Preseason Game 4 be the Eagles game thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PulseJet, Aug 31, 2017.

1. dman928

dman928 Well-Known Member

No, that was Murphy who fumbled.

McGuire looks like a player...

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Hackenberg looked more comfortable tonight, but still had a bad stretch of drives that went 3 and Out. I would move him to 3rd string starting this week. Let McCown start, then Petty back him up. Eventually Hackenberg should get his chance to start this year, but I would wait until the team is out of playoff contention. Year 3 will be the BIG year for Hack. If he has to compete with a 1st Round QB, so be it.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  3. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Lol you made me spit out my drink with this. Wait until the team is out out of playoff contention to start Hack? Next year is going to be his BIG year?!?! Great stuff, seriously!

4. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Welcome to the world of tomorrow... today!

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Maguire looked great. could be why they are shopping forte. let powell and maguire split

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Hack wasn't already 3rd string after the last couple of weeks of practice and preseason games, then the Jets are REALLY in trouble.

As far as waiting, unless the OL quickly gets better, Hack may get his chance by week 5 or 6, because both McCown and Petty could be hurt by then.

If the OL comes together and starts giving solid, consistent protection for the QB, then Petty should immediately be named the starter. If he plays at a high level all season, I would stick with him, and let McCown be the backup. If Petty doesn't play well or gets injured, then McCown should play until Hack shows he can quickly go through his progressions, not lock onto receivers, avoid sacks, and get the ball out on time.

If at some point in the season Hack shows that he has fixed those issues (in running the scout team) then the Jets should move him up to backup and eventually give him some starts. Whereas the Jets need to get a better read on him, they also need to determine which of their young offensive players are going to be able to help them going forward, and to develop those players. If Hack is starting the way he's been playing, most likely, that won't happen, and it's quite likely that he'll wind up getting one or more of his receivers hurt.

If Petty is just so-so, struggles, or Heaven forbid, gets injured, then by all means, even though they need to see more of Hack, unless Hack has fixed his issues or taken big strides in that direction, I think McCown should play rather than Hack, so the other young players have a chance to learn and develop. This is a change for me. I haven't given up on Hack, but he's still only 22, and I think he needs to focus more on working on the basics in practice. As long as Petty plays and is playing well, it's more important to develop all their other young players (ASJ, Anderson, Leggett, Stewart, Hansen, McGuire, Marshall? or which ever young additional WRs make the roster), than one QB whose fundamentals are going to hold him back and who may never develop anyway.

PulseJet likes this.
  7. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

According to Forte, the Jets are not shopping him.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

If i was forte i'd say the same thing lol. either way he stays a jet at this point