Peter King on the Jets-Colt trade.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AlexJETS, Mar 19, 2018.

1. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

THE JETS-COLTS TRADE
    Before we analyze the winner and loser in the big weekend Jets-Colts deal (there is neither, by the way), I’ll make one prediction: There’s a good chance the Colts aren’t done trading yet. After dealing from three to six, I could see them moving down one more time before the April 26 first round. GM Chris Ballard said as much to his team’s website Saturday, and I can add a confirmation to that. Ballard’s going to try.

This deal: Indianapolis traded the third overall pick to the Jets for a first-rounder this year (sixth overall), two second-rounders this year (37th and 49th overall) and a second-round pick next year.

It’s pretty easy to say the Colts routed the Jets, getting three second-round picks to move three measly spots. But they’re three giant spots if you want to be assured of getting one of the top quarterbacks in this draft.

[​IMG]
    GETTY IMAGES
    The earliest we’ll be able to make an educated guess on the outcome of the deal is in mid- to late-2019, when we’ve seen the quarterback the Jets pick play pro football, and we know if making that deal was worth Indy’s haul of four picks in the top 50, or whatever Colts GM Chris Ballard turns them into.

Two recent deals must be studied for precedent here:

• In 2012, Washington traded three first-round picks and a second-round pick to the Rams for the second overall pick. Immense payment to move up four spots. In fact, on the Draft Trade Value Chart that some teams use (not religiously), Washington gave up 5,490 points of draft-pick value and acquired 2,600. But that was the price they had to pay to move up for Robert Griffin III. Griffin, of course, was a bust. So you’d think the Rams killed Washington on the trade. But with the trade of linebacker Alec Ogletree to the Giants this month, the Rams have only defensive tackle Michael Brockers left from the mega-trade with Washington. They made terrible use of the picks. If possible, considering so many dashed hopes, this was a trade that hurt both teams.

• In 2016, Philadelphia traded first-, third- and fourth-round picks in 2016, a first-round pick in 2017 and a second-round pick in 2018 to Cleveland to acquire the second overall pick in the ’16 draft, and a fourth-rounder in 2017. That first-rounder turned into Carson Wentz, who appears to be a franchise quarterback. Cleveland? It’s not over, but it’s not looking good so far. The five picks from Philadelphia have so far turned into 10 picks, and of the eight players the Browns have chosen so far, only one of them—safety Jabrill Peppers—appears to have a chance to be a top-flight starter. The highest pick, wideout Corey Coleman (15th overall, 2016) has been wholly unimpressive. Cleveland has the fourth and 64th picks this year to try to make this trade pay off.

That’s why it’s folly to say the Jets overpaid. What New York has done, in the wake of losing Kirk Cousins to the Vikings in last week’s free-agency derby, is settle for its second-best quarterback option. The Jets have assured themselves of one of the top four passers in the draft—either Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen or Josh Allen. My money’s on Mayfield, who could go from the pride of Norman to Broadway Baker.

Catfish Billy, themorey and xxedge72x like this.
  2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

After looking at those two deals above you could say the Jets STOLE the #3.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

At a minimum, they did what they needed to. They didn't sit back like a passive wimp while the rest of the league went out and won. The Jets secured their seat at the table they needed to be at to move forward. This story is far from over, but for now at least, props to MacCagnan for having a plan and executing it.

4. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Exactly. We won't know how this will turn out until a year or so, but the old Jets would have sat and waited and missed out on the party. At least we are doing something.

5. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I had a feeling the Colts were seeking quantity over quality. I could see them asking for both Buffalo 1sts to get to 6. Buffalo only does it if they can get to at least #4 afterwards though.

6. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

It is crazy for anyone to be upset about this trade. We didn't even have to give up a 1st round pick. Rarely EVER are teams able to trade up for a QB and not give up a 1st round pick.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Both positions are reasonable at this point. You can be very upset or very happy about the deal and the opinion is defensible. My opinion is that the truth lies somewhere between those two extremes.

The QB the Jets take with the pick will determine in the end who is right and who is wrong.

8. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I mean, if you think the Giants are definitely going QB at 2 (I do), than there is a chance all 4 QBs are gone before 6. Indy was trading 3 no matter what. If it wasn't the Jets, it would have been Denver/Buffalo/Arizona.

If the first 3 QBs were gone in the first 3 picks, its not exactly crazy to think Allen/Mayfield could have gone on the 4th or 5th pick.

Would I have loved the Jets to keep one of their seconds? Of course. But if you think Cleveland and the Giants are going QB, than you have to make this move. Now you cannot be jumped.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I agree overall, but without judging the move with 20/20 hindsight, I love it. Meaning, I love the trade because the Jets were aggressive and attempting to get their franchise QB for the next decade. I can't see how any fan would be upset with that. Add in the fact that they could have given up much more, it's a great deal. So the only real negative is if the QB they choose is a bust, which we clearly can't judge for a couple years.

CotcheryFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's a terrible article. he discounts the fact the rams got jenkins who was a probowl CB for them for years and they got a comp pick when they let him walk and kept johnson instead from the same draft (who we just signed) thanks to the trade they had 2 #1 CBs anchoring the back end of the defense for 4 years. they also had ogletree for 4 years playing well and were able to offload him for the picks. the skins got nothing out of RG3 meanwhile the rams got 8 years of good play out of ogletree and jenkins combined, as well as a pick for each of them when they needed to save money.

11. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

And the pic is of us punting.

forevercursed likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It is very surprising to me that the 2019 pick is a second rounder and not a first rounder. If I was the Colts I would've held the Jets to the fire longer to make it a 1st. They didn't have to accept this early. Waiting it out only puts more pressure on the Jets. Oh well, good for us I guess

13. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Rosen or Mayfield and im good i dont think ive ever had a meltdown but that would be the reaction if Josh Allen is chosen #NeverJoshAllen

14. Br4d

Again, the person who is extremely upset about this deal has many angles to stake their position from:

1. The Jets gave up 4 premium picks for 1. This is usually a foolhardy move as the NFL grinds down the value of most individuals picked after a few years, meaning there is safety in numbers.

2. The Jets did not get a free run at the player of their choice when they did this. They may well wind up with the third person on their shortlist at QB.

3. The Jets have a lot of positions where their talent is underwhelming at this point in the rebuild. They have open holes at QB, C, WR*, TE and DE. They have talent deficits generally at OT and OLB. The NT is over 30. Those 3 second round picks would have likely been used to address some of the other questions that this last place roster has at the moment.

I'm not going to take this too deep because I am ambivalent about the move and will like it if the right guy falls to the Jets at 3. The point is that a reasonable person can be very upset about this deal from a basic reading of the facts in play.

This is how "any fan could be upset" with the risk the Jets took by being aggressive and moving up.

*Anybody who thinks Robbie Anderson is real value at this point didn't watch the Josh Gordon fiasco that closely. Anderson has two felony arrests now in just over 2 years and the first of them is likely to be reinstated now that he has been arrested again.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While you are probably right about the "angles" or reasons why some posters are upset, imo they're all looking at the issue incorrectly. QB trumps EVERYTHING! The Jets haven't had a FQB since Chad and desperately need one. This is the best chance the Jets have had to get one since 2014. I don't count last year because I don't think there was any way Mac was going to draft a QB in the 1st round last year after drafting Hack in the 2nd round in 2016. Before 2014, I don't even remember when the Jets had a chance to draft a true FQB prospect. It's been that darned long.

Mac also is desperate to get a true FQB prospect because if he doesn't get one in this draft, he probably won't have a job next year this time. Bowles should be desperate as well, because without one, he is never going to make the playoffs, and he too won't last long.

I don't care if we had holes at every other single position on the team, QB is the most important. Further, I wouldn't have cared if he had to give up 10 premium picks and neither should anyone else. The only thing that really matters is getting the chance to finally get a FQB. If we get one, we're set at the most important position for the next 10-15 years. You don't often get a chance to draft a true FQB, and when you do, you have to take it. Mac obviously likes at least 3 of the top 4 QBs and would be happy with any of them or he wouldn't have stopped at #3.

16. Br4d

This is how the Texans destroyed David Carr's career. Just saying.

TwoHeadedMonster and Cidusii like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

That scenario would only happen if the Jets would throw the rookie out there day one and let him take a beating. That isn't happening. Mac has already said that they plan to sit whomever they draft his rookie season. That's why they signed both McCown and Teddy.

18. Jay Bizniss

Unless he absolutely lights it up in training camp/preseason. May not start Week 1, but I could see our draft pick coming in around Halloween.

19. NCJetsfan

He possibly could, but when Mac said before that Hack wouldn't see the field, he didn't. I fully expect Teddy to win the starting job out of TC. If he does, he ain't letting go of that starting spot, no matter how good the rookie looks in practice.

TwoHeadedMonster and Jay Bizniss like this.
  20. Jay Bizniss

That is fine with me, gives the rook some time to sit and get adjusted, while Teddy lights it up. I look forward to see how Teddy does. If he has a great season, we can absolutely use him in a trade next off season.