Pat Mahomes

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Jan 4, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're concerns put you in the majority NC, but I have to say, the player Mahomes reminds me of is John Elway (another baseball star). Not that they played exactly the same way, but both have strong arms, both could run when they had to, both took big chances. And elway struggled badly in the beginning, but WOW! wouldn't you have loved to have had him on the Jets? I thin Mahomes could be that guy for them. Of course he could flame out, but his physical tools, and his intangibles are FQB-level, and isn't that what the Jets need?

So many people are saying they should wait until next year's "bonanza" QB class, but first of all there is NO guarantee the Jets get a high enough pick to get one of these "sure things". Second, who says they're "sure things"? So much can happen in a year, starting with serious injuries. If they have a chance to get their future FQB now they have to take him. Whether that's Watson or Mahomes, they have to pounce. I think Watson could be more successful sooner than Mahomes, but I think Mahomes will be more successful over his career.

As they say: "Go big, or go home". Or maybe it should be: "Go Mahomes or go home".:)

njjets93 likes this.
  2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I'm with you man. For those that are apprehensive about drafting him with the 6th overall pick because of how other people rate him just go back and read that Brett Favre article posted earlier. The Jets had Favre rated as the best player in the entire draft and would have drafted him with their 8th overall pick had they not forfeit it by drafting Rob Moore in the Supplemental draft. Since Brett slipped to the 2nd round, they, apparently, were the only team to think he was worthy of a first round pick. It's just classic Jets that they could not leap frog Atlanta despite desperately trying and ended seeing Brett get picked right before their pick. As long as his head on straight and I think/hope it is, I don't see him being a bust. There's just too much natural ability there. Brett's head was not early on, that's why he was on his way towards being a bust before Green Bay traded for him. What the team who picks up Mahomes should guard against is failing to develop his full potential. That's where having the right coaching staff comes in.

#102 legler82, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

No Johnny Manziel here. In Dec. Mahomes was named Big XII Scholar Athlete of the Year.

4. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Todd McShay (who's opinion I trust with QB's) said he wouldn't draft Mahomes until the 4th round. Todd actually played the position and mentioned that his footwork is high school level. Kiper on the other hand was rather bullish on Mahomes.

Mahomes might be more of a YouTube sensation than anything similar to Josh Freeman.

5. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

JT you may be right but I have also seen many a comparison to Stafford and Favre on the internet. Do we pass up on a possible Favre, a chance to have a franchise QB. A franchise QB for the first time in forever, or do we continue the cycle of trash. We have to take chances until we hit on that guy. Are you ready for a season of Hack and Petty at QB? Maybe a recycled Cutler, or Glennon? LOl please no.

My humble opinion is that McShay is a network created celeb who knows jack shit. I doubt if McShay has ever seen Mahomes play. Wasn't he a big Goff guy? In an April 2016 mock he made his selections based of his talent board. McShay did not have Dak Prescott in the top three rounds. He had Brissett, Hackenburg , Cook and Lynch all rated higher. He wasn't alone in that analysis though.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...16-notable-picks-from-espn-gurus-3-round-mock

Lets see what develops in the combine. As brother Jet fans we can only hope and pray that someday we get lucky in the draft.

#105 njjets93, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  6. ColoradoContrails

My sentiments exactly!

But sadly, I think Woody, Macc, and Bowles - plus a majority of the fan base - want to play it "safe", take the "sure" thing, a CB or S, or DE, OLB. What do all these have in common? They're "D" positions! But after spending so much on defense for the past ten years and getting nowhere, isn't it time to try a new approach? But I doubt they will because they're nuts. As Einstein said: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result".

Let's break the cycle of insanity!

njjets93 likes this.
  7. legler82

There 2 camps with regards to QBs. Those who place a heavy emphasis on fundamentals and mechanics vs those that place a heavy emphasis on talent. The former will rate guys like Peterman and Webb higher than their latter counterparts while the latter would rate guys like Mahomes and Evans higher than their former counterparts. I'm obviously a member of the latter group.

njjets93 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

and once again Webb and Mayfield both transferred from TT because they could not bump Mahomes as the starter.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Haven't posted in this thread in a while, good to see how many of you are coming around. Let's go get our guy.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  10. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

Not knowing anything about QB development, I'm on board drafting this kid in the first. His upside is crazy.

11. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I wish we were in better position to draft to this kid, were vulnerable and id give anything to have that Hack pick and have it in position to use in this draft. I don't know what Mac was thinking but all would be forgiven if he somehow got Hooker and Mahomes in the same draft. I wish we really knew behind the scenes how the Jets really fell about Hack now but we won't really know come draft night. Im almost in favor of giving up our 3rd rounder because i don't see any way possible he falls out of Round 1 now. And depending on the combine i wouldn't be surprised at all if he's the 1st QB chosen. All these Derek Carr comparisons Carr should have never made it to Day 2 and he'd be the 1st guy chosen in the draft ahead of he teammate Khalil Mack because he's a stud and until you have a QB you have nothing.

12. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

I don't think they take a QB at 6 most likely, but I wouldn't be surprised if they traded back into the first round if one of the Quaterbacks fell.

cgrec and legler82 like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

Well, if they don't take one at #6, I cant see them giving up anything to move back up int round 1. If they like one of the QBs I think they'll take him 1st pick. If not, I don't see a QB for them in this draft.

legler82 likes this.
  14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I've seen a lot of Derek Carr comparisons or similarities in here. Carr is one who throws off his back foot or isn't exactly throwing with a perfect base but normally he has good mechanics. PM mechanics are a bit messier so he's gonna need some work in that aspect. I love him as a prospect though

15. ColoradoContrails

Something that hasn't really hasn't been talked about or highlighted about Mahomes is that he was a successful pitcher. Why does that matter? Because guys who have pitched for most of their life have a well-developed muscle sense of accuracy. I think that's why he can have his "mechanics" all screwy, throwing off his back foot, on the run, from his knees, and he still throws strikes - literally. This is what separates him from the pack IMO.

Nesquik likes this.
  16. legler82

17. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

If he falls anywhere pass 22-25 you start making calls to trade back up.. start by offering future picks. Keep Mo and Rich if you can.

18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I am all for drafting a QB. but without an OL in front to protect you are putting the cart before the horse...

So imo we trade down get tons of picks.... for Mahomes and an OL

No one is taking this kid in the early rounds so whats the panic?? He is a project QB ....SMH

19. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

This years o line class is pretty weak. Jets best suited addressing o-line through free agency unfortunately. As for trading down, we could certainly do that to acquire more picks but at 6 there will be a few can't miss prospects that may be can't miss prospects. It will be interesting to see which way Macc decides to go. We've gone defense for 8 straight 1st round picks, think we should buck that trend this year and go offense.

NYJetsO12 likes this.