Rumor- Take it for what it's worth, re cuts

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by xjets2002x, Mar 6, 2006.

1. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I don't usually post anything like this, because everything I write is backed up by logical reasoning and paperwork. That being said, as a collegiate news reporter and editorialist, I know a good source when I have one.

A good source of mine, who used to work at the FAN and now represents a slew of local athletes in a media capacity informed me that THE TWO PLAYERS WHO THREW PENNINGTON UNDER THE BUS ANONYMOUSLY IN THE NEWSPAPER were JASON FABINI and KEVIN MAWAE. This is very rock solid.

Additionally, while the franchise hierarchy remains truly committed to Pennington personally and professionally, and really hopes he can return to form, there are a large group of players who are ready to move on and get someone else in there. The crisis of confidence regarding Pennington, who I personally think gets a raw deal for the last two years when he was injured, runs so deep that supposedly even his good buddy Laveranues Coles would prefer to be catching passes from someone else. The line is that he is a sympathy hound and a real "woe is me" type.

Take this for what it's worth, it's short on physical substance, but it's from someone that I trust as a good source. Hilariously, he also informed me (as it pertains to Rangers fans, who are many in this forum) that the reason Kevin Weekes has struggled so much in New York is because the guy is a bit of a social wild man and he had a little bit more Manhattan nightlife than he could handle initially.

-X-

2. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

Word?....................

3. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

if this is true, this bothers me a great deal. unlike you, i think pennington deserves the crap that he's been given. he has done nothing to prove he was worth his 1st round pick and his ridiculous contract. i don't care if injuries are the reason behind it, because you're paid to perform, not to give excuses. while i do not have TOO much of a problem with the cuts (i really hated seeing fabini on the field, and mawae was on his way down definitely, although i would definitely would have liked to keep him on), i do have a problem with the message that this sends. to me it seems like the players and management will be at odds with each other. it seems the players are sick of trying to rally behind pennington, and who wouldn't be, while the coaches apparently still have a lot of faith in him. i was fine with the way things were shaping up until reading this because it makes me believe that the new management is just as much in love with pennington as herm was, and i think that was a big part of the jets' problem.

4. baamf

baamf Active Member

I stopped reading after the first line....

:wink:

5. GreenGiant 32

GreenGiant 32 New Member

It would be really surprising [for me atleast] to Know that Mawae was one of the two who came out publicly against Chad. It's such a slimely way to conduct yourself, by hiding as an anonymous source, that I think he's due the benefit of the doubt. For the simple fact that he's been such a stand up guy during his career as a Jet. Fabini on the otherhand... wouldn't surprise me in the least.

6. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I don't think they are crazy in love with him. They are bringing a FA to compete. Most people here think we will draft a QB early in the draft. Pennington had his salary reduced because the club couldn't afford to straight up cut him. There are so few leftovers from the old regime, although Tannenbaum is a major one, I feel Pennington is just getting his last chance. If he doesn't make it this year, the club will cut him or demote him and we'll move on. Pennington has the fire to win, which is the first step to being a good QB(Ryan Leaf lacked it).

7. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Well this would better explain why Mawae was cut despite a minimal cap savings.

8. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

that plus hes done as a two-dollar steak...

9. The Dude

The Dude New Member

IF this is true do you see the cuts of Mawae and Fabini as a coincidence or planned? Mangini might be trying to promote unity amongst the team and any decenters get dealt with.

With that said it makes 100% sense to cut those 2 anyway, but this was going through my mind.

10. KSJets

KSJets New Member

It's not like we're dealing with minor injuries here. Did you even see the picture of when Chad's arm got pulled back in the Jacksonville game? I'm sorry, but anyone would have gotten hurt with that shot. Your arm just doesn't bend that way.

I could see if he was tweaking a hamstring or some minor issues, but these are significant injuries to deal with. It's not like he's saying "ouch, I stubbed a toe, I can't play." He played with a torn rotator cuff for crying out loud. They're not excuses, they are fact.

11. thshadow

thshadow Member

Thanks for the info. Your posts are uniformly very reasonable and rational, so I put a lot more stock in what you say here than a lot of the other rumors that are posted.

12. vegaskarl

vegaskarl Well-Known Member

Here are the REAL FACTS or at least IMHO: Fabini, Mawae and Pennington were never going to be in the Jet future by the new management. It doesn't matter what Kevin and Jason said about Chad because the new guys believe the same thing. THE ONLY REASON CHAD IS STILL HERE IS BEACUSE HE TOOK A SALARY CUT AND REDUCED HIS CAP HIT FROM 12 MILLION TO 6 MILLION. If the cap hit to cut him was only going to be $4 million he would be gone now.