Pros and Cons of pre week 17 dismissal

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Nov 4, 2018.

1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

If we lose on Sunday then I could kind of see it happening, but ultimately even if we do I think they hold on to Bowles until Black Monday and fire him then. For all his faults Bowles is liked by the players and I think the franchise as a whole respects him so they wont fire him during a season.

Also they probably don't want to kick up any turmoil during Darnolds first year. Just let it play out however it will and fire him. We'll be no better than 6-10 anyway. We don't really have anybody on this staff that can be viewed as a rising up and coming coach that we'd be curious to see get a chance anyway. Rodgers is gone with Bowles. Bates may be gone too.

2. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

If we lose Sunday I think they have to fire Bowles Monday to avoid a social media nightmare and bad publicity.

Peebag and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Do you guys really want to see us beating Buffalo?? I don't..it would only "extend the torture" for Toilet to pick up the business as usual over the next 2 opponents Tenn and NE..

A stupid meaningless win just like the KC victory last year which screwed up our draft position and caused to give up picks getting SD

7.5 point favorites at home? Too funny ..can we score a TD??? It will be a battle of FGs ..book it

Let's all say "bye bye" at the Bye

phubbadaman and Cman68 like this.
  4. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

On Good Morning Football, Andre Roberts seemed pretty hopeful that the team could make the playoffs by running the table. He seemed like a smart dude, putting on a good face for the team. I don’t think for one second that he buys that it could happen.

About the Bills, I’m torn. I’d love for the Jets to improve their draft position, but I want Darnold to improve and I’d prefer that the team not disintegrate into a complete public circus.

ColoradoContrails and westiedog1 like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. I despise Bowles and have been saying that for at least 2 years, and want him gone as soon as possible, but at this point, we need to think about Sam, not Bowles. Granted, keeping Bowles won't be helping Sam, but firing Bowles and bringing in or promoting one of the coaches from within more than likely would cause more upheaval and confusion. While it's possible that just a simple philosophical change of being more aggressive on offense might help Sam, things usually don't work that way in Jetland. If something can go wrong, it does. With our luck, it would cause a total team fracture, with offense vs defense and even within those units. At this point I think we have to just ride out the season, and PRAY that Chris and Woody have enough sense that at a minimum, both Mac and Bowles need to go. Hopefully, if they have any ability to honestly evaluate themselves, they'll realize that they're in over their heads, have done an awful job, and decide to sell the team or hire someone who knows what he's doing to run the team, and then step back and allow him to do just that. If none of those things happen, my day as a Jets fan are over.

6. NCJetsfan

Darnold can improve and the Jets still lose. It doesn't have to be one or the other. I want them to lose out. IMO that's the only way that I think that Bowles and maybe Mac will get fired. If we finish 5-11 or better, I don't think the Johnsons would have the intelligence or motivation to fire either Bowles or Mac. Sadly, I think the only way they will fire those two is if the Jets lose out, the media starts trashing the Jets and the fans revolt by staying home, booing, hiring planes and billboards.

7. NCJetsfan

I agree.

I don't want any more defensive-minded HCs, so I would have a lot of trepidation about hiring him, but because he is a proven winner, can make in-game adjustments, knows how to manage the clock, and isn't ultra conservative, I'd probably bite the bullet and hire him. He'd be the 3rd or 4th best HC in our history. That would give us a lot of confidence going forward, whereas with yet another novice HC who was a young OC, we would be very hopeful, but probably not that confident and would have to struggle through his growing/learning pains. I am as sick of novice HCs as I am defensive-minded HCs. First and foremost, I want an experienced HC, at this point. To gain any kind of stability and consistency, I think that is what we need. Sam is a better QB prospect than Flacco was, and with more experience and knowledge of where the NFL is these days, would hope that John would hire an OC that would open the offense up and be more aggressive.

The only thing is, would either Harbaugh want any part of the Jets? While I can think of a number of reasons why they might, I can think of just as many, if not more, why they wouldn't. We may have no choice but to go with yet another novice HC.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There is a lot of logic to the argument for keeping Bowles until the end of the season, as you've laid out, but there is one big argument for firing him ASAP: we would know for certain that he's gone. Waiting until the EOS gives him the chance to "redeem" himself with some meaningless wins that will never prove that he is in fact capable of being a SB-caliber HC.

But aside from that not-so-rational reason, there are other reasons rooted in common sense. As you said, the main concern is Darnold's development, and the longer he has to play with the decisions made by Bowles, the more chance of regression there is. Also, whoever they would put in as an interim HC, do you really think they would make worse in-game decisions than Bowles, especially now that Bowles is clearly second-guessing himself? And it would enable them to begin an active search for the best candidate NOW, instead of waiting until Black Monday to compete with all the other teams looking for a HC.

All that aside, I would be very surprised if the Johnson Boys actually fire Bowles before the EOS.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I think the problem with this argument is that with Bowles/Bates being so extremely conservative in play calling, Darnold isn't likely to regress or be at above average risk of getting hurt. How many bad habits can you really pick up by handing the ball off twice, then trying to wrangle a bad snap on 3rd-and-9 every drive? Playing out a first season in which he has no time in the pocket and no open receivers might be a good thing, if it helps him appreciate good linemen, talented weapons, and aggressive play calling next year.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I honestly don't see a single con.
    We have the worst head coach in the sport, and the sooner we get rid of him the better. I would have fired him on Monday morning. That would have given the interim an easy game against Buffalo, and then the BYE week to really get settled in. Now we'll be stuck with this buffoon for another 4 games at a minimum.

Wait ... there is ONE con to firing Bowles before the end of the season -- a competent coach might win an extra game or two and ruin our top 5 pick.

11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

You can not interview anyone until after their current team has played their last game of the season.

12. TonyFtLaud

Deleted
    I see what I was posting has been said

#52 TonyFtLaud, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  13. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I don't see the point of firing him before the season is finished but after back-to-back 5-11 seasons and what's looking like another lost season in 2018 whatever.

If they fire Bowles fire MacCagnan too! I'm tired of the Johnsons half @ssiing these things.

CLEAN HOUSE!! IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO!!!

Don't fire Bowles then let MacCagnan spend a fortune in free agency in 2019 sticking this team in cap he11 for the next regime to deal with.

*sigh*

This ownership is making me depressed.:(

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

College is wrapping up very soon. I believe between last game and bowl games, teams will let coaches interview.

15. TonyFtLaud

Not until December 8 but college coaches routinely change before the season ends to go to other schools . They can't coach or be involved, usually are on the sideline for their current team bowl games in January.
    The risk / reward to firing Bowles and Bates in hopes a Top College coach will leave to come to the Jets is not worth it. For what? To sell more tickets? To make a nice media story?
    The hot prospect College coaches will not interview now, most will not interview at all . You need to see the big picture. College coach who interviews now, pisses of his school, gets fired, if not hired, his leverage is gone. In fact, isn't that exactly what happened to the HC from BC the year we hired Rex? He was the hot Offensive genius at the time, Had BC ranked #2 in the country. Never heard his name again. There's alot more to hiring a HC then picking a name.
    Gotta interview several candidates, see how they would fit, who they would hire as coordinator, what their personalities are like. Then there is the Rooney rule. Any good candidate is also going to want to weigh his options/offers. I don't believe that the potential HC hires are salivating at the chance to come work for J&J and making a move that exposes the building block of the franchise would make it an even less attractive destination.
    Throw a rookie QB out there with no QB coach, a bad OC who can't manage the O line/ Run game. In the interest of developing that QB? It's counter productive.
    How many interviews have the Browns held since firing Jackson?

Leicester Jet likes this.
  16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Pros — the process of evaluating the players under new direction gets expedited.

Cons — none.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

To answer the question I bolded: a LOT. This past Miami game was an example of this. Sam was simply trying to do too much after laboring under a shitty OC, play calling, and surrounding talent - in short, he was forcing things.

Aside from that, there is the injury factor. When the opposing teams see him lining up 3rd and long continually, they can pin their ears back and come hard.

There is really no benefit to retaining these morons another day.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Sounds like John Harbaugh is going to be avail

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Hopefully the poor performance we're about to see in Buffalo will expedite Bowles' firing. With a bye week coming up, there's no better time to do it.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

After today

I think he needs to go TOMORROW

Go into the bye with Kevin Greene