Questions the Jets need to answer

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rambo13, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Before we can move forward at all with any projections, the Jets need to answer three questions for us:

1: What are we going to do with Chad Pennington?
    If Pennington returns, we probably don't need to take a QB at #4 because of the hope that he can play at all. If Pennington returns, I think it would be better to sign a veteran QB (Josh McCown) and/or draft a QB later (Brodie Croyle, Charlie Whitehurst) and give Pennington a shot to stay healthy, but still have a contingency plan. Thus, we can go in another direction with the #4 pick (DE, NT, LB, OT, RB, TE, etc.)

2: What are we going to do with John Abraham?
    If John returns, we are set with a solid pass rusher. If we trade him away we have a huge void at that spot and might force us to take an early look at a rusher (Mario Williams, Manny Lawson). Also, what we get in return is a huge difference to what we do. If we can get a late first it would give us an extra shot at getting a great lineman or pass rusher. If we get a later pick or a pick next year, it could force our hand with some other picks. In my opinion, it is fruitless to debate what we can or will get for him until it actually transpires. Once it does, we can move on from there.

3: Are we going to run a 3-4 or a 4-3?
    I raised this question the other day, but, depending on what we run could decide a lot of our picks. It could be the difference between Haloti Ngata, Mario Williams, or AJ Hawk. If we run a 3-4 we need an OLB who can rush the passer (Manny Lawson) and we desperately need a NT who can occupy space and blockers (Haloti Ngata). If we run a 4-3, we are pretty set at LB but depending on the Abe trade, could use a pass rushing DE (Mario Williams). In my opinion, if we change to a 3-4, we are going to have to invest a much larger percentag of the rebuilding process on acquiring the right players then we would if we go 4-3. This is because we have players who have been picked to play strictly 4-3 and might not make the transition. The 3-4 also places a higher premium on certain positions that we are not particularly strong at (NT, OLB). Whereas the 4-3 needs a good MLB, DE and DT.

Before any of these questions are answered, I don't know how any of us, let alone the Front Office can move forward with any plans or projections.

#1 Rambo13, Mar 1, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Yeah, that yellow font is impossible to read.

3. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

1. keep chad
    2. use Abe to get #1 pick and draft Bush
    3. acquire the right players to a 3-4 through FA

4. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

it looks green to me.....i think we are gonna make the switch to 3-4 and show JAbe the door.....let the rebuilding process begin....our Defense is going to be the strength of this team....we are the......CHICAGO BEARS.....ahhhh son of a bitch!!!

5. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

i like that idea...where do we get the bank to do this though?

6. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

Let Chad go..take the total cap hit in one year. We are not winning the SB in 2006 anyway and that's what its all about.
    Trade a low round pick for Ramsey..certainly worth a shot at that price.
    DON'T trade up. Mangini's pedigree says that he will not.
    Trade Abraham for a #1 and use that and the #4 to pick quality. We all love Reggie Bush but we are way more than one player away.