PENALTIES - bad bad bad

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

This is 100% on coaching. Namely Toilet Gump Bowles... shameful.

Zero ability to teach discipline.

Can’t wait till he is flushed.

SOJ

2. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Disappointed.

3. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Yea he is a really dumb coach holding this team back. I mean our secondary is still looking like shit despite the talent. Ever hear of guys being coached up? I'm convinced Bowles coaches down. Nobody would ever know this fool actually played secondary in his life.

Undisciplined and unprepared have been a hallmark of this team in the Bowles era. As is getting outcoached and outschemed. Why would it change now? It won't

Week 1 in Detroit 10 penalties coming up easy. Plus it doesn't help that the league always seems to target us for the cheapest BS calls unlike New England who get away with offensive holding and pick plays 30 times a game

NYJetsO12 and Longsuffering88 like this.
  4. Longsuffering88

You are correct

And you are being kind and objective

The guy just doesn’t have that “IT” factor.

He’s s nice story, nice guy, but not a HC.

I could explain his 376 shortcomings but why bother. It’s overwhelming.

Sorry to say

5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Well, it's a preseason game, but I thought the Jets by virtue of last season's play was over the dumb sh#t penalties phase, but maybe not. You are 100% right about it being on the coaches.

NYJetsO12, Brook! and Longsuffering88 like this.
  6. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

I miss Mike Westhoff ..

7. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Special teams was atrocious. Penalties were atrocious. The dline actually looked decent and secondary looked mediocre. They have tons of cleaning up to do.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I wasn't able to see the game...did my best in monitoring NFL.com, which wasn't very informative. I also read the comments here during the game, but again, that's just "Stream of consciousness" with no context. Anyone care to summarize what happened? near as I can tell, Sam did pretty well despite the game plan/play calling and some bad drops. Also, our "vaunted" defense seems to be in mid-season form, allowing easy passes and getting no pass rush. And our ST seems to have picked up where they left off - in a death spiral to the septic tank. Finally, Bowles and his CS are delivering the "consistency" so many praise, but which consistently produces poor results.

Did I get the essence of things? If so, let me go on record now as saying I want them to fire Bowles and his CS now, because if this continues, there really sin't anything to lose and much to be gained, as in preparing for 2019 ASAP.

SOJAZ and boozer32 like this.
  9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

That's about right. Unfortunately, it's not like the "it's only preseason" argument really matters here, since what we're seeing is what we've been seeing for years: weak OL play, no pass rush, abysmal special teams, far too many penalties on the negative side, decent run defense and red zone defense on the positive side. There's no reason to think that anything has changed in a meaningful way. Darnold looked good, but so did McCown last year, so what reason is there to think that this team is going to be much (or any?) better than last year's team?

10. Longsuffering88

Sam was decent but still no long passes

Defense was a lot of bend but no break and a nice forced turnover

It’s the part of the game that requires legit coaching that was a disaster

A million penalties and terrible ST with turnover

Essentially the perfect example of a team ready for a REAL competent coaching staff

Think Jets 1996- Just before Parcells

dman928 likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If it weren't for Darnold, I would be really depressed.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Don't worry Uncle Todd will have them running some laps and doing some more pushups and this will get cleared up in no time. " Penalties happen its not the end of the world " LOL can't wait for this guy to be gone , ugh another wasted year with him

Harpua, dman928, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  13. Longsuffering88

Best post ever. So true.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Special Teams and the penalties were beyond disappointing tonight. Can't say "It's just Pre-Season" either. Clearly the team lacks discipline. Too many examples to name, and that is just from this game alone.

CBG, boozer32 and Trainer like this.
  15. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

The Giants played damn near perfect right? Or was it the zebras only had one team under the magnifying glass? First drive the rook marches downfield for a TD... then our special teams unit...look like they have for the last three years!!! (We need a new teams coach...) after that flag city. The Giants are still shit and we will still have a better record than them as usual.

FJF likes this.
  16. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Oy vey, penalties and ST were definitely the biggest disappointments. We knew the Oline was sketchy and the pass rush non-existent, but this? It could be a loooong season.

boozer32 likes this.
  17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

In the last 22 years each team has had the better record 11 times, and in the 10 years before that the Giants were overwhelmingly better than the Jets, so I'm not sure how usual it is for the Jets to have a better record. And the Giants had 6 penalties, so they were far from perfect - it's just that the Jets were awful (13 penalties). I expect that the two teams will have similar seasons, winning something like 5 to 7 games. The difference is that the Jets will be doing it with a rookie QB who will hopefully be getting better and better, while the Giants will be doing it with a 37-year old QB who will be getting worse.

Dreadmadseen likes this.
  18. Longsuffering88

So are you saying this game was on the refs?

Lmao

Sad....

jonnyd likes this.
  19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I agree. The Jets will go nowhere as long as he is the coach. They looked awful and any QB that starts for them will suffer behind that horrible offensive line. They looked bad in all 3 phase of football and that is unacceptable in preseason and regular season. They are just not coached well at all.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Don't forget the monotone post game talking points that can put people into a coma.

Footballgod214 and NYJetsO12 like this.