Sam Darnold Era Officially Begins .

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LF911SC, Aug 29, 2018.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

For everyone wondering about Sam Darnold not looking like a Brett Favre or a Patrick Mahomes type of gun slinger throughout our preseason, you all may be rooting for the wrong one.

Just take a look at this video below (as it'll highlight his every TD throw throughout his USC career).

And mostly all of his TD's came from inside the 20-30 yard lines.

He's a robot once in scoring range and one who did not make mistakes once inside the 20's.

He's an absolute machine who not only picks your defense apart but one who also matriculates the ball down the field while keeping the chains moving on 3rd downs.

Darnold was absolutely flawless once inside the Red Zone while @ USC.

#41 DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    dawinner127, GQMartin, K'OB and 2 others like this.
  2. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Jeez, way to think big... I know we're all success starved addicts but if you're going to plead with the unseen forces in the universe at least plead big: Please let him turn into a legit top 10 all time NFL QB with multiple SB MVP awards and a genuine first ballot HoFer.

(In the hope said universal unseen force cuts us a little slack and gives us a legit top 10 franchise QB).

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I have Robbie and Q or Kearse in a variety of teams, so I will be well in or bust lol

I am just waiting to see who our TE is going to be before picking them up on a free. I guess there will be a lot of passes coming there way and Q's if he plays a hybrid roll.

4. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

We had Kenny O'Brien!
    He was a legit franchise guy who gets forgotten because of the rest of the 83 draft class

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

5. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Liked the way he flipped the ball to the refs after his rushing TD's.

6. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Can’t help but be excited. The goal for this season has to be to keep Darnold from absorbing too many big hits, and for him to continue progressing, particularly in getting rid of the ball quicker and his PSRs. In terms of statistics, if he puts up numbers at or above McCown from last year, we Jets fans should be pretty happy.

#Can’tWait

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

For as long as I can remember, with the number of re-hashed and wanna be QBs, the biggest angst was our massive inability to come up with touchdowns once in the red zone. Game after game we would settle for three just to watch the opposition dance back with 30 seconds to go and punch it in from inside the twenty. Now we have a guy that arguably could be the very best we ever had inside the 20 and a no kidding FQB. Yet many are worried about his lack of deep ball accuracy as a major flow. I have not seen enough of his big ball throw but he is barely 21 with the ability to continue to get stronger. I take red zone accuracy any day over the three or four long bombs that we might throw in a game. Shit, we went gaga with Fitz and many other "hopefuls" who didn't have half the tools after a zillion years in this freaking league. We should count our blessings.

8. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Once Darnold demonstrated he was undoubtedly ready to start then the job was his. He knows the playbook, can adjust protection, reads the D, looks totally at home out there and he doesn't need babying. I'd have been happy to sit him if there were genuine question marks over his ability to cope but there aren't. This isn't a Sachez/Geno situation. He's about as ready as any rookie can be to start game 1 and looks far more advanced than the other QBs, some of whom were supposedly far more ready than him. Everything from here is about him learning in game situations, he really isn't going to get much better without playing now. I can't wait!

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Well said. People have brought up playing 3 games in 11 days with the Lions, then Dolphins, then Browns. Sure it will not be easy for Sam, but like you pointed out: it will be a good learning lesson. You don't learn how to deal with playing in 3 games in 11 days without actually doing it. So yes, he is being thrown into the fire, but he can handle it and learn from it.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

While it is technically playing 3 games in 11 days, only one of those is on a truly shortened week. Full week of prep for the Lions, 1 less day for the Dolphins, and a short week for Cleveland.

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

impossible. everyone here says bowles doesn't start rookies

Harpua and Sam Hammer like this.
  12. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

Ken O'Brien?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_O'Brien

13. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I have to admit, that thought was in the back of my head. It's good to see that Darnold showed enough to start over both Teddy and McCown. Good sign for the future.

Harpua likes this.
  14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I just hope Beechum is fully healthy by then. Other wise I will be watching the game nervous as hell! Remember Sanchez' happy feet? That will be me in my living room!

16. jetophile

I'm already pacing, pacing, pacing about Detroit and the Eagles game isn't until 7:00 tonight. I'm not happy about Darnold in Week 1 at all. Now that Bridgewater has been traded, let McCown be a human punching bag at least the first half of the season and have Wolford do mop up duty if the line really appears to be that bad when the season kicks off. Can't we just see first? Sam is obviously way ahead of the learning curve, but I'm just not comfortable with this decision at all . . . unless the Jets have something up their sleeve that we don't know about yet . . . which could be visitor passes to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital and a bunch of 'Get Well Soon!' cards.

17. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

So you think this is a lost season from the get go? I'm genuinely curious.

18. jetophile

No, not at all. It's just that someone like Darnold is a once in a life time occurrence for this organization and do we ever deserve it. Sam has great escapability and he can turn nothing into something and doesn't get rattled; but if he can't be reasonably protected, it makes me extremely apprehensive. I'm not convinced he can be reasonably protected. I would like to see if he can be reasonably protected after seeing if someone else besides him - even if their skill set is lesser - can be reasonably protected in the regular season.

19. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

I get being a little nervous about breaking the shiny new toy but you bought it to play with it, not let it collect dust in the box.

Not starting Darnold week 1 and Bowles loses the locker room before October.

Harpua likes this.
  20. jetophile

I'm a lot nervous. I don't think Darnold would be collecting dust, anyway. Just learning (and diligently at that); but I've been willing all along to have his on field development slightly delayed as opposed to having him killed if you want to weigh things on a scale. Just my opinion. OL ain't getting fixed by Week 1. Just gotta bite the bullet now and hope he doesn't get drilled and blind-sided like there's no tomorrow. I have no doubt about his mental toughness, but if he gets injured because of stupidity, ain't no-one in Jetsland gonna be happy. People get killed falling out of bed in the morning, I know; but to me this is like driving 80 in a 30 without a seal-belt in a blind spot.