Same Old Jets after all

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 3rdAnd15Draw, Oct 1, 2006.

1. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Yeah, the greatness of a QB with a 3-6 playoff record. What greatness did we see? The Colts players were so wide open that I could've made the throws Manning did? What we witnessed was another complete collapse by our defense.

2. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

jonathan vilma sucks ass right now and noone is talking about it except for fuckin champ......missed tackles, over pursuit...hes got his head up hhis ass

#42 jonnyd, Oct 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2005
  3. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Are you kidding me?

Manning will go down as one of the best QBs of all time even if he doesn't win a Superbowl bro!

2 weeks ago against the Pats we saw Tom Brady do what he does converting two 3rd down plays against the Jets on their final drive! It's what he does bro!

A collapse to our D to a certain extent...But it's as if you're giving no credit to Manning. I mean, on his play where it looked broken down and he stopped before the line and flicked it to Marvin, really, that's just a great QB!

Right now, be honest 3rd...In the final minutes of a game...Would you take a new defense? Or one of the best QBs of all time with those offensive weapons? We don't have the personnel to matchup man, you cannot shutdown Manning an entire game with a new defense, i'm sorry.

4. 3rdAnd15Draw

The point is you have to try, which the Jets D didn't the last 2 drives. Early in the game on a 3rd down the Jets sent a big blitz and sort of pressured Manning, he had a guy wide open but missed the throw due to the blitz disrupting the timing of the pattern.

Yet in crunch time they just sit back in a prevent, don't attempt to pressure him and are suprised when he finds the open guy? Maybe they blitz the hell out of him and he still torches the D, then you tip your hat to the guy and go on your way. But you don't go out like chumps like the Jets D did today.

5. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Look...When the Jets rushed 4 when Manning had to bring the ball down and step up, almost getting sacked! He has the presence of mind to stay behind the line and fire a perfect pass to Marvin on the sideline...

When the Jets did blitz, it left Miller on an island with Wayne, he did great once...The other one was a very conterversial call on the P.I. 2nd and 20 I was screaming that their was no safety help...

Pick your poison?

6. jetman8094

jetman8094 New Member

If they were the same old Jets the Jets would have been blown out at home and currently stand at 0-4. This team has given me something to build off of every week.

7. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Far from the same old jets.

8. NamathDays

NamathDays New Member

Basically, all I can say is....WE DIDNT WATCH THE SAME GAME...I watched game in person and then watched it in quick run-thru on videotape(DVR is next purchase)....I'm encouraged by their improvement and hardiness. Altho coach made one bad call(love to see what you think it is) it was an excellent game ....we were competetive...against a consistently elite level team. I disagree completely with your premise.

9. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I agree with you about the run defense, but the problem I saw is that Manning didn't have to be all that great. Do you remember that many pinpoint passes he had to a well covered receiver?

IMHO Manning had all day to throw because the Jets were only rushing 3 guys for most of the second half. Unfotunately the Jets couldn't cover the receivers close at all.

10. 3rdAnd15Draw

The decision to go for the TD on 4th and 2 was brilliant(the playcall, much much less so) and at least showed an awareness from Mangini of how pathetic the Jets defense is. Hopefully he'll be able to address that in the coming weeks.

11. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I gotta agree with 3rdand15 - I don't remember a great throw by Peyton. It was definitely more of the WR getting open than Manning "threading the needle".

12. boomer

boomer Active Member

If you keep reinforcing that image then it's always going to be that way. After all, the Yankees prior to 1923 were just "the same old Yanks."

13. dogg

dogg Member

Bingo...Jets D gets an F.

14. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

yeah....

you got to put on the defense.....

this is year one guys......if we see a turd like that with the defense in year 3 then we can all say same ole jets.....

i have a hunch we wont get that chance

jil

15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I wouldn't say same old Jets but I garee mostly w/ what you wrote. this was as bad a loss as we have suffered in 10 years. Obviously that madden-like call to go for it on 4th and 3 killed us but as far as the D I thought it was a mistake taking 4-3 personnel and turning them into a 3-4 and I still think it's a mistake.

conservative play calling, being unprepared and having to burn 2 TOs and a major coaching blunder cost us this game even more than the terrible D. We know our D will get torched but we had the weapons to combat it by scoring points and we left points on the field.

16. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The aggressive play calling cost us 3 but it also got us 7 (Onside Kick). That's plus 4 not to mention that not kicking the ball to the Colts after our first TD took away a Colts possession. The aggressiveness of Mangini probably had a 7 to 11 point swing in our favor.

I'm not arguing that it was a bad call not kicking the FG but being both aggressive and prudent comes with experience. I will take the aggressiveness every time at this stage.

17. glenn212

glenn212 New Member

Exactly Right Wb

18. nyjunc

we weren't agressive all day, we ran it 37 times to 23 passing attempts when we were strugglin to run and passing all over them. The OSK was a gutsy call and I could have lived w/ them not getting it and giving Indy great FP- at that time the risk was worth it but tied up late in the 3rd you HAVE to take the points. We ran it 3 times after we had 1st and G from the 7 then a 4th and G from the 3 is almost impossible espcially w/ the personnel we had on the field(we had the short yardage O in) when indy knew we were throwing.

19. 3rdAnd15Draw

For whatever reason we seem to come out with the Hackett offense for the first quarter, but they definitely weren't passing all over Indy in the first quarter either. If I remember correctly both teams actually had negative passing yards in the first quarter. When the pass protection tightened up we started having success throwing and then success with the run. I'm not sure what the issue is with the offense at the start of the game but this is the 4th time in a row they've come out of the gate and put themselves in a hole with flat, uninspired play.

20. nyjunc

We ran it 9 times and threw it 6 times in the 1st qtr but w/ the runs we put ourselves in bad passing downs. We came out w/ a throw on 1st down but the next few drivs we did this:

- run, run, pass- it was 3rd and 11 when we passed.
    - run, run, passs- it was 3rd and 10 when we passed.
    -We passed on 2nd down creating a 3rd and 2 which we got then after a penalty it was 1st and 15 and we ran fro 3 yds then had an incompletiona nd ran on 3rd and 12.