Pat Mahomes

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Jan 4, 2017.

1. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

The ideal trade down is if Cleveland falls in love with a QB that is not of interest to the Jets. Then your still picking at 12 with an extra 2nd or 3rd. That though is wishful thinking. Also don't count Buffalo out as they may want to trade up if they move on from Tyrod Taylor.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In an ideal world, the Jets would go offense in the first two rounds this year to try to balance things out a bit. It is certainly merited, and I would love it. The problem is, it's not an ideal world. Unless a couple of the QBs shoot up the rankings following their workouts at the Combine or due to the lack of QBs in the NFL, or unless Howard shoots up the rankings further following his Combine workout, at this point there's really only two offensive players worthy of being taken in the first 6 picks, and that's Fournette and Williams of Clemson. Most people don't think RBs should be taken that high. In addition, there may be some risk or concern regarding his ankles and the high ankle sprains he has suffered, especially considering his running style. WR isn't a huge need. Thus the Jets may be faced with either taking an elite "can't miss" prospect at #6 regardless of position, or trading down, acquiring an extra pick or picks, but missing out on any of the "can't miss" prospects.

Even though I love Mahomes, I don't think the Jets should take him unless he's there in the 2nd round, and even that would be risky. He may be a project, and Mac can't take a project that high again, even if he is a great prospect at QB. Besides, I think he needs to give Petty and Hack a chance.

If Howard doesn't move up that high in the rankings, I suppose they could trade down a little, get an extra pick, go with Howard (who is pretty darned close to a "can't miss" prospect if he isn't), and then possibly get Ramczyk or Bolles in the 2nd round. That would probably be the most logical and realistic way that they could take offensive prospects with their first two picks in the draft.

If the Jets stay put, imo the best value is with the defense, either at S (Hooker or Adams) or ILB (Foster). The Jets may even opt to go CB at #6, but I hope not. If they're committed to getting a CB in the 1st round, I hope they'll trade down.

It definitely is going to be an interesting FA period and draft. I'm trying to be optimistic and hopeful, but with the Jets, that's a daunting task.

#122 NCJetsfan, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    westiedog1 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

Interesting. You could be right about that, but pitchers with flawed mechanics often wind up with arm or shoulder troubles.

4. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I think Pat Mahomes has the biggest boom or bust potential out of the whole class but I don't think I would select him in the first, unless it was a late first round selection. I agree that there are a great deal of defensive prospects that will certainly cement their position in the top 10 and agree that the two real offensive prospects that would warrant a top 10 pick are Fournette and Williams.

I think trading down is certainly a possibility but I just can't overlook Fournette. I think he may go to the Jaguars but if he's there at 6 I wouldn't hesitate at all.

Our WR group is interesting because although I think its a very nice group, I think it can use work depending on what the Jets decide to do with Marshall and how Decker's injury progresses. Williams will be a beast in the NFL imo.

I think the picture will become a lot clearer once free agency settles and we see who the Jets target.

#124 grkmanga31, Feb 13, 2017
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

jmo, but to fathom the idea of a QB having his draft rating improved by simply throwing passes to WR's in a combine or exhibition speaks of how dumb and ludicrous this can come about. The abilities of a QB's traits can only be determined in real game situations. Did the Jets use this as a measuring stick to draft the last 4 quarterbacks? I wouldn't be surprised. Combines for QB's is a complete joke.

FJF likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's a possibility of course, but a QB throws way fewer passes than a pitcher throws pitches. I'll take my chances.

7. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

Pat's father was a MLB pitcher for 12 seasons. I don't think Pat's mechanics are flawed from an anatomical point of view.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

I read all the rationale and logic here for passing on taking a QB with their #6 pick, or even their first if they trade down, and it all sounds reasonable, but I can't shake the feeling that Mahomes is the next Favre or Elway, and what would everyone think if the Jets passed on him and that became true? Yes, I know he's a gamble, but everything is. It's a gamble if the Jets wait until next year to hopefully get a top 2 or 3 pick, AND hopefully the QB they select turns out to be their FQB and not another Sanchize or Geno - that's a lot of HOPE, i.e. gambling.

Finding a FQB is like finding a four leaf clover: you can do research into where the most clover grows, and where the most four leaf clovers are found, but then you have to walk through the trail to get there, and along the way you're going to be distracted by lots of other sights and attractions. And once you finally get there and start the tedious searching, you're going to be plagued with doubts - "Maybe there's none here", and "Even if I find one, who says the superstition is actually true?" But if you persist through all of that, you MIGHT find that four leaf clover, and then you have a CHANCE - not a guarantee - that your wishes come true. But if you abandon the process before this point, one thing is certain: You'll never find out.

Yes, the Jets can do the "prudent" thing and draft "D" once again, or trade down so they can avoid being blamed for blowing another high pick, but they'll be "Penny-wise, and pound-foolish" if they do. Draft Mahomes at #6, and then work the draft from there. And come TC, let him compete for the starting job, which I believe he'll either win, or show that he's close and could step in if Petty falters. Finding the FQB is the #1 priority if this team is EVER going to rise above failure.

9. NCJetsfan

They are. His footwork is very inconsistent. He often throws with just his arm, doesn't use his hips or legs at all. He often throws off his back foot and falling away from the receiver.

10. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

I meant that his mechanics will not cause him injuries in the long run, like flawed mechanics can do to baseball pitchers. Nobody denies that his footwork is awful.

TonyFtLaud and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

You have some good points and I like your passion. I truly am torn regarding Mahomes. I don't think Mac will take him, but perhaps I'm wrong. It will be interesting to see. If Mac does take him, of course I'll root like crazy for him. Again if Mac does take him, I hope that either Mahomes will very quickly show himself ready to start from day 1 or will show quickly that he isn't, and that either Petty or Hack will quickly show that they're ready to be the starter. I think it's in the best interests of whomever will be starting to get most of the reps beg when TC opens.

12. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Yes he throws at times with just his arm because he can.. The kid can throw the ball 65 yards from his knees. He throws and completes passes from all kinds of arm angles and with awkward footwork, but he gets results. Kid is smart, athletic, powerful arm, makes his reads, and is of good character. We , the Jets are going no where until we get that franchise QB. I agree the OL needs a rebuild badly but that can be done as Mahomes develops.

13. NCJetsfan

I agree with all you've said. You're preaching to the choir.

IMO the Jets need to make the OL a priority in FA. They should seek to have one of the better OLs in the game, not just be satisfied with an ok OL. I agree with Mac's philosophy of not drafting interior OL high, but he needs to fix LT and not depend upon Clady this season. He needs to get insurance for Shell at RT, and not just rely on Ijalana or Qvale. If Mangold isn't back, he may need to draft a center higher. Right now we need to protect whomever is our starting QB. If he wants to try to build OLs more cheaply in the future fine, but it's been ignored too long and is at a critical stage now, so he can't or shouldn't be content to sit back and build one slowly over several years.

njjets93 likes this.
  14. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Bomber I couldn't disagree more about the combines for QBs . Its not about how much they bench or how fast they run the 40 in, its about evaluating their arm, whether they can make the sideline pass, the deep ball, how accurate they are, do they have touch when needed. head, overall athletic abilities, Its also very much about whats between the ears. Other things considered are mechanics, character, and health.

Bomber every year there are very successful college QBs even Heisman trophy winners that never make to the NFL. The GMs have to project those game traits using combine results.

15. ColoradoContrails

1000%

16. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

NC we agree OL is also a priority. Look what a couple of good drafts did for Dallas.. It also helped Prescott and Elliott make a very big impact in their rookie campaigns. There are many many other examples. Going back in time, the year the Jets drafted Mangold and Bradshaw in the first round saw one of the Jets biggest turnarounds in their play.

17. ColoradoContrails

Agreed. They need to upgrade the OL. I see this as being done via FA and the draft, but it's not going to become All-Pro at all positions in one off season. If they can find an upgrade at LT in FA, then find a guard/RT in the draft, I'd say they've made significant progress.

So what that means to me is that they could use their 1st pick on Mahomes; second pick on a pass rusher or two-way TE, third pick look for that OL. But if say Ramczyk or an equivalent OL, were there in the 2nd round, I would forego the pass rusher/TE for him.

Passing over Fournette (pun sort of intended;)) for Mahomes is a tough call, but a FQB outweighs all else, and they could find a pretty good RB later since this draft is deep in that position. I would also be looking to pick up a S/CB/WR in FA since I don't think they can upgrade all these spots in the draft.

18. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Have to disagree - If the combine is so important in the things you pointed out then Smith, Sanchez should be NFL starting QB's. Where did the Jets go wrong?

Maybe that's the problem these days in finding a starter. everyone thinks a QB has to throw a ball 100 yards to be great

#138 BomberJet, Feb 13, 2017
  19. ColoradoContrails

While measureables are important, they've taken on too big a role IMO. I think intangibles are under-rated. Teams that rely on numbers to tell them what their heart and gut knows - or worse, are in opposition to their heart and gut - are teams who flounder. And this is especially true for the skill positions. The defensive positions are more easliy measured because on defense you're relying on measureable qualities: speed, strength, agility and how well these combine to break up a play. That is, you don't have to "complete" a play, you simply have to disrupt it to be successful. OTH, a skill player has to complete the play, they can't just get "close enough" to catching it, or finding a hole, or completing a pass, they have to actually do those things, and the slightest miscue can make the difference. Hence, in college where the talent is lower and more spread apart, or in the Combines where there isn't game-level pressure, a skill position player can look great according to all the measureables. But in a game, that little bit of difference between the great and the mediocre that can't be quantified by numbers shows through.

This is why, I think, that teams lean towards drafting "D" - it's easier to have success than in drafting skill position players - not to mention that skill position players often cost more, so the stakes are higher.

And I'm not saying that playing "D" is easy, or that defensive players are chopped liver...I'm just saying it's easier to quantify them.

BomberJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I can see the boom potential but I have a hard time seeing the bust. Please elaborate on why he has such a high bust potential compared to the other prospects in this class. Is there a secret cocaine problem you know about?