Pennington deal is DONE: ESPNEWS

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AMJets, Mar 5, 2006.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't think that Chad is as entirely without comeback potential or marketability in the league as you, it seems.

2. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

Yeah, we should start a pool. I think week 6 would make a good over/under.

3. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

im not saying he cant comeback. but mostly every so called "expert" from mort to clayton said if chad got cut he wouldnt have no market. which you have to believe is accurate coming off 2 injuries in which most qbs dont comeback after 1

4. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

This is a win-win. We save $$ on the cap and if he plays well he will get his money back. The incentives might not hit this years cap because they go off of expectations. so depending on what the incentives are we should get a big savings there.

5. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Good to hear, now to FA.

6. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

You are absolutely right.

With his history of success and winning 60% of his starts and with the dearth of quality QBs in the NFL, he would have definitely had a market, especially after pocketing $12 million in cash from the Jets. Someone (Miami, Buffalo, Baltimore, Oakland, Washington, Dallas, Detroit, New Orleans, Arizona, to name a few teams that need QBs) would have taken a chance on him.

I also don't understand how a player like Adrian Jones, who has done nothing for the Jets and might never do anything, gets "all the love" while proven players like Pennington whose only bad act was to get injured while playing , and who has won and acted with nothing but class since he got here, become trash.

If Jet fans don't see how this is a great move for the Jets - either he comes back to his old form and it pays off or he can't play and the Jets don't bleed money getting rid of him - then they don't understand the game on the field or financially.

7. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Brilliant. Let's root against the starting QB making a comeback.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I could not agree more my friend. :up:

Disclaimer: RobA did not actually type that. I just thought it would be funny.:rofl2: :breakdance:

9. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

Hey man, take the over and you won't have to root against him.

10. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I do think that this is a good deal for both the Jets and Pennington, but he wouldn't have pocketed $12 million in cash from the Jets if he had been cut - that was the cap hit from accelerating the signing bonus. He has, of course, pocketed $22M on this deal already, either way. We'll never know, but I would have been surprised if he could have gotten much more than the veteran minimum anywhere else, with little chance of competing for a starting position in training camp. IMO the Jets were always going to offer him more money, and a better chance of starting, than any other team would have, and I have no problem with that.

11. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

exactly everything he is getting here he would get anywhere else. he woulda took the minimum and backedup trent green in kc if he was cut.

12. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

That reminded me of the rumors of him reuniting with Edwards - I wonder if Herm is upset about this!

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

As long as the Jets draft a replacement for Pennington, I'm ok with the resigning. Still though, cutting ties and taking the entire cap hit THIS season would have been the perfect option. However, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Guess they had to throw a bone to the season ticket holders...

It's just a matter of time before we hear the BS about the Jets being "contenders" this year. Either way, This is Pennington's LAST CHANCE to show he can actually play QB and not go on IR with the next big hit he takes. If he gets hurt again, and assuming he'll start due to his contract if he's able to walk on the field, we'll all know PDQ..

I don't care for Pennington however, he's better than Bollinger and most likely whoever they draft this year too. 1 LAST CHANCE CHAD!!!

14. ROCKJET

ROCKJET New Member

without a"dink'n'dunk" offensive coordinator (aka buddy hackett) and a threatening running game to back up his very good play faking abilities, pennington is a mediocre QB.

any attempt by him to be a big time thrower exposes his weakness (arm strength).

he can't buy time in the pocket.

he can't throw on the run.

when the play breaks down,he can't ad-lib and make a play.

(ps--don't give me that cr@p about how accurate he is on long passes. stats lie. the percentage of medium and long passes are just a blip on the screen compared to the dinks and dunks.

2002 was a long time ago and the stars were aligned properly for him to secure an unjustified cool 64 million dollar contract.

sorry, but i need to watch a QB who can put the fear of God in CB's.

eight men in the box waiting to destroy our running back (fill in any name)....ain't no way to play championship football.

but, under the present circumstances, pennington's contract is good for us , for now, because of cap issues, BUT , please!!! draft / obtain someone who can take this franchise on his right/left arm (without tearing it) and have us pumping our fists with excitement on sundays.

hopefully the new mgmt team has a keen eye for talent and can somehow (fingers crossed) press all the right button and create a new team to be reckenoned with.

15. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

shouts you people eh?...hmm

and people would admit to being wrong if/when chad proves em wrong

16. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

once the ticker hits zero in week 17:beer:

17. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

I'm glad he's staying.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't buy into your argument about mediocrity. He has mediocre athletic ability, I'll grant you that, but his instincts and playfaking made up for it enough to rate him among the elite when he was healthy.

My problem is the health part. They need to give him time to come back to a certain point of health and then determine if he'll ever have a chance to reach 02 form. If not, he will probably then be shown the door. This is a business, after all. I'm glad they're giving him a chance to come back, though.

Your point about the running game is one that affects any team with a successful passing game. They need a ground threat to produce. And while Curtis may have another starting season in him, he isn't the future, and neither is Cedric Houston. So I suppose I agree with you there.

19. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

When was the last time a team got entirely gutted and then ran a successful rebuilding process from no foundation? This was a good move by the Jets because now they can slowly put pieces together to create a championship team, not free up cap space and sacrifice year after year.

20. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

Huh? :confused:

Anyway, I'm just dandy with the way things turned out. Not only do the Jets save money by not cutting him, they also get back a proven QB (when healthy) for a reasonable price. The Jets can still bring in another vet to compete with him, and even possibly draft Cutler (an idea I'm not thrilled about) or Croyle to sit under Chad for a year or two.

I saw someone stating that bringing Chad back would hamper the rebuilding process at the QB position. Do they figure throwing a rookie QB into the fire from the start behind a porous O-Line would make further progress or something?