Philip Rivers Has A Strong Arm, Right?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjunc, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Rivers vs. the Pats is a bad choice to make a case for Pennington being league elite. The Chargers as a team made too many mistakes yesterday. They handed the game to the Pats. Rivers arm strength was not the culprit.

2. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by johnny
    No offense, but if you're basing your QB selection on who can come back froma 10 point lead than I'd say that that not the best criteria to measure a QB. Yes I'd rather have a Elway, Marino, (take your pick of many other QB's) over Pennington in that situation. However, I'd like to base my QB selection on who can put me up by 10 points with seven minutes left over the guy who can bring be back.

I agree. I don't think that Chad is the best QB if you're down by 10. I also think that he (on average) doesn't throw as strong as others in the league. However, what I saw was a QB that with a twice repaired shoulder play a pretty damn effective game for the Jets against the Pats without a running game to speak of.

In my mind the QB play so far in the playoffs (including Brady - who was bad for much of the game yesterday) has been very lacking and (dare I say this) Pennington showed as well as most. IMHO anybody who though Rivers had a better game then Pennington against the same D (even if you include the drops) isn't being fair to Pennington. Taking in consideration that Rivers had the advantage of handing off to LT (and the Pats had to respect that) you have to say that Rivers didn't perform as well as Pennington.

Would I like to see Pennington get stronger and throw harder at times? Of course. Who wouldn't? Does he have a weaker than average NFL arm. Undoubtedly. Will he gain strength after his first "injury-free" year. I hope so. However if he doesn't and if Clemens can outperform Pennington I have no problem with him taking over - whether it be this coming year or next.

However, to just say that Pennington limits the playbook (which I agree to a certain extent he does) and therefore has to be replaced without seeing how both Clemens and he perform next year is jumping the gun.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

This is why the whole premise of this original post is ridiculous. You wouldn't choose Pennington over Brady though, would you?

4. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Can you mention FB 101 again? I don't think it's sinking through here yet....

:rolleyes:

In any case I like what point junc is trying to make but I think as of now it's too far of a stretch...

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Of course not. My point there is that all of these guys can make plays and none of them--even Brady--are above getting picked or beaten in a big spot. There are too many other factors to just say "this guy can win the big game" or "that guy can bring his team back". You have to look at the whole body of work, not just pull numbers that suit a certain argument. Not to pick on Brady, I'm using him as an example because he has become the standard, but switch kickers yesterday and Rivers is the hero, Brady maybe the goat.

6. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

This is where I dont get the argument anymore I.S.

Your going to pick a single play by a qb that has won 3 superbowls and lives in the post season...owns homes in the post season.

Watching Chad Pennington play QB gives you a number of positives. You know for the most part, Chad will be on target. Chad will direct the offense and not make bonehead plays.

You also know that game winning drives or attempts will feel like someone is sticking needles in your eyes. Its dinking here..and dinking there. There will be no drives of 75 yards in a 1:23..never.

Just like many defenders dont understand the negative feeling about Chad..I will never get how some can say things like "just because Chad doesnt have the strongest arm".

Lets get something straight..he doesnt have the strongest arm..he has the weakest arm. I like Chad...but Chad has the weakest arm of any NFL qb I can remember. I have never seen a QB throw the ball like Chad and probably never will again.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Good thread junc. :up:

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Rivers also lacks the experience that Pennington has not only overall, but against the Patriots in particular. Pennington also had Mangini's knowledge of the Patriots defense to help him prepare. Consider that in you comparison of who had the better game.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Chad is 1-14 in games in which the Jets trail by 7 or more going into the 4th quarter.

He's 6-26 in games in which the Jets are tied or trailing by any margin going into the 4th quarter.

Joe Montana had a much better arm than Chad, albeit not a Marino, Manning, Roethlisberger frozen rope machine.

10. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Like I said to 3rd earlier, that's over the top in my opinion. If his arm was that bad he wouldn't be playing. He throws the ball long a lot, you guys seem to block that out of your memory. And of course he has had two surgeries on the arm in the past two years, so what we've seen since mid 04 is below par for him, too. Let's see what he looks like after a normal off season for once.

11. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

No, YOU need "FB 101."

You can't even say Bryan Thomas' name, you type "99." You NEVER say shit that means anything and you live in hindsight. Whatever is wrong, you never say. But whatever is right, you beat it down, beat it down, and beat it down to the point where you get so damn annoying.

You talk down to posters and have this arrogant "I'm never wrong" attitude, and quite frankly your act has been over and done with for years. You do everything you can to badmouth this organization, and when you say something, it's full of...

"Did you not read my post from 7/24/06?"
    "Are you implying that you do not think I already NEW this INFORMATION?"
    "You should read my posts and then come back with the correct answer."

Champ, i'm implying that you're just a grumpy arrogant person. Put that on the spreadsheet.

12. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Never? I do remember an 80 yard TD drive that lasted all of :17 seconds. Happened about eight days ago. Does Chad do it as often as others? No. However to use words like never is stretching it just a bit too far. Does Chad have the weakest arm in the NFL at the moment? Probably of starting QB's - yes.

That being said, as a whole I would take his game against the Pats over most other QB play that I have seen so far this year - in the playoffs.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

A slant that goes 70 yards after a 7 yard completion is not stretching the field.

14. dbatesman

dbatesman New Member

Sorry, didn't want to make it seem like I was attacking you...I actually agree completely with what you're saying. Various combinations of physical gifts and mental toughness allows guys like Manning and Brady to have clunkers but still play well enough to win when it counts. Chad has not shown the ability to do that.

15. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Champ's marked himself down as an SLW.

16. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

rivers didnt play poorly. the 1 int he threw was just a really great play by the LB....i dont think that the outcomes have anything to do with arm stregnth...in either case...

17. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

He also had a much quicker release and was much more mobil both in and out of the pocket.

18. jaywayne12

not at all. You were just stating the same case with more emotion..lol.

19. jaywayne12

so whos stretching here. You would take chads game against all the other teams that played in the playoffs against the pats...this year.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I love the way that 15 years later Joe Montana all of a sudden has a strong arm. Chad is nowhere on the level that Montana was as a QB but lets not revise history here, Montana had below average arm strength just like Chad does..