PS3 Data Update Question

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by AJayJay, Sep 19, 2011.

1. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

I just got NHL 12 and I went to play the game but it prompted me to do a data update so I continued with the data update and now it's just sitting on a black screen with no loading screen or anything. It's just completely blank, I don't wanna turn it off in case I have to restart it and lose all progress. It's been going for about 10 mins now.

Question is did anyone ever have this before? How long does it usually take and is there usually a loading screen or is it typically blank like mine?

I tried to google it but I'm not bringing anything up so I figured I'd see if any of you guys went thru this before?

2. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Did you enter the code that comes with the game to access online? Maybe the game was acting up cuz yu didn't enter the code to go online and update.

3. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

I believe he is reffering to a game data update . This will come up before the game even loads.

Depending on how large the file is it can take a while. Also if your hooked up threw wifi it will even take longer. If it doesnt finish in an hour just ejact the game and the ps3 should restart on its on.

4. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

This may sound dumb but check if your ps3 is powered on. The ps3 automatically shuts off after a system update is installed

I just did this ten minutes ago myself

5. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try tonight. Surprised this could take an hour but I'll let it ride and see what happens.

The system is definetely on bc the first time I thought it just froze so I tried turning it off and it wouldn't let me hit the power button. I had to unplug the system outta the wall to get it to restart.

It let's me play offline but if I wanna go online it prompts me to the update. Like I said I'll let it sit for an hoir tonight and see what happens. Thanks

6. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

when i got uncharted 2 it prompted me for an update, then hung. i just restarted the ps3 when i realized something was wrong (like 10-15 min). restarted, everything was golden. just a glitch in the handoff from update to game i think.

obviously a different game but i think the concept of the bug is the same. i don't think you have anything to worry about.