Rex Ryan Hasn't Learned a Thing

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by HomeoftheJets, May 27, 2016.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

2. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Why do you guys care about RR so much? That's all you talk about around here. You'd think it would get old for you guys after a while but it doesn't. Sad, really. Like a guy who can't get over his ex. Just give it up. The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference.

3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Rex and Rob are both pretty self-destructive. Putting them together will either make them unstoppable or end both their careers. Either way, unfortunately, they'll likely beat the Jets twice again this year.

4. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Same reason you are on here every day instead of a bills forum..

5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

What exactly 'hasn't he learned', based on this interview?

6. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

The ladder is much more bound to happen in this situation. Best case scenario for the Bills is they win 9 games this year and maybe push for a playoff spot. Maybe that earns this duo another year but eventually it will get old and they will be out of Buffalo.

I remember a couple years ago when Rex was the coach here , a reporter brought up the idea of him and Rob maybe coaching together one day and Rex shot it down pretty quickly. Something about personalities clashing etc. As much as Jets fans now hate Rex for some reason , one thing is for sure and that is he is a much smarter defensive coach than Rob is. But both of them seem to have the same bravado. Recipe for disaster. And if (when) Rex flames out in Buffalo , Im not sure he's going to get another HC shot. But ya never know.

#6 irishwhip03, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
  7. HomeoftheJets

One of Rex's main problems is his complete lack of flexibility. When things aren't working, he (and apparently his brother too) make excuses rather than adjustments. For example, he inherited a defense last year that was borderline elite and completely changed the scheme, frustrating the hell out of his players. Now he's saying that the problem was that he didn't go far enough. Okay Rex. Meanwhile, his brother has flamed out of Dallas and NO, and he's blaming everyone else but himself for his failures. No accountability whatsoever.

The sad part is that Rex actually has qualities (great defensive mind, gets his players to play hard for him) that can make him a very successful coach. But if he keeps up with this attitude, he's going to throw it away.

8. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Rex Ryan re: Mario Williams to a team reporter

"He's a good kid, but I am used to some mean motherf—ers that play out there. The Terrell Suggs, Jarrett Johnsons of the world. I screwed them, too; I had them drop [into coverage], too. Not one of them bitched. Von Miller [dropped into coverage] in the Super Bowl. Why? Because that's what's asked of him; that’s what his job is. Your job is to play. Coaches spend a hell of a lot more time studying tape and everything else. They are trying to put the team in the best position to be successful, not an individual."

tiger8mush likes this.
  9. TwoHeadedMonster

Maybe it's a ruse-- Rob is going to get his tummy-tuck, too, then they can disguise themselves as one another, allowing Rob to be the HC and Sexy Rexy to be the DC. I don't think either of these guys is HC material, but at lest Rex is a competent DC, unlike Rob. Might as well put SOMEBODY in a position to succeed-- probably not Mario Williams, though.....

10. BacktoQueens

did you read the interview?
    He tried keeping the existing defense, rather than completing changing the scheme (as you claim), and that approach didn't work out well for him.

I'm struggling to understand what about this interview warranted yet another Rex thread, or this thread title..

11. BacktoQueens

How is that any different from our situation?

If Buffalo wins 9 against this schedule, it will be the result of good coaching and staying healthy.
    same as here.
    I don't think winning seasons will quickly get old in Buff either, considering how bad they've been this century.

My bet is their D improves this season after underperforming last year.
    However, the criticial pieces of their Offense.... Taylor, McCoy and Watkins, are all injury prone.
    If Taylor in particular goes down, things could go south quickly. Likewise, if we don't sign Fitz, i think things could go south quickly for us....but our key offensive pieces are not as injury prone.

12. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Rob already had one. He recently had it surgically removed.

13. TwoHeadedMonster

Well, as much as I would love one more thing to give them a hard time about, from what I hear you can only eat like a quarter chicken wing at a time or some such. Sounds pretty miserable to me. I'd have the thing removed, too.

14. HomeoftheJets

Supposedly keeping the existing defense is just Rex's latest excuse. It fits the same pattern of previous excuses Rex has always made: say the problem was that you didn't go all out rather than that you were part of the problem. When Schottenheimer's offense failed, Rex said the problem was that he didn't get to pick his guy for OC (which isn't really true) and then doubled down on conservative offenses by picking Sparano. Later, the problem was that ownership and Idzik wouldn't let him do things his way. Now it's that he didn't build the Buffalo defense his way even though it was better the season before without him. And the narrative that last year's defense wasn't really Rex's is completely new. I never heard anything like that during the season. In reality, in the early part of the season, Rex was going on and on about how he was overhauling the defense and making it his.

Red Menace likes this.
  15. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

I cant look at our situation in a complete way until the Fitz situation is finalized. If he's back then there really is no reason why this team cant win 10 games and make the playoffs. If its Geno or someone else then we're a last place team , just that simple. And that puts Bowles and Mac on the hot seat , whether fairly or unfairly. Note that I think even if Fitz is back and we have a horrible season it will create just as much heat for the Jets brass.

But the Bills havent made the playoffs in 16 seasons. I think thats puts a little more heat on everyone in that organization. 9 wins and an improved defense, then maybe gets Rex and co. another season , but I dont think thats a guarantee.

But I look at them like I look like us , around a .500 team that can win 10 games if luck rolls their way. I just dont expect luck when it comes to the Bills. They've found every way to not make the playoffs in recent years when it looked like they were gonna sneak in.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

It's not that restrictive; it allows you to eat small meals. You start feeling full after just a few bites of food, so you can't over-eat as much. But over time the pouch stretches out and you can basically out-eat the lap band. Also people just switch to drinking milkshakes all day and still stay fat. All of those weight loss surgeries are completely misguided and ridiculous.

The best option is to switch to a whole foods plant based diet. It's the only way of eating that literally cleans the sludge out of your arteries (all omnivore humans have this. Even elite athletes with low body fat have clogging arteries, they're just less likely to die from it.) He'd be able to reach and maintain a healthy weight without surgeries or feeling hungry all the time, and he'd eat enjoyable foods every day.

17. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

So a defensive genius inherits a top-3 Defense. He decides to keep existing defense. At the end of the season that defense is ranked 14 (or 15?).

Can you explain to me what happened here?

18. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

the Ryans are all douchebags

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Actually Rex said in an interview the Jets are like an ex he can't get over.

Lmao

Kris 15 likes this.
  20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Rex wants to compare Mario Williams to Von Miller?

One of them is 6'6 290 pounds, the other is 6'3 250 pounds, how can he even think that in the NFL Mario will be able to cover anyone? He could maybe play a little zone coverage, but even then his range is very limited.

Wade Philips used Von and Ware perfectly, let them get to the QB, very few times did you see the Broncos play mad scientist with their defensive personnel.

Rex has always played mad scientist with his defense, if Rex coached the Steel Curtain defense, he would have mean joe green playing OLB.

If you have dominant players, the scheme is not that important, just let them do their job, It's that simple.

#20 Red Menace, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
    FJF likes this.