QB of the future is in the 2018 draft; Baker Mayfield or Luke Falk

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsFan, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He can't compare to Luck at this point because he was a redshirt first time starter last year. Luck had 2 full years as the starter going into his Junior year.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

if he was truly transcendental you wouldn't be asking that question

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. He made some great trades and moves in FA in 2015. Some of the vets he brought in didn't play well this past season, but he designed the contracts so that he could get out from under them without hurting the team or its cap long term. He has upgraded the team's speed and depth. Most of his draft picks contributed this past season as well as several of his UDFAs. If Hack doesn't pan out, his record looks a worse, but I definitely think he has earned another couple of years and the chance to hire his own HC.

4. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

330 million people and 370 Div 1 schools in this country, and we can produce only 1 "transcendent" QB type every 5 years or so?

Something's not quite right here ...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

These two are the EPITOME of system qbs. Mayfield especially. He's like a colt McCoy clone.

6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I don't think we can lump them together as a pair. There has to be some stability otherwise we are right back in the same situation we were in before Macc & Bowles. Macc should be able to hire his own coach. He's done his job far better than Bowles. Its on Bowles and his staff to coach these players up and he hasn't. You have blown coverges all year long. This is from a defensive coach, totally unaccepatable

ajax, ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Br4d

Let's see what happens with the draft this year but if it is par for the course for the last two seasons we need to run Mac out of town on a rail. The Jets draft the last two seasons has just blown chunks except for Leo Williams. We still have some more time to evaluate both drafts but man they look like crap from the perspective of just finished 2016 and we got one starter out of the deal and both of our top picks from 2016 have major question marks surrounding them.

HomeoftheJets and boozer32 like this.
  8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

He has drafted better than Tannenbaum, Parcells, Bradway, Hickey and Kensil. Not only drafted better than them but found some gems as UDFA. We had 4th and 5th round prospects contributing. We had UDFA starting and playing significant minutes and that hasn't happened ever.

#28 boozer32, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    BomberJet likes this.
  9. FJF

Has he drafted better than tanny?
    Revis, mangold, brick, harris, leon washington, b.smith
    Tanny/mangini had 2 very good drafts
    As far as udfa's snacks says high and so does brandon moore.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm willing to give Macc a little more leeway than Bowles because he didn't get to pick his CS, but that said, he needs to do better this FA/Draft season or I'm all for canning him.

But there's more to a GM's job than just signing personnel, he has to have a PLAN, and I'm not sure I understand what his plan is. It would really help if he could explain it. Right now it seems like he tossing darts blindfolded.

11. NCJetsfan

Good point and that's true. The thing is, Woody may not allow him to implement the plan he wants to use. Woody may be dictating what he can do, particularly since Bowles is an equal and not subservient to Mac.

12. ColoradoContrails

That's also true, but if so, Macc should force Woody's hand and tell him to let Macc do what he thinks is right, or he should quit. If he stays under that situation, he's only going to damage his own reputation.

13. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

I've watched a lot of Luke Falk games (adopted WSU fan), and seriously his delivery and pocket presence reminds me of Brady. Great accuracy and arm strength. One issue I have with him is he doesn't take any snaps under center, as WSU operates 99.9 percent out of shotgun. But people had said the same thing about Mariota and he turned out fine.

LarryAlRalph likes this.
  14. Br4d

The thing to remember about Brady is that Brady didn't look like Brady at Michigan.

You really can't use him as a comparison for anybody as a QB coming out of college to the NFL. Some guys wind up looking exactly like they looked in college, with Drew Brees and Andrew Luck both filling the bill there. Some guys grow along a completely different vector in the pros with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning managing that trick from completely different start points.

I think the old rule of 3 years as a starter, graduated before the draft, won some bowl games and improved year over year from Junior to Senior is still the one most likely to predict success at the NFL level. That's still not going to find you Tom Brady though. You're going to have to get 4 leaf clover lucky to find the next Tom Brady.

boozer32 likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

Did you read my analogy about finding QBs like finding four leaf clovers?

And I agree that the odds favor drafting a QB who has had that kind of experience, and especially compared to drafting a 1 year starter like Trubisky (or Sanchez). But it's not a cinch either. And sometimes you have to "look outside the box" to find what you're seeking. When do you do that, and how do you know what to look for? If I knew that, I'd make lots of money as a GM! But obviously SOME GMs/Coaches know what to look for - BB did, and you can extend that list to include those who drafted Elway, Favre, Rodgers, Big Ben and other HOF'ers. Why the Jets can't seem to do this is an all time mystery. The guys who could were Werblin and Ewbank. I don't think Macc/Bowles have a clue, and that really frustrate me.

Br4d likes this.
  16. Br4d

Werblin and Ewbank took the #1 rated QB in the country on the #1 pick. Werblin particularly wanted Namath because he thought the Jets needed a big splashy star headlining the tabloids in NY as the Jets tried to break into the market against what was a strong successful brand in the Giants of the times.

If the Jets had the #1 pick in any of a dozen drafts since then the QB drought would have been broken. Instead the years we had the #1 pick (1996 and 1997) had no QB's worthy of the pick in the draft.

The insistence of the ownership that the Jets always try to look competitive even when they obviously are not going to be competitive is part of the problem. You can't get the #1 pick, or a pick likely to be tradable for the #1 pick if you're floating between 4 and 8 wins in every year when you should be just accepting the need to rebuild instead.

17. NCJetsfan

I do think the 3-year starter aspect with continued, steady growth is important, as is winning bowl games.

How would players graduate before the draft, when it's in April and graduation usually isn't until May?

How do you see Peyton Manning's vector as being completely different?

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Sad to say Tanny / Mangini were the last decent drafters for the Jets. You could argue that was more-so Mangini cause when he left, Tanny and the Jets drafted awfully. In the end Tanny wasn't bad, but the Sanchez extension gamble bit him in the ass.

FJF likes this.
  19. Br4d

If the player is going to graduate in the spring of the draft it qualifies

Peyton Manning's vector was different because he essentially went from being a QB to being a QB/Offensive Coordinator on the field.

Everybody knew he had a chance to be special coming out of Tennessee but nobody realized he was going to be the guy calling the plays and setting up the packages on the field. Nobody had really done that role as a QB since the 60's.

Both Brady and Peyton ran fairly simple offenses that were tailored for them to be just dominant in their role as QB.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. FJF

tanny wasn't bad but when you trade up in 3 straight drafts, even if you hit you leave yourself thin. 2007 up for revis,2008 back into the 1st for keller and 2009 up for sanchez. tanny played fast and loose and never left himself any outs. to his credit, he came very close, 2 bad halfs in 2 afccgs,but even had we gone to the super bowl we were going to end up in the same place by 2012. the cap bills were going to come due and there was never going to be enough depth to survive it. of course we wouldn't care right now had we got the vlt.

LarryAlRalph likes this.