Saints acquire LB Vilma from Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Feb 29, 2008.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Saints acquire LB Vilma from Jets
    12 minutes ago

Thanks JV and good luck in NO.

2. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

so is it offical

3. gustoonarmy

looks that way , (sorry just seen your thread , still asleep)

Jonathan Vilma finally got his wish ? to get out from under Jets head coach Eric Mangini.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7853690/Source:-Jets-ship-Vilma-to-Saints

Comments from the fox board

As usual the Lions had a chance to land a good player and they once again blew it.

To hell with Millen,Ford and Marinelli aswell management BLEEP s from top to bottom.
    They will just end up trading Shaun Rogers for a late draft pick and then they will end up cutting the draft pick to take yet another cap hit.
    Ford supports BLEEP rights just because Millens a Flamer

A conditional pick is the best case scenario for New York. Vilma was a force on the field, and had true leadership skills. He did not want to be there, though, making some sort of move necessary. This is as good as it gets for them.

If he gets hurt some more, the Jets don't get a very good pick, sure, but then they didn't waste time playing backups the rest of the season. If he's healthy in New Orleans, then they get a good pick.

The Jets really lost out on this one. The Saints acquired a true player and a team leader on the field and a true gentleman off the field. We are going to miss him here in New York.

Hahahahahahahaha.... The Jets got stripped down, handcuffed, and screwed up the BLEEP chute with no lube on this deal. Vilma hated the 3-4 because he's not a 3-4 linebacker... the Saints need a star LB and they run the 4-3... it's perfect for the Saints, perfect for Vilma... and I guess it'll be ok for the Jets 'cause assuming he doesn't get injured he's going to rack up a lot of playing time.

Vilma is going to be a beast for the Saints. The Jets are losing out on this deal. If the saints can score a decent CB in either the draft or free agency, they'll be a team to watch.

4. asscue35

asscue35 New Member

If Vilma turns out great for the Saints how the hell does that hurt us?The guy would not have been resigned next year so to get anything for him is great.He was certainly not in our plans.If we get a conditional draft pick for him that will be awesome.The Saints should be at least a 10 win team next season and if Vilma plays as well as I expect him to then we may possibly get a better draft pick.

5. gustoonarmy

I agree , he would have been gone next year for nowt. Best case scenario is we will possibly get a 2nd round comp pick for him at a guess. Just hope his injury is behind him now.

6. nevbeats319

i just wished we got something for this year....and are they extending his contract?

7. hookteeth

hookteeth Member

I think he would have if mangini and tann would not rub all their good players the wrong way. It seems that our management doesn't know how to treat their players, so we had to deal him for little or no value. If he does great in New Orleans there's no way a second round pick is worth Vilma or even near compensation. Just look what they get, a leader and an anchor for years to come on the defense. I think he will even make the pro-bowl for them next year.

8. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Do we yet know what the pick could be? We're not certain a No.2 is the max are we? What if the Jets get a No.1 because Vilma was a holy terror at MLB?

9. nevbeats319

vilma just started joggin and hes goin to make pro bowl?

10. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

We won't be getting any comp picks for anyone. We'll be net buyers in FA.

Dunno how anyone can evaluate the deal here before we know what the conditional picks are and what the conditions are to trigger them?

11. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

So as long as the knee holds up, we'll get a 2nd (maybe even a 1st), and if it doesn't, we get I would assume a 4th at worst.

Good deal.

12. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Where's everyone getting these numbers from (2nd round, 3rd round...etc)? Did they even disclose that yet?

13. southwestjet

southwestjet New Member

FUck that, the whole deal stinks what a fuckin sham, this is bullshit!! There go the Jets, trading away my favorite players just to see them blow up elsewhere, fuck that shit, I'm fuckin done.

14. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Multiple places have said conditional pick in 2009. Nothing official yet.

15. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

Because they're your favorite players, we gotta keep them?
    :shit:
    Get off it man, Vilma is shit in the 3-4. Shit. teams knew we just needed to dump him, and you know what? I WANT him to blow up. The better he does, the better draft pick we get. :up:

16. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Ok, so where's all of the complaining comming from. We were trying to trade a player with a degenerative knee condition before he even made it beyond the jogging stage of his rehab. He will still most likely be a force in the 4-3 but he was in a system that wasn't suited for him and wanted to get the hell out of town. At what point were we ever holding the leverage in this trade?

17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

It doesn't hurt the team, it just means we have to watch another good Jet go off and have a strong career with another franchise. I wish him well though, he seems like a good guy and things obviously weren't working out for him here.

18. southwestjet

southwestjet New Member

"Because they're your favorite players, we gotta keep them?
    "

I didn't say shit about that, read the post over again.

Another "draft pick" that the front office knows best about right?

You "get off it" because I've been "off it."

FUCK THAT

19. nevbeats319

then go be a saints fan then...you must not have watched the games since 2005...vilma was lost in this defence..

20. southwestjet

southwestjet New Member

Well I have to apologize, it's the initial shock over seeing this shit. I didn't honestly beileve to log in on the ganggreen and see this...

Now thinking about it in the long run...eh, it might work out, who knows.

Right now, just too heated, so just ignore my post vinjets and whoever else...