Sam & Teddy making a statement

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Aug 10, 2018.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

He was banged up, did not play

2. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

I kept talking about the Jets rookie quarterback and my wife keeps saying who Darnold ?? while doing random house errands ... she has never known a single player on the Jets so there goes something :)

3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

4. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

There was also a moment when someone asked him if he had butterflies and he said something like “I always hear people talk about that but I’ve never really felt it before”

5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

The eventual TD pass was a beautiful pass. Rolled out to his right and fired a bullet to a spot where it couldnt be defended. After two TDs taken away, very impressive.

ColoradoContrails and zace like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I truly feel sorry for anyone who could watch Teddy and Sam play and say that there was nothing special about their play and can't get at least a little excited about the Jets potential. Life must be hell being that cynical and jaded.

8. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

We've been QB-starved forever it seems, and now we have three good ones. What a shocking turnaround. I'm going to hate seeing Teddy go, because as much as I love Darnold, had he not been on the team I'd be celebrating Bridgewater's performance today and happily naming him our new leader. His comeback would be the story. It makes no sense having three QB's when only two can be active on game day.

Why does the NFL have that two-QB active per game rule? Are there limits on other positions? I don't remember why that is or when it became a rule. I just have a feeling something might make us regret letting Teddy go. It better be for a high pick, as in a 2.

LF911SC likes this.
  9. LF911SC

Unchartered territory. This really is a new era, LOL

10. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Tom Brady's reign will be over!

11. NCJetsfan

Your post confuses me. First you say that

westiedog1 likes this.
  12. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

I'm really curious what the possibility is of them having Bridgewater start and have Darnold as the heir apparent waiting in the wings. I don't think they are necessarily decided on this yet. The thing is, they really can't afford to keep Teddy as back up if Darnold starts because in that case they sort of need to cash in on his value. (not to mention its kind of messed up to do to him on his comeback trail if he plays great in preseason). I'll just find it a little annoying to have McCown starting with these other two guys in the mix because I think they would be in the worst position to win that way. Clearly if Darnold continues to look great they will probably start him day 1, and in that case I do see Teddy gone. I just hope it doesn't come back to bite us, because he looked great.

Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

they one hop catche. I'll never understand rap music if I live to a be a hundred.

14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Great post, but don't agree with this small piece. From what I saw last night, it's obvious to me that Darnold has all the necessary tools to be great. The only thing he lacks is experience, and the only way to get that is to play. I love Teddy too, and lost in everything "Darnold" last night was how well Teddy played (also how well the D played.) However, it's was also clear that the future of the Jets is Darnold and not Teddy. Conversely, it won't kill Teddy to sit and be Darnold's backup for a year, build confidence and strength in the knee. As you said, QB's get injured all the time, so he will probably get some opportunities.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

With the exception of building trade value, there is no reason to start Bridgewater. He will be gone at the end of the year, or earlier if traded. He wants to start and there’s no way he’s sticking around to hold a clipboard for Darnold. If Darnold understands the playbook, he should start immediately. Given his decisiveness making his reads yesterday and his apparent confidence, I think he’ll be starting week one. It’s very unusual to see a rookie in his first game be so decisive in his reads and progressions and he played incredibly well for his first game. He will make mistakes and have bad games, but the reason to start him now is that he starts learning from those mistakes.

I saw Sanchez’ first preseason game also and I remember that he was basically locking in on one receiver and just throwing it to him. They had very simplified playcalling for him. I don’t remember him going through his progressions, etc. in that game.

westiedog1 and JohnnyJet1222 like this.
  16. LF911SC

Seriously?

Red Menace likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

That's fine my friend. No one said that we had to agree on everything. I do agree that Darnold appears to have all the necessary tools to be great. I don't know that I agree that the only thing he lacks is experience, but you could be right. Even so, it wouldn't hurt him to sit for a few games behind Teddy. In fact it might help, as it could possibly save Darnold from getting injured if the OL struggles early. Even if they don't struggle and play well. More than likely, Teddy's value would only go higher if he starts the season for the Jets, plays very well, and then another team's starting QB goes down with a season-ending injury. The Jets could wind up getting a 1st round pick for Teddy and could then hand the ball to Darnold. I think it would be an easier and smoother transition for him to start his first game several games into the season than it would be to have the pressure of starting Day 1.

I also disagree that it could kill Teddy to be Darnold's backup all year. It could very easily hurt his chances to be a starter again in the NFL. Teams might think of him from that point on as only a backup, especially if he sits and never plays. Even if it didn't, it would hurt what the Jets got in return for him. For Teddy's sake, I'd rather he start the first few games and then get traded to a team that has lost its starting QB where he can start the rest of the season.

LogeSection2RowJ and westiedog1 like this.
  18. LogeSection2RowJ

We can only have two active QB's on game day. We now have three capable, game-ready QB's for the first time ever. I'm wishing we could keep all three, though it doesn't make sense to do that because of the NFL game active rules.

19. LogeSection2RowJ

I agree with you. My earlier post was a reaction to the must trade Teddy talk. In your scenario, McCown is inactive each week? So, what is he then, not dressed, but still on the sidelines helping out? $10 million assistant QB coach. I just don't see the team doing that.

20. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

17-0 is far from a Blowout lol