Possible scenario

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Mario, Aug 29, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Redskins have crap for defense and not a really good running game. He's kept that team afloat. I think he'll be solid again this year even tho he lost his weapons outside of the te.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No to Cousins. He will cost WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much, and isn't a top 10 QB imo. Worst of all he's 29 already. Giving a ton of money to a QB that old to play on a young rebuilding team would be stupid and a waste of money. That would be one of the surest ways to sabotage the rebuild/youth movement.

Besides, there's no way he'd play here. He's take less to play elsewhere if the Jets offered the most money. With our CS, our OL, our lack of weapons/skill position players and lack of patience by fans, he'd stand no chance of staying healthy of succeeding here.

3. NCJetsfan

I think you're mistaken about the Redskins running game. They had a rookie RB last season (Robert Kelley) that they're very high on. He was a UDFA and he rushed for over 700 yards in part-time action. In addition, they added Samaje Perine in the draft this year. Jordan Reed, TE is still there. At WR he has Terrelle Pryor, Josh Doctson, Brian Quick, Jamison Crowder, Matt Hazel, and several rookies.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

There wasn't a consistent running game throughout the course of the season over in Washington which solidifies my point. Their defense isn't great either.

If the Jets were to have an opportunity, I would absolutely entertain the thought. Jets can then go out and fix the offensive line and provide other pieces for Cousins and I think you got a solid team. The only way you sabotage that type of acquisition is if you don't acquire pieces around the QB, sort of like the current situation the Jets are in now.

He'll more than likely be a 49er anyway, but it's still interesting to think about.

FJF likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Unlike most other positions,qbs hit there prime around 30. It's where there knowledge and physical ability intersect.
    I would sign cousins in a heartbeat, dedicate the draft to the o line, grab a wr or 2 in fa along with Quincy coming back and we are instant wild card threats while we wait for Brady to age out.
    Sadly he is heading west though

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the scenario here is that the Jets have the number 1 pick. If that's the case its easy. You draft Sam Darnold and don't even look at Garapoopalo simply for the fact that you have a better prospect on a rookie contract vs. a more polished prospect making big money.

if the Jets screw up the tank job though and end up 5-11 / 6-10, picking around 7 or 8 range. Then you consider FA QBs like Garapalo and Cousins for sure. And that's a real possibility as this organization always picks up meaningless december wins.

Garappolo will be interesting. NE has a big decision to make after the year. They can't franchise him and pay a backup $20 million and Gara ain't going to want to sit forever. If he tests the market he will get a big time contract. I don't see how NE can keep him unless they move on from Brady after the year....

7. FJF

I think cousins needs to be considered regardless of draft position. Cousins+1st overall may be better than what darnold has to offer.
    Unless garapolo is interested in a short term prove it deal I wouldn't even consider it. And he won't be interested so....

8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Belicheat's parting career advice to Jimmy G will be: don't sign with the Jets.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If we have the #1 pick with Darnold staring us in the face and go out and give big money to Cousins that may just be the breaking point with this franchise for me. I cannot even begin to think that could be a possibility but it would be a very Jet like move.

Shame on any of you posters even suggesting the possibility.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Last season is in the past and irrelevant. They have a rookie who they like a lot, and they have a first year player they like a lot. Their rushing attack will be improved this season.

I have no doubts that you would do it. Regardless, signing Cousins would be dumb imo. That would be a Woody-level dumb move because he lost patience with the rebuild or wasn't fully committed to it. This team is not ready to compete. It would be putting bandaids on a pig, and we'd be right back in the same spot we were. If we did that, Woody would want other older vet FAs signed so we could compete immediately and it would be the end of the rebuild and the Jets doing it "right."

It would absolutely be the stupidest and worst possible thing we could do. Thank God you're not the GM.

11. NCJetsfan

Why am I not surprised that you would agree with 101? 30 is way too late for QBs hitting their prime. That's ridiculous. They hit their primes around 25-26, 27 at the latest. A lot of them are in decline by their early 30s.

If he's heading West, thank God! That mind wind up being the only thing that saves this franchise and gives it a chance to complete the rebuild in the right way. SMH

12. FJF

Darnold is a good prospect but still just a prospect and not a luck,manning type of prospect. Sitting number 1 with the qb problem figured out would be a much better position than sitting number 1 and needing a qb

blackssmagic likes this.
  13. I'm sure you could easily talk Bowles & Woody into Cousins.Bowles would love a decent veteran game manager to try & convince himself he can still win w defense.

Woody always prefers the FA route & the fact that Cousins is a name at the position who doesn't need developing..bares watching;Won't get us anywhere close to what the fan base wants from the team..but hey we'll compete for the wild card,right?

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This guy gets it!

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Well we will see after this season but Darnold very well could be a Luck type prospect, at the very least the best QB prospect since Luck. Either way he would be the most talented QB ever to wear a Jets uniform since Namath.

Having that type of prospect at the most important position in all of sports is much better than signing an average QB to big money.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  16. FJF

Except most qbs are having there best seasons at age 29/30. Certainly not 25 when most are only 3-4 years in the league. From the greatest of mannings and Brady, even Rodgers to journeymen like Gannon. It's not about their physical peak but that point where they can still do what they want physically and experienced and comfortable to where the game has slowed down immensely.
    Odds are, whoever signs cousins next year will be getting the best years he has.

17. FJF

Absolutely stupid the way the saints rebuilt by adding a free agent qb too.
    And before you say cousins isn't brees, Brees wasn't Brees when he signed with New Orleans either. There's more than one way to skin a cat and the way mac is drafting,well, we may want to consider another method before it's butchered beyond repair

18. NCJetsfan

You're trying to say that QBs are hitting their prime when they're at their peak. That's wrong. They enter their prime when they really start to play consistently and well, and then they hit their peak a few years later.

I severely doubt that whoever signs Cousins will be getting his best years. He's a nice QB, but he's not all that. He looked awful for most of the time he played vs the Bengals this past weekend.

19. NCJetsfan

Seriously, you're comparing Brees and Cousins? LOL Brees had been a quality starter in SD. He sat his rookie season, developed during his first two season starting (but still threw for 5,400 yards combined. The next two seasons Brees threw for almost 7,000 yards and 51 TDs. He was 27 when he went to NO.

Cousins sat for 3 seasons, then exploded and has been great the last two seasons. He also has taken a lot of pounding over the last two seasons, taking 49 sacks and no telling how many other QB hits. That takes a toll physically and mentally on a QB, especially at his age. If that continues this season, he could resemble David Carr by the time he gets to his new team.

If Mac's drafting doesn't look much improved by the end of this season, then he should be fired along with Bowles.

IMO it was clear that Idzik was in over his head and incompetent in 2013. I knew the 2014 draft was too important and would be a disaster if Idzik wasn't fired. I believe the 2018 draft is going to be every bit as crucial for the Jets as that 2014 draft. We won't have as many draft picks, but we have a golden opportunity to get our FQB, and take major strides towards fixing our offense. If Lee, Jenkins, Burris, Edwards, and Shell don't show major improvement this season, and if Leggett, Adams, and Maye struggle beyond normal rookie mistakes/adjustments, and if the OL winds up being as big a disaster as it looks now, then there's no way I want Mac running the 2018 draft.

#39 NCJetsfan, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  20. The only way I'd be on board w cousins is if we still used the presumed top 5 pick on a QB.Then we could let the rookie sit & learn while cousins helps us contend in the short term.Similar to the Bears w Glennon/Trubisky but theoretically w more upside

This would hedge our bet & put the QB enigma to rest at least for the short term. I don't think this is a realistic scenario but I'd support it.

ajax and NCJetsfan like this.