Possible scenario

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Mario, Aug 29, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, they do not. How pathetic that you have to resort to name calling. A player's prime refers to an extended period of time when their reflexes, coordination, speed, vision, strength are at their best. For most athletes, I've usually seen that referred to as roughly 23-30, give or take a year or two. For most athletes there's a curve. Most aren't playing at their peak performance while they're learning the ropes in the NFL and improving for a year or two. Then they begin entering their peak performance period. Some players have a career year or two and then their play tails off. With others, they may play at a very high, peak level for 5-7 years, but then the wear and tear on their bodies can start taking a toll, their recovery time takes longer, they're more injury prone, their reflexes aren't quite as sharp and their play starts tailing off. With some players, this seemingly happens overnight, while with others it takes longer.

Some players are exceptional be it through luck, heredity/genes, discipline and hard work, or whatever, but they are able to last longer as an athlete and sustain a higher level of play for longer.

Was Manning in his prime when he won his SB with Denver? No. Is Brady the same player today he was 7 years ago? No. He's still exceptionally smart, but I'm sure that he has had to make changes and adjustments to his workouts, practice schedule, and is relying more on smarts now than he was. Hence he's no longer in his physical prime, but can still play at a peak level.

2. NCJetsfan

If you want to construe the two to mean the same, have at it. What do I care. I think most people would disagree with you.

No you don't need to go on. I'm done with this conversation.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

For every other position that is true. But the qb position is more cerebral than fast twitch muscle dependent. the 2 plot lines for physical peak and mental peak end up intersecting around 30 years old. Give or take a year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Just give it up with the holier than thou persona, you continually call people stupid, moronic, etc., don't cry when people call you out for what you are.

As far as you making up your own definitions, feel free, just don't expect those with even a rudimentary knowledge of the English language to just play along with you. A player in his prime is at the top of his game, it is not when he is getting better and heading towards that prime. Funny that you should say it is an "period of time when their reflexes, coordination, speed, vision, strength are at their best", that just happens to be the same definition as peak. You even interchange the 2 words with the same explanation. When someone is in their prime, they are at the top of their game.

I also never said Manning was in his prime but you claimed that 30 was too late for a player to be in his prime? If a player can, according to you, be in his prime for 7 years. Then Cousins, who didn't even play a full season until he was 27, should be good until he is 34 or 35 and then after that he can "make changes and adjustments to his workouts, practice schedule, and rely more on smarts than he was.

5. NCJetsfan

This I can agree with, precisely because the position is so cerebral. As we've seen, even older QBs like Manning whose physical primes have passed them by can still win because of their knowledge, experience, craftiness, and ability to lead.

6. NCJetsfan

I call their opinions, posts, threads stupid, not them. That's the difference, and if you can't understand that, then I'm done talking with you, period.

I'm not making anything up. You're the one making shit up.

You can't even quote me accurately. Their physical prime is from 23-30. It's not 7 years from whenever they get into the NFL. The fact that you don't know or understand shows how effing ignorant you are on this issue. If they don't get into the NFL until they're 24 or 25, then they've lost a year or two of their prime physical ability.

As FJF said, QB is a cerebral position, they can reach their mental peak of knowledge and understanding of the game, its finer points and command of their offense towards the end of their prime and it can last after their physical prime has passed. That's how someone like Manning, who was way past his physical prime, can still win. That's how Brady keeps winning although he isn't the same physically as he was 10 years ago. He knows the game and his offense like the back of his hand, and because of that he can make the players around him better and still win.

7. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Anyone against this:

Sign Jimmy Garoppolo.
    Trade back a few spots from #1 and draft Saquon Barkely. Possibly pick up another 2nd rounder in the deal.
    Use the three second round picks on offensive lineman and rebuild the offensive line.

They'll have tons of cap space and could also sign a WR in free agency.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Please let some other team make the mistake of giving boatloads of cash to a back up QB.

FJF, ajax and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

I am. I don't think Garoppolo is all that. He was a pretty good prospect, but the Pats system and Bellichik make it work. Garoppolo wouldn't look nearly as good here.

Barkley would be a nice add, but we have bigger needs.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. I want nothing to do w garropolo..if he's as good as the Patriots claim they wouldn't be trying to trade the guy w a 40 year old QB in front of him..

Matt Cassell & Ryan Mallet are the only proof we need.If he's so damn good let's see the Patriots actually keep him

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Why sign Garoppolo when you can go after Cousins?

Great thought process.

FJF likes this.
  12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jimmy who?

Whoever he is, fuck him.

13. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

I hate this fan base sometimes...

14. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

If we have the #1 pick, we're taking a QB there, and that's our franchise guy, barring truly insane shenanigans.

If we don't have the #1 pick, there are a lot more "what ifs", including questions like "is there a clear QB2" and "are we drafting at least at #2." If both yes, we're still taking a QB. If one or the other no, can we trade up to get (one of) the top 2 QBs without making whoever we get there doomed to pain above and beyond that of a 'typical rookie / high draft pick'.

Only after that do I think we're looking more at the FA market, and honestly? It's not looking great. There are basically 3: Jimmy G, Cousins, and (probably) Alex Smith. But there are a lot of other teams that can put those guys in better situations who are already near playoff-level teams. Jacksonville with a good QB would have a legitimate shot at their division. The AFC West is brutal, but taking over in Denver gives you one of the nastiest defenses in football. If Brees retires, the opportunity to get to work with Sean Payton in NO is real, especially for Garrapollo, who's a bit younger than the other two. Cousins to SF has been projected by half of sports media before this season even started and makes a ton of sense.

So, yeah, OP. No.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I mean for the record most players enter the NFL at age 22-23. Some rare cases put them at 21. But just because you didn't say it's 7 years from when they enter the league, doesn't mean you didn't basically say that by using the age 23-30 benchmark.

You can't really compare a quarterbacks prime/peak to the rest of the NFL. It's so different because they don't need to have their legs under them like every other position and they can usually recover from non shoulder/back/neck injuries and be fine given their position. Peyton Manning probably ran a 6.0 40 yard dash in his last season and he was fine running an NFL offense (outside of his diminishing arm strength which is why I said non shoulder/back/neck injuries).

16. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member