PFT: Leon Washington market could heat up soon

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetfanmack, Mar 7, 2010.

1. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Irony- reading this thread while watching Leon take one back to the house against the Pats. Love Leon but that injury looked bad last year and if we can get a second for him I'm all for it.

2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

is it too late to add a poll to this thread?

3. harts24

harts24 Member

This is stupid the draft is a freakn crap shoot, you never give away a proven probowl player in his prime for a draft pick!

4. GG2000

GG2000 Member

Agree, or I could even envision a scenario where they don't lose Leon and still draft a RB (Matthews, Best, Gerhart) with one of first two picks, creating a sort of "two-headed monster" rushing attack (w/ Leon as say, the change-of-pace back) that would force opposing D's to stack the box to stop it. I'd still prefer a Graham or a Iaputi to fall to us at #29 but barring that, I'm not ruling out this scenario for now.

5. Enigmah

Enigmah Active Member

I would tend to agree, but the circumstances in THIS situation are far from that. You don't know which Leon this team is getting this upcoming season, so banking on him being the Leon of old is as big of a crapshoot as you say the draft is.

6. cloudb2000

cloudb2000 Member

Let just wait and see how good both Jones and Washington are with a bad line. They are both products of a run built offensive line

7. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

Dumb dumb dumb. What the fuck is this team doing? We ditch Feely, Strickland, Wright, Jones, Rhodes and now possibly Leon? And pick up Cromartie who is a friggin cream puff?!?!? This offseason totally blows asshole...

Screw productive players when it comes to money I guess.

The coup de gras is gonna be when the Jets totally neglect the offensive and defensive lines to draft replacement players for all the motherfuckers we let go...

8. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I'd love to keep Leon around, but the more I think about it, a second rounder would be nice. A lot of people on here and in the front office must REALLY have a lot of confidence in Greene after what they saw this year.

I'd love to have Leon back, but at a fair price. Talk about someone who's had some bad luck in the past year. And a bad agent. Not so long ago, many people on here were all for giving him a big contract for several years. I can't say I was against it either. One injury later, he's not worth anywhere close to what he was. He's gotta be pissed that he didn't agree to something earlier. He'd have been a richer man.

#28 bojanglesman, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  9. GG2000

GG2000 Member

Good point .. remember how putrid TJ's numbers were with Arizona and Tampa Bay, and then began improving once he started running behind better OLs in Chicago and New York.

10. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

If Washington's healthy, he'd fare a lot better than Jones.

11. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I agree with this. It is a gamble but one that makes sense because we do not know what Leon will be when he gets back.

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Exactly. Thomas Jones has horrible vision for a running back. The guy just doesn't know how to pick a hole and burst through it.

Shonn Greene was excellent in limited action last year because he finds a lane and bursts through it.

There's no reason why a running back on our team should gain less than three yards on almost every attempt like Jones did in most games.

13. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Well we have already proven we can win without Leon. I love him as a player and hurts to say he is expendable. I would not mind a second round pick in a very deep draft.

14. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

E, I respect your opinion....feelings on Mike Bell? I think he could be a fit on this roster. As a third back, of course.

15. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

The willingness, (if thats what it is) to give up Washington makes me wonder if they don't think hes going to be the player he was, or value after his injury.
    Either way, Nobody is going to know how he plays until pre season. If he walks away and plays out of his skin, Tanny and Co may be left with huge amounts of egg on face.

16. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Id be incredibly excited if we get a 2nd round pick for leon, even if it is late.

We are such a heavy run team, Leons almost 30 coming off a serious injury, id much prefer a young healthy back who is going to be able to endure taking a large share of carries.

And with Leon being essential to the ground game now, I cant see them using him on special teams as much either. If Shonn Greene gets hurt, who would be comfortable with Leon taking all the carries ?

A 2nd round pick in one of the most talented draft classes ever absolutely eclipses a running back coming off a serious injury @ nearing the end of his career.

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Mike Bell probably won't end up here. He's drawing a lot of interest from a lot of other teams.

If we brought Bell in though, he'd be a great power spell for Greene.

18. ........

........ Trolls

Yep. Most of us are hoping for a RB in the first two rounds. If Leon goes, that becomes a certainty IMO.

19. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Leon was part of that for less than half of the games. We did it without him for most of last year and we can do it again without him for all of next year.

If we can get a second out of it, it's time to let Leon go. I'd rather see him walk now with compensation that be forced to let him walk in a year when we have to redo everyone's contracts without any compensation.

20. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I've liked him since he was in Denver. Buried on an obviously deep N.O. offense, think he'd be an above average back behind our O-line. I saw on another thread where you mention the back from Stanford. Think he can make it to the late 2nd round? They're going to draft a back at some point in this draft I would assume.