Philip Rivers Has A Strong Arm, Right?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjunc, Jan 15, 2007.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

junc, I love Chad and think he can get us very far with the right players around him, but to say arm strength isn't an issue is burying your head in the sand. It is that obvious.

2. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

and to be honest, if RIVERS receivers held onto a few passes, they were winners inspite of MARTY! The kid did fine but his receivers suck!

3. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I don't think "it was his first playoff game" is a good agument - look at Pennington's first playoff game in his first season as a starter.

Anyhow, does it really matter?

4. dbatesman

dbatesman New Member

I agree with you completely. And if Jeff George didn't make horrible decisions every game, he would be a Hall of Famer.

Saying "he would be great if..." makes no sense. He is what he is.

5. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

that experience issues...I also saw plenty of drops by charger receivers. To watch that game yesterday and then jump on this morning praising Chad has no correlation whatsoever...."oh well Rivers couldnt beat the chargers, so Chad can win a superbowl" makes no sense junc.This is not one of your better posts bro. no offense

6. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

agree totally

7. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Junc's thinking: Peyton manning has a strong arm.no superbowl for Peyton= Chad is just as good as Peyton. retarded

8. JonathonVilmaPwnsnub

You can't take away 77 yards from Penny last week because of Cotcherys run. Chad threw it perfectly to him and hit the open man so you can't take that from him. If you took those away Qbs would not even have that many yards.

9. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

A telling story about Chad's arm is the fact that Mangini himself showed him an old bio that the Patriots had on him indicating that he couldn't throw under pressure and that he would float passed that are tight outs because of his lack of arm strength.

These paid professional coaches think so and they play Chad twice a year or so. I'll take their assessment of Chad's arm over yours, nyjunc.

10. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

funny how "undrafted free agent" posters seem to appear out of no where directly following a certain well known Chad Bashing poster on these boards.

11. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

It is amazing how excuses are made for the benefit of other QB's and to the detriment of Pennington. Rivers' stats are explained by drops, great defensive plays or mistakes by his players etc. Pennington's play is criticized the other way - Pennington did nothing, the receiver made the play etc. How is Colvin's play against SD different from his play against the Jets on the lateral? Either Colvin made a great play both times or neither pass was thrown well. Rivers actually underthrew that ball or Colvin has no chance. Yes Rivers was plagued by drops yesterday, but he got 70% of his offense's yards from the best player in the NFL and plays behind one of the best OLs in the NFL. Who exactly does Pennington play with that compares to LT or SDs OL????

12. Joe Willie White Shoes

I agree that the Charger receivers were horrible yesterday. But why ignore that 1/4 of his total passing yardage came on a screen pass to LT while pointing out the Cotchery play again? LT was that offense yesterday, not Rivers.

13. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

umm...didn't Rivers keep SD in the game until the end while the Jets lost by 3 touchdowns?

why does every QB performance have to turn into a debate about Pennington?

14. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

The Colvin play yesterday was an amazing athletic play, he was running with Tomlinson for several yards and not only managed to get a hand on the ball, but tip it up to himself for the INT as well. Against the Jets he knew what was coming and reacted accordingly. Plus he was unable to hold onto the ball last week either.

I'm not getting into the drops with Rivers, I'm talking about one specific play where laziness and terrible field awareness by a WR cost them 6. Junc is the one that brought this whole topic up, there was nothing even remotely similar about their play. To use the loss yesterday to try to excuse Pennington last week is poor form and completely without basis to boot.

You're also completely incorrect about supposed double standards for Pennington. Against the Raiders Coles had a miserable game and everyone said it. No one got on Pennington for his rather pedestrian stat line. The fact of the matter is that for most of the games this year the WRs have been a huge asset to the Jets offense and the running game has been so dismal that when things go bad Pennington is the only target. It may not be completely fair to Pennington but it proves that he is the not the franchise QB the Jets need him to be. That is why there is such a backlash against him.

#34 3rdAnd15Draw, Jan 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  15. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Yes, Colvin made a great play, but Rivers never should have thrown that pass.

However, I do agree that you can't compare the two plays. The Colvin play in the Jets game was a pretty routine attempt to bat down/intercept a swing pass while the play yesterday was pretty athletic running towards the sidelines and jumping to tip the ball.

16. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

homer alert, we all know you have a picular affection for cp and constantly need to be assured he's the most underrated qb in history and you love your boy (cp) no matter what.
    how river's played yesterday has nothing to do with cp or comparisons there of. rivers looks to have a lot more potential than your boy. i'd trade cp for rivers and even throw in a couple draft pic's if i thought the charges were stupid enough to do so. NOT!!!

17. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

this is phillip rivers first year starting first playoff game and your trying to compare arm strength only reason we had a better game then san diego is because thats our division rival and we see them twice a year and this time three times a year we probably know there entire playbook and still cant stop it so how do you ask a first time guy like philip rivers to beat a three time super bowl championship team like the patriots there record in the playoffs is 11-1 you must be perfect against them to be the the team you must beat the team and the superbowl goes threw new england in my opinion take notes from the steelers they went threw new england and they won themselves a superbowl so theres no comparison. not to mention we have an x patriots coach as our head coach. you honestly think chad has a great arm you must be crazy id take phillip rivers any day over him.

#37 tanknyc, Jan 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  18. Joe Willie White Shoes

In fact, no QB looks like a franchise QB in these playoffs. The QB play has been pretty poor all the way around, which goes to show that you need more than a QB to win in January.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Philip Rivers has Marty Schottenheimer too.

Coaching scared and stupid will lose you the game everytime. And Marty is the scaredest, stupidest coach in playoff history.

Name me one QB with an arm as weak as Chads who has ever won a Super Bowl. And don't start with Dilfer, because arm strength was not his problem, field vision was.

20. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

That's what happens in the playoffs because defense usually wins and the best defenses get this far. That's why it's ridiculous for people to endlessly bitch about Chad not getting us to "the next level" and completely ignore his success that gets us to the playoffs any time he's in there at QB. There is no "next level", it's about getting here to give yourself a chance, then getting a few breaks or having someone make a few plays or a kick. Levels went away with free agency over 10 years ago.