Petty and Hackenberg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Section 336, Jan 26, 2018.

1. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Huh? I believe he didn't want to invest a 1st rd pick in Watson (2nd mistake) because he wanted to believe his 2nd rd reach (1st mistake) Christian Hackenberg was going to be the Jets future qb. If Mac never makes the Hackenberg pick, there is a good chance we drafted Watson or perhaps Mahomes in rd 1 last year. One mistake compounded by another because of pride/ego.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I get it, it just doesn't really make sense. Not taking a player you like because of pride/ego over a pick you already made is what fans want to believe, GMs know theyll miss on pick and move on. Not like Watson was anything close to being a consensus pick at 6, nevermind Mahomes, who most had going in latter rounds. I also dont believe for a second that he still thinks Hack will be the Jets future QB. If he does then he should be fired right now.

Red Menace likes this.
  3. playtowinthegame

Bullshit. Mac wasn't closing the book on Hack by drafting Watson or Mahomes.

4. LF911SC

Bullshit? As if you know it as fact? That you actually believe he thinks Hack will be a FQB. So I guess using this logic he won't draft a QB or sign a QB in FA, no need for one he has Hack and of course it would make him look bad.

Again, no one was drafting Mahomes at 6, just fans who a year later got excited seeing one meaningless game then ask why we didn't over draft him

5. playtowinthegame

You better believe last year Mike Maccagnan thought so. If he thinks that this year he needs to be fired on the spot. As for Watson in the 2017 draft he should have gone to the Jets at 6. I don't care what draftnik geeks said last year. I can remember reading stupido Vince Young comparisons. Like Watson was a one time hit flash in the pan in the National Championship game...Watson kicked ass not once but twice against Saban's Alabama defense loaded with NFL talent. It's amazing to me how dumb some smart people can get in April when they over think a pick. Turn on the tape. The film don't lie. Watson had that it factor or whatever you call "it" heading into the draft. To be honest, Mac should have been fired this past December for both reaching for Christian Mackenberg and then a year later passing on Deshaun Watson. Instead Bowles and Mac were rewarded with 2 year extensions, because gosh darn it everyone loves each other and tries real hard. LMAO. That's my favorite team! Go Jets!

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. LF911SC

He may have thought there was a possibility he could improve but there is no way he believed that he was the Jets next FQB. Not one shred of evidence supports the idea that Hack was capable or that Macc believed it.

You don't have to sell me on Watson, I wanted him too. Big time. I liked that he was always a winner, the knock on his arm strength and accuracy be damned. But that doesn't make me blind to the fact that at 6 he was thought by most to be a reach. Doesn't make smart people dumb. You make sound decisions and the sound decision was he doesn't go at 6. Good for him, he played like some of us thought he could. So I would never fire a GM for ranking him where everyone else did. Happens, players develop more than people expect. And in no way does any team ever fire a GM because a 2nd round pick fails.

#26 LF911SC, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    Red Menace likes this.
  7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Let's pretend for a minute that we sign Teddy Bridgewater who is still recovering during camp and draft a rookie who is not ready to play, Why not have two cheap, veterans who might be capable of winning a roster spot to hold the fort during camp?

TonyFtLaud and LAJet like this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We would have to pretend the two cheap veterans actually could hold the fort. From what I've seen, neither Petty nor Hackenberg are capable of doing that. We would lose nothing by cutting either kid and going with another off the shelf journeyman. You might even get an upgrade all things considered.

ColoradoContrails and Harpua like this.
  9. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

It's a complete head-scratcher to me why this has to be explained. It also tells me a few things ... :eek:

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  10. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Not sure why you need to act like a fucking asshole all the time when you post. Make you feel big and powerful?

#1 - He isn't one of my good ole boys - I was born in Queens and live the majority of my life in NY

#2 - I started the thread stating it was nothing we already didn't know in hindsight, but thought it funny and interesting that a coach who was employed in the NFL at the time, who watched tape to grade them pre-draft -- literally said Hackenberg couldn't complete a pass.

Centiment likes this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It’s really your own fault for reading the post

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's big and powerful cause he got so many likes so quickly. Duh.

13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I am not saying no to that idea but I would not cut either player until their replacement is on the roster. Also, you will not get a journeyman at a lower price than Petty. Hack makes slightly more than Petty but that may also be less than a journeyman. Not only would the journeyman count against us in the compensatory pick formula but the additional pay to upgrade either Hack or Petty (or both) would be less cap space that we could carry forward to the following year (or use on other positions including starting QB now,

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Oh sorry ..
    Yes you are right 336..sorry for the harsh there

Actually I honestly thought you were solidgoldbowles..see post..and with him I am always snippy..AHAHAHAHAH

Take a look at this Board we are ALL frustrated,Powerless,and can only vent

After almost 50 years a fan maybe it's break time for me

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Nice post..

It's incredible you ONLY get 2 likes because it sums it up in a nutshell

It's amazing how only a few on the TGG get it...oh well...frustrating situation to say the least with Team and fans

playtowinthegame likes this.
  16. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Exaxtly! By refusing to admit their mistake the Jets made things worse by not going after a QB last year. Think about how different we would all feel about this franchise had they made the move to get Watson or Mahomes?

It would be a step in the right direction if the Jets cut ties with both of these guys. Petty obviously is gone, but I dont see the purpose of handing any more practice reps to Hackenberg. Word on the street was that he was so bad on the scout team that he needed to split reps with Joel Stave.

playtowinthegame likes this.
  17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I think Petty is gone this offseason while they retain Hack just to cut him next season.

18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

People still putting Watson in the HoF.

His 49 MPH max velocity football would get blown around at MetLife. Doubt he would have sustained success in NY with the weather and abysmal coaching staff.

Furthermore, Hopkins still had career numbers after Watson went out. Meaning, Hopkins was so good, anyone could throw to him with success.

I wanna see some sustained success first before I use Watson as a barometer of success for a GM passing/taking him.

19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I'm with you when it comes to putting any young QB in HOF before he plays a game or just one game.

However Watson is different, he was on a tear the likes of which only good QBs who are transitioning to FQB make.

It was not a fluke, he is the real deal, the toughest part to measure on any QB after the intangibles or fundamentals is the mental aspect during a game, that's why it's so important to give these young guys reps in practice so they can apply what they are learning.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but how many QBs who play terrible in big college games ever change that propensity?

They don't, usually the guys who play well in big college games play well in the nfl as well.

Some critics look at his arm strenght but again, in the NFL it's about accuracy not necessarily arm strength, he was a very accurate passer in college and he is actually improving on a 66% completion percentage.

At the end of the day the guy still was a top 15 pick, that is nothing to be critical of. A top 15 pick is expected to produce sooner than later.

Your point about CS is spot on, too may guys dismiss the importance of a quality offensive minded CS. Jets have changed the scheme 3 times already, that's what the niners did before Harbaugh came in and fixed Alex Smith for good.

tbruner12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agree. Watson only played 5 games or something. Its way way too early to crown him.

Another aspect that may make him fools' gold is they were running Clemson's offense when he was playing. He looked comfortable in the offense he ran for years, sure, but they may have found success because the system itself was unique and not something teams had prepared well for.

If Watson didn't get injured, it is possible defensive coaches would have figured it all out and made him look like a rookie. We will never know-- wait, actually we will in 2018 !

NCJetsfan likes this.