Sam Darnold after 6 weeks. Did he meet your expectations?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Oct 14, 2018.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Yup. Heck after an entire year Goff was a bust and Prescott was the best of the class, better than Wentz. Darnold has looked encouraging so far, but it's too early to tell for any of these QBs.

Longsuffering88 likes this.
  2. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

I really saw only 1 bad decision this Sunday, and that was on the little jump pass going to sideline which was tipped and almost picked. And even there he was trying to make something happen. It wasn’t a ridiculously dumb decision (like his first NFL pass ever was). He’s making incredible progress incredibly quick.

His pick Sunday was because his elbow got hit. The read on the throw was perfect.

Honestly, I think we are all very skeptical because we let ourselves believe when they drafted Sanchez that we had the guy, and it ended up getting us hurt when he made it clear that he wasn’t. Lets all wash that away collectively and realize we have a hell of a kid here to watch grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FJF likes this.
  3. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

people here were going nuts. i had 1 in particular who harassed me and bumped every mayfield comment/thread i made. he's on ignore now but i imagine he's gone pretty quiet since mayfield has sucked the past 2 weeks now that teams are getting film on him.

5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I still need to see him bring the team back from a deficit in the second half or last couple of minutes of a game, Jets trailing (Cleveland game for example) then he brings them back to win.

Still Darnold looks like the real deal.

It's the intangibles I started to see from him in the Jacksonville game. These are things I NEVER saw in Sanchez or Geno.

6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

He's a Brown.

That's what the Browns do.

#126 WarriorRB28, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i was referring to the poster lol not the browns or mayfield in particular

8. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Darnold has struggled against good defenses..Right now the Vikings defense hasnt been playing up to the level they can.I expect the Jets to come into this game wanting to destroy Kirk Cousins for turning down more money and not coming to the Jets.Every player on the Jets roster needs to take that personal and take it with them on the field Sunday and we will blow out the Vikings.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Well every player except for Sam.
    But seriously, the players do not give a single fuck about what perceived slight cousins made towards the jets. All of them will be sending him Xmas cards thanking him for getting a fully guaranteed contract and starting a trend and giving them leverage for more contracts to be fully guaranteed.
    The only ones making this a revenge game are the writers that have no other angle to use to sell clicks this week.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He was solid against Denver despite the drops and missed PI calls. Denver held the Rams to 23 points.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Trivia: Who's the first freshman in the history of college football to win the Archie Griffin MVP Award?

12. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Darnold's mistakes and shortcomings are pretty forgivable, and seem to be improving as the weeks go on. Yeah, he looked rough in weeks 2 through 4, but not lost, defeated, and out of his league. I think he's going to be our long term QB. The question will be what kind of franchise QB will he be? Serviceable with moments of brilliance, along the lines of a Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning, Matt Ryan, or Joe Flacco? Or one of the greats that makes the Jets perennial Super Bowl contenders?

Brook! likes this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why would anyone on the Jets be concerned that Cousins wanted to go elsewhere? That's just business. Why would they take it personally that another player tried to get the best deal for himself?

If they need to find such artificial methods of motivation this is going to be a much longer season than many here expect. (And that is longer in the sense of how it will feel and not the number of games they play.) They need to find their motivation during the week on the practice field and put it to use on Sunday between the lines.

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Sam's tied with Big Ben and Philip Rivers for most TD passes of over 20+ yards with seven. .

And to think we were all bellyaching about him not throwing deep 15 minutes ago.

Btw, if anyone 'taped' last sunday's game, check out the drive (with less than a minute left) just before halftime - sweet..

And in that same situation pre-Darnold Bowles would've taken a knee.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Baker Mayfield!!!!!

Oh wait.....wrong one

Footballgod214 likes this.
  16. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

To be fair to Bowles, I recall him trying something similar with McCown back there last season, and it backfiring horribly when McCown got intercepted. I think it led to points the other way haha.

Back on topic, really excited by Darnold's ability to execute in those situations! He's exceeded my expectations given I thought he'd be sitting early with McCown and Bridgewater on the team in pre-season.

FJF likes this.