Sam Darnold Era Officially Begins .

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LF911SC, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I’m excited to see this happen, I have been a proponent of getting the rookie real game experience when games count early in the season.

Darnold is not going about this alone, the guys will get behind him and help him with the little things during meaningful games.

There is something to be said about Sam practicing with first team then playing the whole game with them.

I know there will be growing pains, literal and figuratively, all rookie QBs experience them, I’m just hoping he gets through them as quickly and healthy as possible.

I can’t wait for regular season to start.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Like I mentioned in the Bridgewater trade thread...this says so much about Sam's mental make-up and the coaches belief in his ability to play through adversity.

At 21 years of age (and with limited college starts) that, to me at least, is very impressive.

While I'd love to see a more vertical attack, that's just me being selfish. His playing style should make it difficult to defend his improvisational skills.

Any player can be injured on any play. Holding Darnold back in fear is a disservice to him & the team.

The Dark Knight and Harpua like this.
  3. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Whats going to change for the OL after 5 or 6 games? Half the season? If youre afraid to play someone in week 1 why weeks later? And if someone on the OL goes down then what, wait until next season to play him?

Ptflea2 and Harpua like this.
  4. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

This has been my concern as well. But I will say that our line isn't any worse than last year's version, and McCown wasn't getting slaughtered. Of course, he's a vet and knows what's coming more so than our rookie will... I hope the offense isn't run extra-conservatively the first few games now that Darnold is being thrown into the fire. We could be 0-3 before we blink. That's a scenario that concerns me because it seems like that is the "Jet-Way"

McCagnan got a decent return for Teddy, but I do think this decision could cost us a win or two in the first half of the year. We were a better team starting the season with Teddy behind center IMO. Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE Darnold fan. It's just my gut feeling. I'm trying to get over that by daydreaming that Sam is poised, has a great first game, wins on the road, and becomes the talk of the NFL right out of the box. Which is scenario that will collectively cause all of our heads to explode.

5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

The Sam Darnold Era started with Roger Goodell stepping up to the mic and saying “With the 3rd pick in the 2018 NFL Draft the New York Jets select...”

6. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Bowles said he never said Darnold was the starter...

7. Royal Tee

aaaaand That tweet has been deleted.

FJF likes this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Irrelevant. Sam is clearly the starter. Who knows why Bowles won't announce it? Just the way he is. Not like it gives them a competitive advantage. The Lions already know too. I think it will actually give the team some electricity if Bowles officially announces Darnold as the starter. Maybe he will Monday.

Trade Teddy, Start McCown tonight, sit Sam, yet won't announce him as starter? Classic Bowles!

Royal Tee likes this.
  9. Royal Tee

Just stating the facts.... Not saying I disagree but it's from Bowles' mouth. ;)

The Dark Knight likes this.
  10. DefenseWinsChampionships

As you mentioned the writing is on the wall. Traded Teddy, played McCown tonight and sat Darnold in order to keep him safe; Sam Darnold is our opening night starter.

But to answer the bold. Because it's not Todd Bowles' job to announce anything to the media. And that's why he won't or has not announced it.

Unlike Rex and moreso Belichick, Todd Bowles literally tries to keep everything in house and amongst his players, coaching staff and locker room and imo, rightfully so.

You can't get an honest answer out of Bill Belichick. Ever. Just look @ his old injury reports of years past mentally he is a madman. He'll even lie to Congress and the Supreme Court if need be. And he'll rather mumble while speaking to reporters before giving a straight forward answer. I respect and like Belly in that regard.

And I'm glad that our HC in Bowles has yet to officially announce anything to the media, because it's not his job to provide them with any type of insider information in order to make their job as writer's and media pundits a little bit easier. They aren't in his foxhole so to say.

11. LF911SC

Ah, who cares.

Common sense tells us exactly what that tweet and the one the NFL tweeted out

He's our QB.

12. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

The O line the O line the O line. Here’s hoping that Sam doesn’t develop David Carr syndrome. Only the Jets would finally land a potential long term answer at QB and put him behind a sieve of an offensive line

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Thought id be excited but im already beaten downby the same old shit from Bowles D & the absolutely dreadful talent around Darnold on O.

This could be Archie Manning 2.0. Wake me up when we officially are picking 6 again & Bowles hints at improving the D at his final presser

14. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I think he has a lotta weapons to work with. Robbie Anderson is the fastest, most explosive wr the Jets have had since Santana Moss. Jermaine Kearse won a SB in Seatle with another young QB. How good this group is depends on how Enunwa comes back from his injury if he comes back 100% or close to it it's one of the better groups of WRs in the NFL I think.

Powell at RB he's getting up there but he still has gas left in the tank.

Now we find out what he can do with them.

15. I truly hope im wrong but im just not buying it. Pryor’s on a 1 year deal,Kearse is not a long term fixture & neither Enunwa or Anderson are certain to be on the field every week for assorted reasons. Anderson being the most explosive since Santana isnt saying much.Moss did have great talent but he was only explosive maybe 6 games out of the regular season.Anderson is similar in that way..he has explosive ability but its not a consistent every week thing. I understand the sum of all parts aspect but none of these guys can be counted on to be on the field every week. It all looks decent on paper but i question the substinence

I think folks are mistaking complimentary pieces as consistently explosive weapons bc weve had the likes of David Nelson,Clyde Gates & Shaq Evans for so long.

#75 KurtTheJetsFan, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2018
  16. Royal Tee

Oh...I'm sorry for not having common sense... ...Seriously? foh

17. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Robbie Anderson is good. Real good. He did what he did last year with McCown at QB. His problem is the off the field stuff.

IF Darnold is the real deal he should easily be a 1,000+ yards wr. They'll all be more productive players because of him. I forgot about Pryor that dude has beast mode size & athletic ability. I still remember him looking like the second coming of Megatron against Revis when the Jets played Cleveland a couple of years ago having a guy like that at the bottom of the depth chart is insane.

Darnold has weapons no doubt about it.

18. LF911SC

I'm sorry that simple little line hurt you that much. gfb

19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

A part of me loves how Todd Bowles is trolling the media like this haha

Everyone knows Darnold is the starter but I love how he keeps saying "I haven't decided yet" or "We are still evaluating everything" lmao

20. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Nope. It started when I changed my username. It wasn't official until that moment.

NCJetsfan likes this.