Reflecting a Heart Breaking Four Years and Where We Go From Here....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Feb 20, 2015.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

January 2011 Rex Ryan, Mark Sanchez, Darrelle Revis and the Jets defeat the Patriots in New England to move on to the AFC Championship Game in Pittsburgh. It was their fourth playoff win in two seasons.
    [​IMG]
    The Jets would come out flat for that title game and by the time they got things on the right track: It was too late. Too late for that game, too late for this regime.

2011 the Jets played pretty well. (8-5) through 13 games, not pretty, but in a good position to make a third straight playoff run. They would lose all three games to the Eagles, Giants and Dolphins, thus missing the playoffs.

2012 entered Tim Tebow and Tony Sparano. The franchise and fans ready to give up on Mark Sanchez. Darrelle Revis injured and lost for the season. And forever. The team was a complete mess and the (6-10) record does not reflect how truly terrible the season and team (mostly offense) was.

2013 marked the end of the Mike Tannenbaum Era and the beginning of the brief John Idzik Era. The Jets shipped Darrelle Revis to the Buccaneers, drafted Geno Smith, and led the worst (8-8) season I have ever seen. Sanchez was lost in in the preseason to a shoulder injury, that should not have even happened. I have never enjoyed a Jets season less than I did in 2013............ until 2014.

2014 the Jets were even more of a mess. Geno Smith continued to be awful. The team had no cornerbacks, etc. I don't need to remind anyone about this season. The team went (4-12) and Owner Woody Johnson finally decided to blow it all up.

I forgot to mention we had to see Darrelle Revis win a Super Bowl as a PATRIOT:
    [​IMG]

And Rex Ryan now coach the Buffalo Bills:
    [​IMG]

Not fun at all to be a Jets fan lately. Now it is time to look at the future though. The Jets have hired a new Coach in Todd Bowles and all a Jets fan can do is look up. Can't get much worse than what we have been through right?

[​IMG]
    This week at the NFL Combine we move forward as a franchise and begin this new chapter. I am excited to say the least. I believe the future is bright too. Still, I felt the need to write this to get it off my mind because the last four years really did hurt. Feeling so close in 2011, a couple miserable years, and now starting all over in such a short time is a tough pill to swallow. We have though, and are ready to move FORWARD.

Here's to the 2015 season and beyond. Thanks for reading.

2. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

Great post. It really was an epic downfall for us after losing to the Steelers in the AFCCG. I remember being devastated after that game but filled myself with happiness that the Jets were finally a relatively top team and had a lot to look forward to. And then everything went downhill. That 2011 season was anticlimactic. And then once we hired Sporano I had a feeling it would all go to sh*t.

Seeing Revis win his Super Bowl with the Patriots was horrible. There are no words lol.

But I am cautiously optimistic that we finally have te right guys in Mac and Bowles to set this team up for success. We will see, but I do believe we have some good moments coming to us in the near future.

NYJalltheway and The Dark Knight like this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

What an emotional roller coaster. I still think about what could have been if we decided to actually take care of business after losing to the Steelers that offseason.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  4. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

....and we needed to be reminded of all of this?
    LOL

TNJet, Cman68 and The Dark Knight like this.
  5. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

The lament of the inexperienced or new Jets fan. As long as the owner doesn't prioritize winning championships, it can and will get worse. You were in the AFC Championship game two years in a row 3 years ago; you haven't come anywhere near rock bottom yet.

#5 Unhappyjetsfan, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    alleycat9 and chris5533 like this.
  6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Not funny :mad:

jk :)

Actually it's Excruciating. I'm watching the combine and every time they show Belichek I get sick and have to turn away o_O

I never did watch any of the post SB stuff...just couldn't:(

fuckin horrible

Luck and and Providence and Godspeed and The Force and any other Thing be with Mac & Bowles :D

7. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Sorry to remind U that the NYJs have not won anything that counted since 01/12/69 46 years ago so as you say to move "forward" is really truly bucking NYJ history:mad:

Jets1035 and The Dark Knight like this.
  8. mute

mute Well-Known Member

I thought this was about a woman.

milcus and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

it take a special kind of tolerance for pain to be a Jets fan

I like to think that one day all of this will pay off. I will say this though, the alcohol helps.

10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

the sad thing is that nothing the team does will make any real difference unless they somehow luck into a top tier QB - we just have to pray to the QB Gods to smile on the Jets for once and give us that 10+ year franchise QB that we have never had.

11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Its all been a bad dream since 2011 when we went 8-8,It all went down hill and hasn't stopped going down hill since.....you would think we would have hit a wall at some point but nope we continue going down hill.Could Bowles be the wall to stop the never ending slide into the shitpile?

12. jetsillinifan

jetsillinifan Well-Known Member

we're tough fans, and we probably can take much more shit than those bandwagonner boston fans who think the season is a failure if they didn't make the super bowl. when the football gods finally smile upon us, we'll be on top of the world

The Dark Knight and Jets_Grinch like this.
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Three years up (2008-2010), one of which got mangled due to Favre's shoulder injury (Jets were 9 and freaking 2 after 11 games and then Favre got hurt), one year teetering on the precipice in 2011 and then all downhill from there. That's what investing in free agents in a big way does to you.

The only reason it worked as well as it did, and it did work well for 3 years, was that the Jets had the deep 2006 draft and then got two cornerstones on defense in 2007. That and Rex getting on a roll that would have made a Las Vegas shark envious.

Brook! and The Dark Knight like this.
  14. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

it just makes me wonder how many more times I have to watch giants and patriots fans experience super bowl wins before we get just one

4jetfans and The Dark Knight like this.
  15. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

And the amazing thing about that was the 2011 draft 3 months later yielded Muhammed Wilkerson, Kenrick Ellis, Bilal Powell and Jeremy Kerley.
    Our 2nd round pick that year went to San Diego for the Antonio Cromartie trade previously. Not bad of a draft after the AFC Championship game loss.

Problem was ----------- the 3 drafts prior (2008 - 2010) were complete shit.

2010 - New York Jets
    1 29 Kyle Wilson CB Boise State
    2 61 Vladimir Ducasse T Massachusetts
    4 112 Joe McKnight RB USC
    5 139 John Conner RB Kentucky

2009 - New York Jets
    1 5 Mark Sanchez QB USC
    3 65 Shonn Greene RB Iowa
    6 193 Matt Slauson G Nebraska

2008 - New York Jets
    1 6 Vernon Gholston LB Ohio State
    1 30 Dustin Keller TE Purdue
    4 113 Dwight Lowery CB San Jose State
    5 162 Erik Ainge QB Tennessee
    6 171 Marcus Henry WR Kansas
    7 211 Nate Garner T Arkansas

16. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Ahhhh the past few years..... anybody got a needle and a spoon?

4jetfans likes this.
  17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

In many ways, it is.

18. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    _

mute likes this.
  19. mute

mute Well-Known Member

I laughed!

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

20. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Funny enough, Baltimore won a championship without a top tier QB. Giants won two without a top tier QB.