QB of the future is in the 2018 draft; Baker Mayfield or Luke Falk

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsFan, Feb 11, 2017.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

The truth is the Jets need at almost every position except DL/WR. It all starts at QB and we need a better OL to protect our next QB. Add in they will be learning a new offense and that spells disaster.

Our secondary was the third worst in the NFL, but top 3 in pay. People played out of position and others just didn’t make plays. The Jets depth at most positions sucks and we over paid for too many players who under played. Wilkerson played less than 100%, sure, but he is not worth the money when we need so much help. Revis is past his prime but we are paying like a top 3 CB.

Our coaching staff is becoming a joke and they will be gone this time next year. Hopefully the GM will be leaving with them. Veteran players and proven coaches are avoiding the Jets like a plague.

So the point of the post is we will have a top ten pick next year in the draft and two guys I feel are the best college QBs this year are going to be in next year’s draft. I don't want the Jets wasting a pick on a QB in this draft. I want us the draft a top OT, RB, TE and possible C in the draft this year. Forget the defense, we have spent 9 straight 1st round picks on the defense and they were still a joke. Get a guy like Hoyer or Glennon this year if we can and have Petty as the #2.

When a new GM comes in they like to draft a QB to sell tickets and give the franchise a new face. These two guys would be top five QBs this year and should be top 3 QBs next year. Mitch Trubisky is the best QB in this year’s draft and he is a one year wonder with huge questions. I like guys that have a longer college career and show consistent growth. The most important stat for a college QB is completion percentage, and these two guys are very consistent. That is the only stat that directly translates to the NFL.

Baker Mayfield
    2016 - 254 Cmp, 358 Att, 3965 Yds, 71.0 Cmp, 40 Td, 8 Int,
    2015 - 269 Cmp, 395 Att, 3700 Yds, 68.1 Cmp, 36 Td, 7 Int,
    2013 - 218 Cmp, 340 Att, 2315 Yds, 64.1 Cmp, 12 Td, 9 Int,

Luke Falk
    2016 - 443 Cmp, 633 Att, 4468 Yds, 70.0% Cmp, 38 Td, 11 Int,
    2015 - 447 Cmp, 644 Att, 4561 Yds, 69.4% Cmp, 38 Td, 8 Int,
    2014 - 156 Cmp, 243 Att, 1859 Yds, 64.2% Cmp, 13 Td, 7 Int,

Build the team of the future by starting to put together a foundation for the future. Then get our QB next year. unless a miracle happens and a QB on the team steps up in a HUGE way. There is no chance we win the SB this year and that is all that matters, so punt the season.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The problem is that there is no "top" OT in this draft. There are a handful of decent prospects (Robinson, Ramczyk, Bolles and Garcia), but each has his problems and limitations. I doubt if any of them other than Ramczyk would be a quality starter this season, and he has huge question marks coming off of hip surgery and having only started one year at a major college program.

IMO our CS isn't becoming a joke, it has been a joke. Greene has a track record of success. Morton is a huge question mark, but has worked under some great offensive minds, so could be a find. I don't have a lot of hope for our new QB Coach (whose name escapes me at the moment). The new secondary coach would be hard pressed to be any worse than his predecessor. Still, unless Woody has privately assured Bowles that he'll get at least 2 more seasons, I expect the CS to be gone following the 2017 season. I'm not as happy with Mac as I was, but imo he has done enough good to earn the chance to hire his own HC and have the proper org chart where the HC reports to him, not Woody.

I would rate pass rusher, #1 CB, TE and RB equally important in this draft. C is less important since Johnson did a good job filling in for Mangold last season and Mangold may be back. I doubt if they'll be able to add even four of those five positions via the draft unless Mac drafts solely on need this season, which I doubt he would do and would hope that he wouldn't do. It's typical Jets luck that in a season where they're drafting #6 and have a huge need at QB, LT and pass-rushing OLB, that there is only one player worthy of being taken in the top 10 and he'll probably go #1 to the Browns (Garrett).

I don't think Trubisky is the best QB in this class. He's also too unproven. As you said, only starting for one season leaves a lot of question marks. I also disagree with your comment that completion percentage is the only important, translatable stat to the NFL. College DBs are known to be bad and many play off receivers. Then you have schools like Texas Tech where normally the QBs throw a lot of short, easy to complete passes and use it like a rushing attack. Both can skew completion percentages. I think the TD-Interception ratio is very important as well as the yards per attempt.

3. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Falk has put up some impressive numbers at a decent school in a decent conference, especially considering he was a walk-on and then a Fr redshirt at Wazoo. But at the end of the day, someone who knows what the hell is going on has to see him play. Someone who knows how to assess the talent both around him and opposite him, and see what he's doing with and against each. But it doesn't appear we have a guy who can do that, nor have we for many years now. For while I quite liked Chad Pennington, I think he was really just a good guess down in Floral Park. Anyway, until there's someone who can assess talent and understands the long term needs of the NYJ, we're going to duel with Buffalo to bottom feed the AFC East for some time to come.

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

2018 Draft has a lot of goodies but there is better talent imo

I would like tank 2017 and go after Darnold or Rosen first

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I can't get on board with the OP's line of thinking. Even for experts, predicting how college QBs will do in the NFL is almost impossible on Draft Day, let alone a year in advance.

6. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

Heres how I see this:

Its scary to look at next years class and bank on those guys. Before the 2015 draft (where Winston and Mariota went 1&2) there was a thread on this board saying not to take one of those guys because the 2016 class was the "year of the qb", stating cook and hack as first round guys. Obviously that didnt happen.

Having said that, I dont want the Jets to draft a QB this year. I think bowles, and possibly mac will be gone this time next year. Id rather let the new regime pick their guy at QB.

boozer32, LarryAlRalph and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, let me re-post this from another thread here that I commented in:

"Third, there is almost NEVER a "consensus" pick of ANY QB. Even as we speak, the previously "anointed" QB Class of '18 is already being re-evaluated back to reality, and several of those "cant miss" QBs are now being looked on as "not ready for prime time". If the Jets wait for someone to tell them "You can't miss with this guy!" they're even more hopeless than I think they are."

Secondly, and maybe more importantly, there is NO guarantee that the Jets will "win' a Top 2 or 3 pick in 2018, thus likely dropping them out of the running for this "mythical" can't miss QB. In fact, if they do what many suggest and sign a Glennon, or someone like that, they'll probably go 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 with the easier schedule they'll have because of this year's record, they may not even get a top 10 pick, then what?

Their best bet is to draft Watson or Mahomes THIS YEAR, and if they don't work out, draft a QB in 2018, and 2019, and so on until they hit. I realize that they probably won't do this, but they should because there are no guarantees in the future "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

if you draft watson or mahones in the first this year you are out of the qb race in 2018. you don't give a 1st rd qb 1 year before you move on. you do dedicate the rest of that draft and the next one to building the offense around him.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, what you say makes the most sense, but if you discovered that the guy you drafted this year was really not going to work out, you should cut your losses and move on, the sooner the better. That's not what most teams do, but how often do guys who couldn't win the starting job actually win it later on? Not many. The odds favor drafting and cutting ruthlessly until you hit.

10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Bowles will be gone but Macc I think stays around. He is doing his job and getting talent on this team both in the draft and UDFA. Now he whiffed on Lee and Hackenberg but every GM has. But he has found some low round goodies in Shell, Burris, Simon. So I would give him more time. Bowles on the other hand can't coach.

#10 boozer32, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Jetphan73 and cgrec like this.
  11. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Sorry this is not the way it works. You can't have it both ways - to expect a GM to commit to rebuilding a team - sacrifice wining now to compete later, then firing the guy in 2018? Not going to happen!!!! Mac has to be given the reins to do what it takes but with a vote of confidence that his job is safe. Otherwise he'll try to place band aids all over the place to win in 2017 and make his job secure. This will only delay the needed revamp this team seriously needs.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Mac didn't develop those players. He drafted them, but Bowles and the coaching staff developed them. Can't give Mac all of the credit. Bowles and Mac will stick around as long as the players develop. Both deserve the credit.

FJF likes this.
  13. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

I think Sam Darnold is the #1 QB after next season.

14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Remember when Christian Hackenberg was a slam dunk lock to be a first round franchise QB?

"Franchise QB is in next year's draft. But next year he'll be in the next year's draft. And the year after that he'll..."

HomeoftheJets, MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That is not how it works. Macc had to know the talent levels of these guys. Scouting is a year round job and Bowles really didn't develop anything. Burris, Shell, Petty only played when there were injuries. Anderson was good in preseason but didn't get any playing time till Decker got injured. Bowles miss used Peake all season.

LarryAlRalph likes this.
  16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I can't wait to be 70 and rooting for the Alaskan Platypi when the Jets finally find a winner.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You still have to develop those players. Have you watched aby games this year? Watch the play of Shell in the preseason game in comparison to the last 3 games. You saying he didn't develop? Same with Simon, and Burris.

The coaching staff helped develop the young wide receivers we have now. Peake had plenty of competition at the position. Hard to get reps but even he developed and showed progress. This is a 2 way thing here and you are completely missing that.

All Gas No Shake and BomberJet like this.
  18. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Can't really do that because there is a lot of money invested in first round picks. Second round picks okay, you can ditch them without much financial impact. Short of a Manziel type meltdown, you're pretty much committed to whomever you draft in round one, at lease for a few years. For example, despite Goff's disappointing first year, I don't think the Rams will give up on him and draft another prospect this year.

FJF likes this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So far Mac's performance has been extremely shaky. The vets worked out last year but collapsed this year. Neither of the drafts looks good except for the no-brainer on the 6 last year.

I'd say both guys are very likely to get shown the door after 2017 with the only question being whether the Jets have a really high QB pick in the 2018 draft or are sitting in the early teens because the current regime tried to cover its ass by signing more vet free agents. In that scenario the next regime will enter on very shaky ground also.

101GangGreen101 and boozer32 like this.
  20. JETS_Mogul

JETS_Mogul Member

How does he compare to Luck the year before he came out? If he's truly transcendental, I'd tank the season for him.