Predict first 6 picks of the draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BudJet, Feb 26, 2018.

1. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

My apologies .

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I think 5 of the top 6 to come off the board will be:

Mayfield
    Rosen
    Darnold
    Barkley
    Nelson

I've spent no time at all paying attention to the defensive guys so I'll refrain there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. StrongSide

StrongSide New Member

These quarterbacks are going to fly off the board, and the Colts aren't taking one. The Browns aren't taking two of them.

This is going to turn into a bidding war.

4. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

That would be terrible for us.

5. xxedge72x

As long as one defensive player goes before us we'll get one of those guys (assuming those 5 are all actually worth the 6th pick - debatable obviously).

Imo, if a worst case scenario happens where all 5 of those guys did go ahead of us, and we didn't sign Cousins, and we didn't trade up: at that point I'm looking to trade down in the draft and acquire as much value as possible. To me at least, those 5 are the ones worth hanging around for if your the Jets. After that I think quantity becomes the quality we seek.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm torn. I partially agree with you, and the idea of trading down and being able to add more talent sounds good. That said, I also think that taking one of Jackson or Allen would be better than trading down. I think the Jets HAVE to come out of this draft with a QB if they don't sign Cousins (which I hope they don't). They may be able to still get one of them (Jackson or Allen) trading down, but there are no guarantees, and if Mac doesn't get any better return on his trade downs than he did last year, I'd rather he stay put and take one of them.

7. xxedge72x

I think you can get Jackson mid to late first round, and honestly, I think Allen is so overrated because of his measurables. If I'm the one making the pick for the Jets, I'd rather continue working on Hackenberg than waste a pick on Allen. I get that we need a QB so badly but it doesn't excuse picking a guy who will flat out suck. This year, I believe that to be Allen.

Ozymandias and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Allen scares me, but what if a lot of accuracy issues are related to his pressing due to having such a lousy OL and receiving corps? In 2016 when his OL & receiving core were better, he played and looked much better. If the Jets or whatever team that takes him can fix their OL or if they already have a good OL and have a good receiving corps and rushing attack, he could be fine. He may need to sit a little as well and learn to not always throw the ball so hard, i.e., to develop more touch. In his favor are his already having played in an NFL-type offense, his mechanics are pretty sound as far as his throwing motion, he's big, mobile, and has a strong arm. I think that Allen is a MUCH better prospect than Hack. I think the Jets are wasting their time with Hack. The only good reasons for holding onto him are that he's cheap and still young, and if Cosell is right about it taking 4 years for QBs to truly develop, then there's still a chance (albeit exceedingly small in Hack's case) that he could still develop.

9. xxedge72x

I don't have the video ready but when I was watching Allen, I saw a guy who was a poor decision maker, pressure or not. I'll see if I can dig it up later. Where Darnold occasionally goes Mark Sanchez, Allen just makes throws that are in the wtf why department.

10. NCJetsfan

I agree. I've seen a number of those throws in the video I've watched of him.

I'm not certain, and certainly could be wrong, but think that a QBs decision-making is something that can be worked on and improved. That could possibly also be linked to his being constantly under the gun and feeling like he was having to carry the whole team on his shoulders. He could definitely have been trying to do too much and pressing at Wyoming this past season, whereas with an NFL team that has more talent, he might be able to relax more, not press, and his decision making would automatically be better. He probably also didn't get very good coaching until this past season. He may just be dumb, and it never improve, but he has enough talent, that I think he's worth taking a shot on if Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold and Jackson are gone, and maybe even if just Mayfield and Rosen are gone.

xxedge72x likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

When I watch Allen I don't see his problems as due to poor protection or receivers - he just makes bad decisions, and bad throws. Sure he has a cannon, and when he's "on" he looks like a HOF'er, but that's not that often.

Here's the thing: I believe that "touch" is a natural ability. Yes, you can develop it to some degree, but there are people who just have it, like great hand-eye coordination, and others who have work at it to just be decent. Rosen and Mayfield fall into the former category, Allen falls into the latter. Now Allen has worked really hard to improve, and by virtue of throwing thousands of passes he's able to simulate touch, but it usually requires him to warm up and find the range, and even then, he can lose it. I believe that's due to his lack of natural "touch". I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Barkley
    Nelson
    Chubb
    Allen
    Darnold

Jets take Mayfield.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Josh Allen sucks. Didn't even throw for 2,000 yards. Inconsistent passer. Had a good combine but who cares? Throwing at the combine proves nothing, there's no pressure on the QB or DB's covering the receivers. Anyone can make throws at the combine.

If we pick him it'll set us back years.