Quite surprisingly...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, Sep 18, 2017.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The defense is as bad as it is because of the cornerbacks and linebackers.The defensive line has regressed without Harrison and Richardson.We have no shutdown corners just a mismash of scrubs .And the linebackers are a joke

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

defensive line is regressing cause of Bowles

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There's no place for best player available anymore. If you have two good defensive lineman in a 3-4 alignment do you take another one?

Oh wait. I guess if your the Jets you do. Scratch that statement.

boozer32 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Perhaps "failed" was the wrong word to use. I didn't mean it in any final or total sense, just that it has had a very negative impact on his drafts.

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Leonhard Williams is a bad year away from being called a bust.....What has he done?What impact has he made?He was called the best player in the draft by alot of people.....So far that looks about as far from the truth as possible..

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

He wasn't paid yet.

7. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Exactly. Wilkerson and Williams are still star talents. Ealy is solid. McLendon is solid, Pennel is ok. This is not crap talent on the D line at all. I'm not asking for t he #1 rush defense in football but they should be better than they've shown

Everybody has regressed under Bowles. Heck Revis flat out got fat and quit football

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I haven't been to the stadium yet this year and likely won't go. I wouldn't be surprised if the damn janitorial team has regressed this year and we're looking at a dirtier MetLife under Bowles.

Speaking of which, man was I jealous looking at those concession prices in Atlanta. Francessa mentioned today that Blank will only let his vendors charge a dollar over cost. Also, a soda is $2 and comes with free refills.

A bottle of water at MetLife is $5 last time I checked.

I feel like the concession prices for the Jets should coincide with how the teams playing. $3.50 hot dogs for their over/under 3.5 wins.

ajax, 101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  9. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I want to see more of Elijah McGuire.

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Mac and Blowes need another outstanding 4-3 DE they can slot into their 3-4 hybrid defense.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. Beki

Beki Active Member

I think offense is functioning quite well. I like what I have seen from the O# and Morton, that is the max what we can do with McCown and our WR corp.
    However, I still don't know why Skrine is on the roster yet. C'mon, his cap hit is 8.5M. :/

12. NCJetsfan

There are two reasons why Skrine is still on the roster. First, and most importantly, they don't have another slot CB on the roster. Second, while they would gain $3.5 million in cap relief, they'd also incur $5 million in dead money charges. If they had someone else who could play the position, then they might be willing to eat that $5 million, but without that, I'm afraid that we're stuck with him until the end of the season.

Maybe it will help to look at it this way...Skrine goes a long way in insuring that we have a top 2 draft pick in 2018.

13. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I don't think that's actually correct about Mac. I think his BPA is clearly someone based on what he believes he needs in the system the jets run. That's why he took Lee - he and Bowles thought Lee's speed would be a good fit in Bowles defensive system. Unfortunately, he's looking more and more like Demario Davis 2 than what was envisioned.

14. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I think there's a whole lot of grading on a curve here. The Jets are 30th in total offense (28th in passing offense), 22nd in scoring offense, and 28th in first downs per game. Yes, they're not the worst offense in the league in every category as we thought they'd be, but "functional" seems a bit of a stretch, and congratulating McCown for his 24th-ranked passer rating "good" play seems pretty unwarranted.

legler82 likes this.
  15. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

The biggest question seems to be whether to start McCown or try to develop a younger QB. There are 2 problems with drafting: other teams may tank harder and some players may choose to delay coming into the league to avoid not only Jets but other tank teams too. So what then? Imo, McCown should be more of a mentor, not a starter. I mean sure, maybe with him we would win a couple of more games but I think that's quite irrelevant. I just don't believe that the draft will result in getting a franchise QB, maybe Sanchez 2.0 at best.

The second problem is that even if you get a quality QB, he has only 1 receiver to play with, that's it.

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit after all.

Compare that with this pitiful defense.

Jets are #1 in points given up, #3 in yards given up per game, #4 in yards given up per play, #5 in 1st down given up, #2 in 3rd down conversion ratio, etc etc.

In every major statistical category, Jets D is in top 5, if not in top 3. [From behind.]

And the reason Jets O lacks playmakers? Thanks to this star-studded defense led by none other than Todd Bowles.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

You could be right, but Lee didn't seem to be a good fit as an ILB in a 3-4 hybrid D. Yes, he has sideline-to-sideline speed and great athleticism, but is too light to take on OL, as ILBs in 3-4 Ds have to. Even more importantly, at OSU, he was a freelancer and often used to rush the passer. I don't think he had a lot of coverage responsibilities, which is what the Jets were counting on his doing. They have only used him as a pass rusher a couple of times. I think if Bowles and Mac thought Lee would be a good fit in the middle of Bowles' D, then they were both sadly mistaken.

IMO it's one thing to take a LB with speed and athleticism in the 3rd or 4th round, and hope that you can teach him how to cover RBs and TEs. It's quite another to take him fairly high in the 1st round if he's rarely, if ever, done before what you want him to do in the NFL.

That, in a nutshell, is what makes the 3-4 alignment so fakakta imo. The teams that employ it are always having to project how LBs will adapt to the ILB responsibilities in the NFL, how 4-3 DEs will adapt to standing up & covering receivers, and how DL will adapt transition to different roles in the NFL. More colleges are using 3-4 D alignments now, but still the majority run 4-3s. For the all-important pass-rushing OLB position, most of the time teams have to take an undersized 4-3 DE and hope his skills can translate to the 3-4 OLB position. How many stud OLB pass rushers are ever in the draft? This most recent draft was considered very deep at the position, but there wasn't a single stud prospect at the position. Vonn Miller was the last, and I don't remember, but he may have even played 4-3 DE in college.

Lee could still possibly prove to be a great pick if the Jets switch to a 4-3 alignment and either play Lee at the weakside LB position, or maybe even use him as a DE in passing situations.

18. There has never really been an outcry of support for Bowles from the players.Skrine acouple times & some spare quotes that almost seemed forced.

When you listen to Bowles talk strategy..meaning when he actually talks like a human being..some of the philosophical pieces really leave you scratching your head & wondering if the guy really knows what he's doing. Do the players experience this amplified by 200 percent??

I think it's hard to deny at this stage that the DL has gone from an undeniable strength to an apathetic underachieving enigma. Same could be said for the whole defense under Bowles & Rodgers.Its actually kinda shocking to me that the media hasn't honed in on all of these circumstances

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Lee is a good fit for 3-4 ILB. You can trust me on this one.

Just, his role is not interchangeable. He needs a Ted in front. Just like Harris had Scott getting rid of the blockers in earlier Rex Ryan days. And like Derek Smith cleared the way for Patrick Willis in SF.

Is he fast? Yes. Can he cover from side to side? Yes. That was his intended role. Can he go after the QB up the middle? You betcha.

So what's the problem? He is not protected. Jets NT is not really commanding much respect, and then there is no Ted to clear the way either. As you can see, 3-4 provides double-guard protection for the playmaking ILB; Jets thus far have failed to provide any form of protection for the kid.

Look. Demario Davis is not a Ted LB. I don't know who recommended Demario Davis signing, but whoever came up with that idea is a fucking moron. [If Mac is behind this hire, he's proven he's a part of the problem, not the solution. By now, coupled with Snacks departure, I am leaning toward the problem side, mind you.] Demario Davis does not serve any purpose in this roster to begin with. Is he heavy enough to handle OL? Is he quick enough to plug the gap and direct the flow of the run? Or can he flow from side to side fast? The answer here is an emphatic NO for all.

So - Lee is stuck in a rut. The team does not protect the kid, and instead expose him in the worst way. Do you honestly think Patrick Willis or Navorro Bowman could successfully carry out his task as the ILB in this environment? Anyone who thinks either could is delusional.

#39 Zach, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

We Jets fans are used to setting a very low bar for "success".

KurtTheJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.