Say what you want, but jets should go offense with the 1st pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 10, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Now, think about Earl Thomas and his impact on the Legion of Boom. Also, think about it this way, you don't want the Jets playing in a shootout each and every game because your back-end defense always gets beat with the long ball. Works both ways. Did I say safety means more then QB? No, I never said that, you aren't understanding the big picture.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  2. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I think you can grab an offensive player with the first pick. Even better to trade down to the teens or early twenties and get add'l picks.

Someone like Mike Williams, OJ Howard, Fournette, McCaffrey.

Then because there is such a deep class in the secondary, focus on getting a few of them. Add an LT and its a good draft.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

and how good would thomas be doing without the rest of the legion of boom. it wasn't thomas carrying that defense by himself. sherman, maxwell for a few years, chancelor. not to mention their front 7. Sea is stacked on defense.

When you rebuild a team the most important is getting a QB. then the trenches. games are won in the trenches. S is the least of our worries. QB and O-line are a much bigger need. not to mention all the picks we spent building our defense over the past 10 years hasn't gotten us anywhere. The NFL is an offense driven league now. Just look at the superbowl. a brady and ryan shootout. and in the end the better QB won them the game.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

trading down is another good option. but again we should grab some offensive help 1st

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

actually the question should be how good would the legion of boom be without Thomas and you saw that this season. First round exit.

The 2nd paragraph is just normal stuff that we all know. Finding a franchise QB doesn't end with this draft. I prefer to stay patient and get the guy that fits that I want to do, not panic and pick a QB just to pick one without knowing their strengths and weaknesses. I see a lot of that happening on this board right now.

6. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I'll always be a proponent of BPA. That being said, I don't believe that there's always a clear difference between 1 player and another. Rather, there's tiers of players, and positional value and positional needs end up breaking the tie within a tier. In this draft, the first tier in my opinion is probably Garrett, Allen & Adams. If one of those guys drop to 6, you should take them or trade down. You shouldn't reach for a next tier of player. The next tier is probably larger, and probably includes Hooker, Foster, Howard, Williams, the 2 RBs & possibly one or two CBs.

From a traditional positional value standpoint, it's probably WR-CB-LB-RB-TE-S, with the last 4 subject to debate, especially with the emphasis on passing now.

From a Team Need Perspective, it's probably (given the players in that tier) CB-S-WR-TE-LB-RB. Again, this can be debated.

Based on my perceived tie-breaking rankings, I'd say go with the WR or a CB. Of course who is in each tier and the priority of each need and position is very subjective.

7. But therein lies the problem! The whole organization has NO CLUE what they "want to do" at QB or ANY other offensive position. There is absolutely no philosophy on offense...no identity. The closest thing was a physical running game..but that left w. the switch to a zone blocking scheme & Chan Gailey chuck n duck.

They are essentially waiting for a QB to figure out what that identity is. What I think they fail to realize is that in most cases you have a CLUE what you wanna do offensively in order to select a the QB who actually fits. There is absolutely no infrastructure or leadership offensively..which is likely a byproduct of having defensive head coaches for over 20 years & no proper chain of command in place to even things out.

What you end up w. is this "lottery ticket" stakes every time they select a QB..there is absolutely NO forward thinking or planning in order to bring a QB here w. a reasonable floor to grow from. It's pretty much "step up..figure it out on your own..and once your established MAYBE we'll think about building an offense around your strengths"

8. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

I agree. We need offense in today's league. This defensive shit only matters if you have an offense worth a damn

9. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Taking a defensive player makes sense
    What offensive players has New England drafted in round 1?

The Jets BADLY need a guy like Lattimore or Hooker who can defend against the long ball.

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

This draft is supposedly packed with DB talent..I'd take a dynamic offensive talent at 6 and fill the backfield void in the later rounds.

I really hope we find a way to snag Mixon.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You can never have enough Dlinesmen... even if the ones you already have on the roster are all pros. We must keep drafting BPA defense first no matter what. Maybe the Jets can invent a new defensive front: 6-2-3...

Imagine the pass rush from 5 DE's and 1 DT or 6 DE's. We would win so many shootouts! 12-7, 10-3! Can't ya just feel the excitement?? Sitting thru 60 football mins of 3 plays and a cloud of dust. Welcome to the NFL of 1920!

We could save huge chunks of cash by not having to pay for any offensive talent whatsoever. Wouldn't have to worry about who our QB is as we would really have no need for one. Points and offense are overrated anyway. All you need is to score 1 more point than the other guy when the clocks hits zero..

Yay!... BPA Defense! First and always the way to go!! Fuck the Offense... Its 2017 and Franchise Qb's paired with ultra talented Wr's is overrated..All you ever need is defense!

#31 Cman68, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  12. GasedAndConfused

it makes sense? that's your argument? we've done it for 10+ years how well has that worked out for us? we haven't had a good offense since 1998.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Not discounting all those playoff appearances and SB wins are you? Can't forget about those back to back AFCCG Losses...

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The Jets don't need a single defensive player this year or ever until they have a coach that can teach them how to play..of course the same is true on offense and special teams as well.

15. GasedAndConfused

sure we made back to back AFCC games with a bad offense and thats how far we got, we got bested by the other teams having a better QB. in the end our defense couldn't make up for the bad offense

16. GasedAndConfused

they just traded their 1st round pick for cooks ;)

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

those are not bad odds when you are a jets fan

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You nailed it. "Fear of success". I think that's at the root of the SOJ Curse. Time to break it.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

All those arguing for picking a "D" guy first need to step back and consider: This is an offense-driven league, and in particular, a passing league. SO what does that mean? It means no matter who you have playing in the secondary, the rules and the officiating are going to make sure that yardage is racked up and points are scored because that's what TV and the NFL wants. If you think you're going to build this "shut down" defense, you're nuts. The only way to compete is to have an offense that can keep up. Yes, of course you need to have a decent defense, but if you can;t score, your "D" will get worn down and you will lose. Have you not been paying attention to the Jets?

It's long past time to focus on building the offense. Get a FQB. Given who was/is available as FA/Trade, they need to look to the draft, and they're in luck because there are couple of guys who could be the answer, MAcc just needs to have the guts to do it.

20. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

It really doesnt matter. We need talent. Blue chip talent. I dont care what side of the ball its on as long as its a succesful pick.

rohirrim665 likes this.