Quinn as HC, Shanahan as OC accd to this report

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rinvesto, Jan 8, 2015.

1. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

Dan Quinn looking at Kyle Shanahan as offensive coordinator, according to Jason Cole
    By David Fucillo@NinersNation on Jan 7 2015, 7:11p 51

[​IMG]
    Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images

49ers head coach candidate Dan Quinn is a heavy favorite to land the Jets job. If he does, Kyle Shanahan might be his choice for OC.

 TWEET (11) SHARE (3)  SHARE
    The talk in recent days has been about Mike Shanahan and Kyle Shanahan as a potential package deal for head coach and offensive coordinator. It remains to be seen what direction the San Francisco 49ers will go for their head coach, but there is a chance they could still end up with Kyle Shanahan as offensive coordinator even if it is not with Mike Shanahan. Bleacher Report's Jason Cole is reporting Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn would like to hire Kyle as a potential offensive coordinator.

When a coach is interviewing for a head coaching job, it is logical to assume he is asked plenty of questions about what his potential coaching staff might look like. It is not surprise then that a name or two might leak out, like we are seeing here. Cole suggested that the New York Jets are a strong chance for a potential Quinn/Shanahan connection. Quinn is a heavy betting favorite for the Jets job, currently sitting at -200. The next closest is Todd Bowles at +275. This certainly does not mean he is a lock, but the Jets seem more and more likely.

Among 49ers candidates, Rex Ryan has become a heavy favorite to get the Atlanta Falcons job, listed by bookmaker.eu at -150 for that job. The Falcons restructured their front office on Wednesday, which would seemingly be followed fairly soon by a new head coach. There have been questions about whether or not a new head coach could mean the end of Thomas Dimitroff as general manager, but this new structure would seem to mean he will stick around for at least another year.

2. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Sign me up on this duo.

Truth4U2 and almbleamal like this.
  3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I'd sign up for Quinn/Shanahan any day of the week

4. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I'd be on board for that if the reports true

Truth4U2 and freemantoon like this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

100% in on this duo. Do we make a trade or RG3 if this goes down though? That's the only potential downside. But I think I'd deal with it because Quinn and Shanahan balance each other out very nicely.

6. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

If we traded for RG3, the reaction on this board would be epic. That might be what finally kills TGG

7. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Wonder how much input, or interest for that matter, Quinn would have with the offense.

8. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

This is a coaching staff I can certainly get behind!

9. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

This would be a dream come true

10. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Let's wait until Metha speaks.

zace, MikeSLTJ23, RuJFan and 3 others like this.
  11. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

How did we do the last time we had the son of a famous HC as our offensive coordinator?

TNJet, Rictor33 and 74 like this.
  12. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

If we could get his duo with a GM who has more of a background in assessing talent than money-managing that would be more than fine with me, maybe ideal.

13. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Better than the alternative legacy kid, Nate Hackett.

alleycat9 and Endlessly Counting like this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think it's weird that this duo has a lot of backers and Marrone is being met with strong criticism.

Almost like people are less afraid of the unknown than the known?

I don't personally know how I feel about either option but I don't think there's strong evidence to suggest one is going to be WAY better than the other...

Diabolical_Jet_Fan and 74 like this.
  15. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

cause it's the unknown, if hired give it a. Couple years and that will change quickly

16. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

That's for sure!!!

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

A source in Dan Quinn's proctologist's office says that Quinn has been known to have hemorrhoidal flareups now and then. A source close to his paper boy says the cat looks bedraggled when it slinks out the door first thing in the morning. Several NFL front office people think he'd be overmatched in the NY media market. Etc, etc, etc.

18. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Works for me. Kyle is already out of his Browns contract so that's that.

19. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The fact is we don't know how any of the prospective candidates will perform as HC or GM. The vast majority of these guys are either coordinators or assistants in the front office of other organizations. There are no sure fire bets out there to get excited about. In short time, the Jets will announce their hires, the media will do their dance, the fan base will get excited for no apparent reason other than it's not what has been. In the end, it will be luck whether the right choices have been made. The best we can hope for is that the law of averages catches up and this franchise has some good luck for a change.

20. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I'm okay with this. I don't really want Kyle Shanahan, but if that's what it takes to get Quinn, then I'm all on board. For DC I think I would like Steve Spagnuolo.

ETA -

On second thought, I don't know enough about Kyle to make that statement. I need to do more research. I'm reading a little bit about him right now and I may have had an incorrect impression of him.