Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Of course I was talking about everydown, starting players. Geez.

And you leave out, again, that we don't know what hte Jets could have gotten Revis to sign for.

the other thing I left out should be obvious, which is why I left it out, but it seems after all it should be mentioned.

These arguments about precedent have limited value when talking about a relatively rare player like Revis. Some have said there have been only two or three other Cb's in the history of the game who have played at his level. Add in the increased importance of the passing attack in the opponent's offense, and the way Revis has demonstrated a great ability to play within the rules as currently apply, and there really is no direct analogy.

My other point made previously which has not been included in the current discussion, until now, is getting rid of Revis does not make the Jets a better team. We still face the bird in the hand being worth more than two in the bush, since the Jets are perfectly capable of fucking up the draft picks, and even if they don't, it is unlikely they will get a player of close to comparable value to replace him.

2. Big Blocker

Geez there are plenty of overpaid players at every defensive position. I think Mow makes an excellent point.

3. Big Blocker

I obviously agree with this post.

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

With the draft being as top-thin as it is, the only way I trade down is if a 1st round pick (and maybe more?) are coming back to the Jets next year.

Considering the fact that supposedly the Bucs were offering their 1st next year originally for Revis and the Jets held out for this years first makes me believe they have someone specific targeted at the top of this draft and won't trade back.

5. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

The best corner back in the league is coming off season ending knee injury. He is completely untested since being injured. There is no "guarantee" Revis will live up to the trade either, or ever make a full recovery. The best corner back in the league wants 16mil a year and is worth zero to the Jets at the end of the 2013 season. The next best corner back in the league makes around how much a year? 8mil?

The Jets made the right move. Move on.

6. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I will spit the hook out as I will not debate "my guess". But you my friend have a nice way of side stepping the fact that you have let you're emotions on this topic dictate the sometimes irrational and unlogic comments typed on you're device and posted on this site. I hope that this over emotional trend does not carry itself over into the draft, training camp, pre season, 2014, 2020...

Dont turn into uncle Rico "if only would have kept Revis". You may just find yourself selling Tupperware and bras and Revis will still be searching for his next big payday

7. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Why are so many people insisting on the Jets drafting players who can contribute this season? Are you trying to win something this year? Obviously, Id like to see guys contribute right away but its certainly not a must. It just makes no sense.

Unless youre saying you dont want " projects"?

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Is it possible to trade the 13th pick for a early 2nd rounder and a 1st round pick next year?

9. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

I "guarantee" if we all were saying it was a "terrible trade" BB would say it was a great trade. That's just his Modus Operandi on the Gang Green.

10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Ironically, if you consider QB and WR the top needs of this team, they also happen to be the ones that it makes the most sense to sit for a while.

11. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

I would let Revis play next year and let him walk if he wants to. If he is not fully recovered he won't be able to demand 16 mil after next season. If he has an outstanding season maybe we consider paying him what he wants.

Revis is not just a CB. He is critical to the Jets because he helps cover some of our other weaknesses. If 16 mil is the difference between making the playoffs and staying home isn't it worth it?

Ryan plays an aggressive scheme. You can't do that without good CB's. Our pass rush has been a problem we've been trying to solve for years and our secondary is thin. Also we're in a division with that douche Tom Brady.

Finally, Revis boosts the Jets pride and self-esteem. His presence in the locker room is a critical intangible for the Jets. Having the best player at his position on your team causes everyone to up to their game. Other defensive backs learning from Revis is invalueable.

My philosophy is: Build on what you have. But the Jests they never do that. They always tear the good down and destroy team chemistry. That's why we're always going in circus.

I never imagined a day when Revis would not be a Jet. Yay we have some more draft picks to screw up. This is so fucking depressing.

12. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I fixed it for you, as this was the only accurate sentence in you're entire post. Revis is gone, get over it. If he stayed in the ridiculous scenario you suggest the jets wold only be continuing down the same path that a that they have been going down the past 2 years.

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

They didn't get rid of him to make the team better..they got rid of him to save money and at least get something in return (a #1 pick). They weren't going to sign him to a 16 million/yr contract just like 30 of the other 31 teams weren't either. Anybody who wants to continue bashing this deal has to explain why only one team wanted him and even that team is only willing to pay him a year at a time. If he was really that much in demand the Jets would have gotten at least 3 #1s and he would have gotten a long term deal with a ton of guaranteed money.

#3733 Don, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  14. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Patting yourself on the ass running in for a TD and fumbling the ball on the 1 yard line doesn't give you a win. Neither is your contention that you will take Bobby's word for it.

We are making this argument in the context of the NY Jets. The Raiders were stacked and SB ready and took a "risk" on a guy who would plug a small hole in what was a SB run.

Haynes wasn't on a 6 and 10 Raider team and the cornerstone piece of their rebuild. He was one of a ton of great players on both sides of the ball on a team ready to make a move.

Context matters and you failed to make an argument in context. Haynes getting them over the top has little to do with that team being built around Haynes.

Would the 6 and 10 Raiders with no starting QB a crap O and a weak overall D trade a first round pick for Haynes? I don't think so.

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

With the new salary cap for rookies high draft picks aren't over rated at all. They are more valuable then ever. That doesn't mean you get a guaranteed player but we are talking about a team with holes all over the place that isn't in the mix for a SB without having at least 2 great drafts and/or a huge amount of cap room to sign a bunch of great players.

In the context of today's NY Jets picks and cap room are outright gold.

17. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

we might be looking to add Dee Milliner. there's a bunch of stuff on Twitter about it. also Kenny Vacarro said he had the best visit with the Jets. I'm so excited for this draft.

18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I am going to assume you have a job at a company in which you have zero responsibility for any type of growth or success for. Because if you did, you would realize how fucking stupid it is to say you would have let him walk and gotten nothing, because anyone with any job that has responsibility for growth or success of the company would never think that you would take nothing rather in exchange for something valuable. either that or you are a hypocrite that wouldn't practice what you preach, and it is easy for any idiot to say take nothing when they aren't responsible for building the Jets into a winner, which the 13th pick can go a long ways in doing.

hell, an even better equivalent is you can no longer afford your house payments, but instead of selling your house and making whatever you can on it, because you want more for you house you decide to just foreclose on the house and lose everything. real smart.

and this, quite frankly, some of the most worthless nonsense ever written on this board. you have no idea whether the Jets self-esteem and pride is linked to Revis being a Jet so spare us your fabricated fantasy of how the Jets are now insecure and prideless now that Revis is gone.
    by that logic, there is no guarantee that a player that was great previously will continue to be great. nobody is talking guarantees but you, and if your argument against draft picks is rooted in guarantees, than you have to apply that same philosophy to players and cannot get tied to players past performance because it is no guarantee. so, do you truly believe that guarantee nonsense?

#3738 JetBlue, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  19. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

to anyone attending week 1, will you boo or applaud Revis when he walks on the field?

20. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Thats what people lose in this discussion and its just not a point..but its a huge and total point Biggs..you are dead on right.

Revis had already taken a huge amount of money in that contract and it was setup in such a way that he had the guaranteed money early in the contract. You would figure that teams do that to satisfy a player and that in good faith its understood thats why its done.

Except when you are dealing with captain holdout.

A point most people do not want to accept is that the great players..many great players...get their big money and then say "ok...now whats left for the team to build around me". You know...to perhaps win a championship?

One thing that is guaranteed is that you will never hear that come from Revis's mouth....EVER. You can already tell that by signing the contract he did.

This is the guy that some want to build around..to be the leader..to win championships. His nickname of Revis Island is dead on for many reasons..even reasons not football related. He is..and will always be...all about Revis first....all by himself on his Island.

Again...its football and a guy should get whatever he can. For that position? He has done very well and will never ever help out a team so he could be surrounded by great players..ever.

Did anyone think it would ever come out of this mouth to come to the Jets and say hey...give me 10-12 and go sign our safeties to keep the defense good and make it great?

Yeah..right...while some might want the Jets to have the best player at his position in the NFL....I think many would sacrifice that for non selfish leaders that want their money..but want a championship too.

Revis will never ever be that guy.

#3740 jaywayne12, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013