I want to see a true personnel plan. Guys who fit a specific scheme or style of play & who compliment their teammates in all the right places. That's what "Building through the draft" is all about. Yes "Best player available" is important..but it can't just be a randomized collection of talent...their has to be method & grand scheme behind it all. The best unit on the team last year was the DL...and their couldn't have been LESS of a plan to utilize that group.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great post! Spot on!

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.