Preseason Game #2 Detroit Lions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 18, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Mahomes is more athletic, accurate and has better ball placement. I also agree that his football IQ is higher. You don't have to sell me on Mahomes. I was one of the few who really loved him and thought he was a great prospect.

Mahomes had the advantage of having a father who played professional sports, and he has said as much in interviews. That helped him a great deal in terms of preparation, fundamentals, maturity, etc. He was groomed to succeed. Petty is more of a late bloomer and didn't have the same advantages as Mahomes.

Dude, how many years eligibility do you think Petty had? You have him at 6, if not 7 years. At least get your facts straight. He was only a backup for 2 years, not 3. He sat out his freshman year (redshirted). His second year, he was a redshirt freshman and played in 5 games as a backup. His 3rd year he was a sophomore and again was a backup playing in 6 games. His 4th & 5th years, he was the starter. None of us knows how Art Briles handled things and whether Petty even got to compete his 3rd year for the starting job. Some college coaches just go with older players who have been in the system and have more experience. Florence had backed up RGIII then started for a year while RGIII was hurt, then returned to being a backup RGIII's last season. Florence played in 9 games, started 7 in his freshman year after RGIII got hurt. He played in 7 games his sophomore season. He was going to redshirt his Jr. season, but wound up having to play the 2nd half of the 11th tame after RGIII was hurt, and appeared in 2 games that season. Do you really think Petty would have had any chance to unseat him as the starter with all the experience Florence had? Florence could also play. He set a bunch of school records (tied or broke 7) his senior season. He led the Big 12 and was 2nd in the nation in total offense, and was ranked 3rd nationally in passing. No raw QB is going to have a chance to replace a QB who had already proven that he could play well, and who sacrificed a year of eligibility for the team's sake.

2. NCJetsfan

I just saw the video of Corey Lemonier's interception Sat. night. at the ganggreennation.com
    https://www.ganggreennation.com/201...ons-preseason-week-2-another-promising-outing

I can't make out definitively who the player is, but it appears to be Claude Pelon who could have made a block on the Lions QB following the interception, but instead of turning immediately to look to block, he was running watching Lemonier, stumbled and lost the opportunity to block for him. If he had, Lemonier would have had a pick 6.

NY Jets68 and boozer32 like this.
  3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Sums it up exactly. I don't care who the Jets coach and GM are next year but if they continue to draft defense in the top 3 rounds they need to be throat punched. I don't want to hear BPA, best value available or this was a need pick. The drafting of defense has gotten us nowhere in a decade...nowhere!

#563 boozer32, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    KurtTheJetsFan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yeah, yeah.

5. NCJetsfan

Definitely a great throw and play. That was never what concerned me about him. What concerns me is how long will he be able to make throws like that before he has to have Tommy John surgery, and then what will his arm be like?

6. NCJetsfan

I don't know why you keep saying the bolded sentence. It makes ZERO sense. If they had played Hack last year before he had time to make progress with his fundamentals, they would have seen nothing positive. They knew he was a project when they drafted him. They knew he wasn't ready last year, and he wasn't. The only thing that would have been accomplished by playing him last year was to destroy whatever bits of self confidence and potential Hack had to develop, and he for sure would have been a bust. It wouldn't have helped either the Jets or Hack to play him last year.

If last year was wasted it's because Bowles, Gailey and whoever the QB Coach was (I've blocked it out) decided not to work on his fundamentals until after the season was over. I'm not sure that I would have wanted those clueless jokers working with Hack anyway. They would have screwed him up in some form or fashion.

You don't know that another year is lost. The team has played two preseason games. McCown could go down for the year with an injury in the first game or two the way our OL is.

#566 NCJetsfan, Aug 21, 2017
  7. NCJetsfan

In general, you have a point, but after having told Petty that he would get the entire 2nd half, it wouldn't have been wise or right imo to send Hack back out there.

You know yourself that due to the screwed up org chart that Mac can't fire Bowles. Why even say something stupid like that?

#567 NCJetsfan, Aug 21, 2017
    westiedog1 likes this.
  8. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Aaron Rodgers' elbow has held up on these throws for a decade

HomeoftheJets, legler82 and FJF like this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The proof is in the pudding my friend. The Jets throughout all of their young QBs have failed to take the player's strengths and implement into the system. Mark Sanchez for example, very good at throwing on the run. We restricted him as a pocket passer and made him a conservative player. Geno Smith, you saw the systems we tried to implement, none were Geno's strengths outside of Gailey.

They would've done the same to Mahomes, he would've gotten scout team reps due to his mechanics. Jets need an established offensive guru that integrates the pieces. Gailey was able to accomplish this, if only the Jets had a better decision maker under center.

Reid knows what he's doing absolutely, he knows he needs to let Mahomes be who he always was, but at the same time coach him up and show him his deficiencies.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  10. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Well we got our asses thoroughly handed to us and Hack had absolutely no help. If the Jets thought they were going to accurately assess a 22 year old QB who had to literally remake his mechanics, with a shitty o line and inexperienced WR's then they are dumber than I thought. The reality is the Jets are going to probably win 2-4 games this year, and the offense won't be able to score more than 15 points a game at most. Given how bad the o line is, and how bad the WR's are (they can't hold on to a pass to save their life) we may be in for some really really hard to watch football.

I'm unsure what to expect this season but the performance from the o line was atrocious. Petty played pretty solid but it was against 2-3 stringers. I'm not gonna get too worked up over that. We saw what happened when the starters were out. Bad o line play, receivers can't catch, just terrible all around. Defense played well but I anticipate them being on the field a ton this season and they will be gassed by the third quarter every game so even if they are good, they won't be able to hold the opposition for that long.

11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

and Favre's elbow lasted 2 decades and nearly 300 starts, the latter a record I think.

Big Cat likes this.
  12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I think the problem here is that a rebuild should really start with the Oline and QB, not end with them... It takes at least a couple of years of starting experience for a young QB to hit his stride, and without a strong Oline it takes longer, or may never happen. Even if the Jets find and develop a QB out of Hack or Petty, most of these top pick defenders will be past their prime, retired, or too expensive to keep around by the time the QB is good enough to make the team competitive.

13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Ive been saying for years that oline needs to be a priority but they just havent addressed it. Our secondary was in shambles too so i cant hate the decision. Next draft needs to focus on offense. The line needs to be a priority.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tbruner12, SOJAZ and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

One thing, I can say positively about the Jets after two preseason games is I've been impressed by how disciplined the team is throughout the roster. Obviously, this is a team with an offense devoid of talent, but at least they are not making a ton of stupid mistakes (inopportune penalties, dumb penalties, fights, interceptions, fumbles, etc.) that one usually sees in preseason games and that extends down to the third teamers. I'm aware this will not translate to wins, but if they can keep their poise throughout the season, I believe that will pay huge dividends in the future.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't think Mac had a shot to get a good LT in the draft or FA throughout his tenure, but that's no excuse for not upgrading the center and RT.

FJF and zace like this.
  16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I agree, there were upgrades at guard and tackle available tho. They just look dreadful.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I sincerely apologize to you, Bryce and his family for misrepresenting his college backup record from 2 to 3 years. That doesn't change the fact that he is not in the same league as PM.

18. NCJetsfan

True, but just because Rodgers' arm has held up, doesn't mean that Mahomes' will. I freely admit that maybe I am too cautious and too worried about 1st-round picks (especially high 1st-round picks) busting and setting the franchise even further back. Maybe I've been a Jets fan too long. I know that being beat up and disappointed by all the draft snafus, poor hirings, horrible coaching decisions etc., can cause one to go into a shell and become too conservative. I guess that's happened with me. It's probably where Mac is too. We may need a riverboat gambler who has balls the size of beach balls, and will take risks as if we had a great history, to get us over the hump and to greatness.

I did love Mahomes and would have been very excited if Mac had drafted him. In fact, if Adams hadn't been there and safety hadn't been such a glaring need for the Jets, I probably would have been screaming for Mahomes anyway. Maybe I let my understanding of how the scouts and Mac probably saw Mahomes, the fact that Mac had already drafted Petty and Hack, and fears that he wouldn't be able to adjust to pro-style offenses talk me out of Mahomes. I will not be surprised one bit if he becomes the top QB in the NFL for the next 10 years or so. I'm happy that he's doing well, and in retrospect, wish that we had drafted him, but I don't think he would do as well here unless we fixed our OL and got a new HC.

Big Cat likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I have high hopes for ASJ this season. he is full of talent if he can keep his head on straight

zace likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Maybe we can petition the NFL to let Petty and our 2nd stringers play the 2nd stringers of the teams on our schedule. ;):D

grkmanga31 likes this.