Preseason QB Play Time?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Aug 3, 2018.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

If they're really concerned about getting one of the QB's injured in preseason, then they should have signed 1 or 2 more QB's if for no other reason than to have them soak up playing time in preseason. Frankly this QB lineup has me a bit worried. You have a 39 YO who has never played a full season uninjured, a former starter coming off a serious injury and a highly touted rookie, and that's it, no other options! That's why I don't think it's a good idea to consider trading Teddy. He had to know what he was signing up for, so as much as I like Teddy (he has the greatest smile), I'm not concerned if he ends up backing up Darnold who I think will be QB game 1.

2. DefenseWinsChampionships

You've gotta trade Bridgewater. If not you lose him for absolutely nothing come free agency. And the only way to trade Bridgewater and gain draft picks and asset's for his services, is if he light's up the preseason. Which is why he must be protected by 1st string starters.

Both of Darnold & Teddy must be protected by our 1st string offensive lineman. Let McCown run with the backups. Or go and sign a #4 but Darnold and Bridgewater are to be protected at all times.

3. westiedog1

Then why did they bring him here? The Jets had to know they would be drafting a top rated QB. You can't go into a season with Darnold backed up only by McCown.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Not to mention if the Jets goal is to get a draft pick for Teddy, instead of building it's team for success this season, then they have a screw loose.
    You talk about Bridgewater as if he was a former #1 overall pick of the Jets. They signed him for $500k. $5 million if he stays all year. If he has a solid Pre-Season, backs up Darnold, and then signs elsewhere in 2019, that is fine. I hope his knee holds up. Anything better than that is gravy. I do agree he needs to be protected. That is why this thread was a great idea, because it actually is an interesting situation.

NY Jets68, FJF and westiedog1 like this.
  5. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

So basically what you're saying is that if Bridgewater shows enough to be a very adequate starter, which they do not have at this point, trade him away going into the season with a rookie and a 39 year old QB? Jets have to be on drugs for this one to come about.

NYJetsO12, Ralebird and westiedog1 like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If they had signed another QB or two, it would have taken reps away from Teddy, Darnold and McCown. With a new OC and I imagine some new wrinkles in the offense, whoever winds up starting needs to be prepared and to have developed timing and chemistry with the receivers. Don't forget that McCown hasn't thrown to Enunwa before, and it's been a year or so since he threw to Pryor. Neither Teddy nor Darnold have thrown to any of our WRs before this offseason. They might have kept Petty to play behind the 3rd string OL, but that wouldn't have been fair to him. What Mac should have done was to make the OL a higher priority in both FA and the draft.
    ally have 3 QBs capable of starting.

I agree with you that trading Teddy will leave the Jets very thin/vulnerable at QB. As much as I would like to get a 2nd or 3rd out of Teddy, the wisest thing we might need to do is to hold onto him. He could be great insurance in case McCown goes down early with an injury or if Darnold doesn't develop.

BomberJet and westiedog1 like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I respectfully disagree with the bolded. Unless a team is already a playoff team, imo their primary focus should be on building for the future, not the present year. Yes, more than likely they need 3 QBs for this season, but it would also be great to recoup a 2nd round pick or add another 3rd in next year's draft. That could help them build for the future and more long term. The only way it wouldn't is if Darnold doesn't develop and Teddy winds up playing better than ever. So, imo that is a very strong and compelling reason to hold onto Teddy, but again it is about the future rather than the upcoming season imo. It will be very interesting to see what they do.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

100% agree.

It will be heavy Teddy and Darnold.

I don’t think they can worry about Teddy, he’s on a football roster so he has to play football. I think Teddy gets mop up duty with the 3rds.

McCown will get the start, play 1 series then Sam will take over through halftime.

BacktoQueens and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. westiedog1

I could live with them trading Teddy provided they acquire a competent backup and not a guy whose going to compete for the starting job. Right now you have the makings of a QB controversy since there is no clear starter. How about bringing Mark Sanchez back? I don't think fans would mind seeing him again in a clear backup role. But you're right. The Jets have to think future, and like it or not, Darnold (and not Teddy) is the future for better or worse.

10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Best guess is that it will be like last preseason, McCown will probably get 1-2 drives per game and then Sam and Teddy will get the rest.

11. The Dark Knight

You can't disagree if you get what I am saying. Which was the Jets focus should be on Darnold becoming a franchise QB. If the focus is "Let's showcase Teddy Bridgewater, who we signed for nothing, to be trade bait and get us a 3rd round pick" then they have a screw loose. I know for a fact that is not the plan, as it would be crazy. Can't coach like that. Now if Darnold is playing well, McCown stays healthy, and a team offers a trade for Bridgewater, that is fine. Can't focus or run your pre-season with that in mind though.

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

I disagree. Last year and this year is nothing similar when comparing the two QB rooms to one another.

Last year the coaching staff had to of known McCown was to be opening day starter. Which is why both Petty & Hack took all the reps while McCown stayed on the sidelines and barely played.

This year it's a lot different with Darnold & Teddy here.

Darnold is a potential starter come opening night and the face of our franchise moving forward, so he must be protected with starting offensive lineman.

You can't surround Bridgewater by trash either. Not if you want him to show out and flash in order to pull off a trade deadline heist you don't. He's gotta be protected as well.

McCown on the other hand, unlike last preseason; he will play a lot behind our backup offensive line. He's got to. Why? Because he has no real trade value. No long term future here as a Jet QB and he's known as a career journeyman of a backup QB. In other words, he's been here before.

If anyone's to be used as a sacrificial lamb behind suspect backups it's gotta be the aging veteran in McCown while you look to protect Sam's future and improve Teddy's value for future assets.

13. The Dark Knight

Money says otherwise: Darnold $30 million guaranteed, McCown $10 million guaranteed, Bridgewater $500,000 guaranteed, $6 million total if he stays. So I would expect Bridgewater with the 3's unless he plays remarkable.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Ah, OK sorry if I misunderstood your intent. We agree.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

IMO it isn't just about the contracts/$s, or at least it shouldn't be. It should be about who offers the most longer term value for the team, and that certainly isn't McCown.

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Teddy could be the NFL comeback story of the year..you don't reward a guy who does something like that by trading him.?!

Everyone thinks Josh M can be the backup but clearly if he is a step away from coaching in the NFL like he has said I doubt his heart is into it this year

I say keep these 3 QBs indefinitely ..best group Mac has put together in the last 10 years imo

17. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I personally agree about keeping them but a big factor (IMHO) is Bridgewater's thoughts, goals, and attitude about being here long term. I think he could be a fantastic #2 QB for years and years to come if he's physically up to it and mentally into it. If he's got wanderlust, doesn't really want to be a long term Jet and try the waters somewhere else at first opportunity then maybe it won't work but the way these things work out he'd likely have significant runs of playing time over the coming years and likely an opportunity or two to pull our chestnuts out of the fire when something happens to Darnold.

I mean look at the Eagles this past year even with Foles. Having a solid #2 guy is a pretty good idea if you can get the right guy and for some reason I could see Teddy fitting that role like a glove. I hope he stays.

Dierking likes this.
  18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Totally on board with this. Assuming Teddy shows he can play.

19. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Wanderlust?

Long term?

Backup?

He was a superstar at Louisville, a first round draft pick and a former Pro Bowler.

Oh, and he’s not a Jet fan.

He going to want to be a starter somewhere anywhere and he’s going to want starter money.

We, as Jet fans, may project our wishes and desires on those who we perceive to backups.

No 25 year old former first round pick former Pro Bowler NFL QB perceives himself to be a long term backup.

On the Jets.

It’s not Wanderlust.

It’s reality.

20. DefenseWinsChampionships

That's a moot point because neither one of McCown or Bridgewater are long term options for NY.

Not after Sam Darnold they aren't.

Teddy agreed to come to N.Y before the trade up and then the drafting of Sam. Not after.

And still has dreams of returning as an NFL starter. In short he's gone as an up coming Free Agent regardless.

Yes, McCown does make more money (this year) but it still doesn't change the fact that Bridgewater does have a lot more (potential) trade value in comparison than that of a 40 year old career backup of an NFL journeymen in McCown.

Does he not?

Well then why not protect Bridgewater more?

You know. The player who can net you a 3rd or possibly a 2nd rounder from a contending team desperate of a QB to save it's season.

Because McCown has pretty much zero trade value.

And 2018 $$$ means nothing to Macc when talking McCown/Bridgewater. Because we're set to have the most cap space of any NFL Franchise come next offseason so that's just a moot point.

Teddy is not a long term option. Neither is Josh.

But one has the potential to bring you further asset's in return. One doesn't.

So it's really a no brainier on which one to protect more with your offensive lineman throughout the preseason.

#60 DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018