Say what you want, but jets should go offense with the 1st pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 10, 2017.

1. CR8ZMike

CR8ZMike Member

Howard is a really interesting prospect. What he has going for him is his freakish numbers... And that's not a knock on him! He is def a special athlete! The debate is based on the system he was in because of his usage. He wasn't used like a star player because of where he played. So that is the biased opinion of everyone. Including myself. But hell.. If he can play like his athletic ability indicates, he's a special one.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I believe you are referring to the Brett Kollman analysis of Fournette where he makes a claim to that effect:

3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Mike Williams should get some serious consideration at 6. They're are plenty of options on the offensive side of the ball that are top 10 worthy and should get serious looks from the Jets.

Catfish Billy and CR8ZMike like this.
  4. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I agree. We have some nice receivers, but a true top-end WR would be extremely helpful to whichever QB we throw out there. If he can become a Mike Evans type of receiver, he's definitely worth being picked #6.

Catfish Billy likes this.
  5. xxedge72x

He's definitely very good, but I wouldn't take him over Howard. Howard offers more versatility and potential for mismatch while also contributing to the blocking game. He's more useful in more situations and lucky for us at a position of need.

6. Attackett

Would not be at all disappointed in Howard, my only argument against him and in favor of Williams is I feel the TE class is stronger as a whole than the WR class is. With that said I do think Howard is far and away the best TE and one of the best talents in the draft regardless of position.

Forgetting about QB for a sec because I do not think QB is a position Mac would consider at 6, it comes down to Williams vs Howard at 6 for me.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Aside from QB, which I agree with your guess about Macc not taking one at 6, I would still take Fournette if he's there, or Howard. Both seem like once-in-ten-years talents and would make an immediate huge impact on the "O". Aside from Garrett who is also a once-in-ten-years talent, there is no other "D" player who I would take, either because they wouldn't make as big an impact on this team as one of the above, or because of injury record, or because of limited playing time in college.

That said, I am slightly warming to the idea of a trade down to the 10-15 pick range which I think would still yield a great player while giving them at least one more quality pick. However, doing that would almost certainly mean they wouldn't get Fournette or Howard which is a very steep price, so I would probably want a low "2" and another pick no later than "4".

8. xxedge72x

I'm intrigued by the idea of having a true center fielder in Malik Hooker, but I also share your concerns and would also opt for Howard or Fournette before him.

9. ColoradoContrails

My thinking us that if they had the 12 or 13 pick they could grab Obi - yeah I KNOW, another "D" back! but he won't fall to the 2nd round - and then take "O" on the next pick: QB, RB, TE, WR, OL - whichever is BPA, and then whittle down that list from there, also keeping an eye out for the best Edge rusher available.

10. Attackett

I'm thinking this draft can really set us up with a nice young dynamic offense, something we haven't had in forever.

1. M. Williams
    2. Mahomes/ Trubisky/Webb
    3. TE/RB
    3. RB/TE

Could be a case of value meeting need in each round. Obviously Jets are in a unique position of needing everything and this wouldn't address OL early but I don't think this is the draft for OL.

11. ColoradoContrails

I love the idea of taking 4 "O" guys with the first 4 picks, but most won't, and I'm SURE Macc won't. I would also take Howard or Fournette before Williams as both would make a bigger impact IMO. I also don't like Trubisky because he's possibly Sanchez 2 given his limited playing time in college.

12. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

We should take Mike Williams. He is my #1 target other than Adams and Hooker.

13. Attackett

Yea, I'm just not a fan of Fournette at all, although I'd rather him in the 1st than most D players. I love Howard and would have no problem if he was the pick. I just think they can get a starter at TE in the 3rd rd easier than they could get a number 1 WR, which imo is a huge need for the team.

As far as Trubisky goes, I wouldn't take him in the 1st for the same reason you mentioned but would jump all over him in the 2nd. I do think Trubisky is the least likely QB to make it to the 2nd though.

14. ColoradoContrails

Well we'll never agree on taking Adams or Hooker at 6, or ahead of any "O" guy, but as for Williams, consider that for him to make the impact you think he'll make he needs to have a QB that can get him the ball. OTH, while this is also true of Howard, Howard also helps the OL with his blocking. And Fournette doesn't need the QB to do anything but hand him the ball and get out of the way. There is no WR that should be taken ahead of these two guys.

15. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

Only problem with this is we are in dire need of a CB.

But l'll sign up for this
    1 Howard
    2 CB White, Tabor , Chido
    3a Jackson safety from Alabama
    3b Mixon

16. Attackett

This draft is so deep at CB we can probably get someone in the 4th that can step right in and be our best CB. If not? well we are not gonna fill all the holes this draft anyway. It would be nice to focus on the O for once.

Also I highly doubt makes it to 3a let alone 3b.

17. Attackett

In regards to Williams, this isn't a one year fix. Having a guy like Williams around will be a huge help to whomever our next QB is.

As for Fournette that's just not true, without any threat of a passing game he will be facing 8 in the box every play. Then before we know it it's 3rd and 9 then 3 and out every series.

18. xxedge72x

My dream draft scenario right now is OJ Howard at 6 (even better would be trade down and still get Howard, but this is unrealistic at this point), and then, more realistically, moving back into 1st and snagging Christian McCaffrey.

Later in the draft add Ryan Switzer to the mix to compete with (replace) Jalin Marshall. Also flavor in a QB, OL, CB, and S.

19. ColoradoContrails

I think they'll have at least a serviceable passing game, better than last year's anyway, so I don't think they'll stack the box, but if they do, the Jets should be able to burn them with passes.

I would be very happy with either Howard or Fournette at 6, assuming they don't take Mahomes or Watson.

20. xxedge72x

Serious question for the Mike Williams crowd, and let me preface this by saying I love everything I've seen with this guy and would be thrilled to have him on the Jets: do we even know if he is the best WR in the draft? There is a legitimate argument for Corey Davis over Williams. I'm not personally making the argument as I favor both Howard and McCaffrey over any WR; but if you're a believer in WR, then why Williams over Davis?

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk