Parsing Jamal Adams

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by twown, Nov 13, 2018.

1. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Adams said last offseason it seemed as if "everybody wanted to do the bare minimum."

Yesterday he said: "... things have not changed,. Obviously we're still losing and I'm not saying that we have guys like that in the locker room. But at the same time it's not changing, it hasn't changed and we've been losing."

He also said: "T-Bowles is not the problem."

questions:

Is Adams just salty about a bad team that's losing, or is he calling out a legitimate locker room problem? Does he understand the difference?

Is he defending his coach (and seemingly pointing the finger at teammates) simply because he doesn't want to call out individuals?

Does Adams truly believe a head coach can be blameless when a team's backward attitude carries across multiple seasons?

Yeah, yeah, "Who cares?! Bowles is gone next year!" I realize that. I care. Jamal Adams is the second face of the franchise, and a very compelling character. But is there any real substance to what he's saying, or is he just a frustrated young man spouting cliches?

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Adams is the only guy out there trying so I am riding with Adams. He's also not going to call out a specific player or coach to the press.

Jets_Grinch, stinkyB and jetfan59 like this.
  3. twown

twown Well-Known Member

This is what we hear when teams are losing. "There's no effort! No fire!"

Seems like a lazy explanation to me, but I will admit that I avoided watching the Bills game.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. He said that the team only prepared for Josh Allen being the starter & had no tape on Barkely. This is like the sequel to the Mayfield disaster when the team had only prepared for Taylor.

This is a common theme w Bowles gameplans.There is no big picture or sense of the overall landscape around them.We all saw the injury updates & whispers coming out of Buffalo all week..did it seem like it was leaning toward Allen?Sure but was it even close to a definite?Absolutely not. How do you not have an open ended gameplan that accounts or at least has a plan for any one of the 4 garbage QBs the Bills were trotting out there? How stubborn & short sighted could a CS be?!

This is fireable in & of itself.Coaches are paid to prepare for all the possibilities on a week to week basis w contingencies in place along the way..we have direct evidence suggesting this doesnt come close to happening & it clearly is effecting results on gameday!

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I watched maybe about 10-15 mins of the game. He did look like a man alone out there in that very little amount of time I watched the game.

6. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

to be fair, Barkely only joined the Bills 12 days before and hadn't played a proper game since 2016 - hard to see what tape or preparation they could have done - the fact that they failed to stop a 4th string QB with 12 days to get to know the offense looking like Joe Montana is something else entirely.

westiedog1 and twown like this.
  7. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Agreed. It's easy to say no effort, when in reality they just sucked really bad. It's just a way to avoid real analysis when angry.

8. Its not even so much not prepping for Barkely as it was having tunnel vision prepping for Allen & as usual having no contingency

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Adams, appearing in his weekly paid spot on WFAN's "Carlin, Maggie & Bart Show," was asked whether his old comments about the 2017 Jets could describe this season. In a Bleacher Report story posted in August, he said that last year's team was used to losing and that some players did the bare minimum.

"Honestly, I could sit here and sugarcoat everything, but things have not changed," Adams said. "Obviously, we're still losing. I'm not saying we have guys like that in our locker room, but at the same time, it's not changing. It hasn't changed. We're still losing.

"At the end of the day, we're going to get it fixed. The sun will shine."

The Jets (3-7) have lost four in a row, putting coach Todd Bowles on the hot seat. They finished 5-11 last season, which was Adams' rookie year.

While Adams reiterated his support for Bowles, who he insisted isn't the problem, his remarks certainly won't help the coach's cause.

Bowles is under heavy scrutiny after a 41-10 loss to the Buffalo Bills. Afterward, cornerback Morris Claiborne said the team "laid down."

Adams was asked whether the team quit.

"That's something I can't answer," he said. "All I can control is what I can control for myself. I know damn well I didn't quit."

Adams contradicted himself, adding: "Just know one thing: As long as I'm on the team, I will never let that happen, and I sure won't quit."

Adams, a team captain, said he pulled aside players at halftime.

"Definitely, some words were said," he said. "You can only say so much."

Adams said "no one came to play" and that the sideline lacked energy during the game. He also said the Jets prepared to face quarterback Josh Allen, who wound up sitting out for the fourth straight game with an elbow injury. That seems odd, considering Allen was practicing only on a limited basis.

The Bills ended up starting Matt Barkley, whom they had signed only 10 days earlier. In his first action in two years, he passed for 232 yards and two touchdowns.

"We obviously planned for Josh Allen to come in there," Adams said. "We thought he was going to play. Obviously, he didn't play. Obviously, we didn't have a lot of film on Barkley."

Adams made similar comments after a Week 3 loss to the Cleveland Browns, saying they weren't prepared for Baker Mayfield when he came off the bench.

Heading into the bye week, Adams said he needs a respite because he's "frustrated" and "not happy" about the season.

"I almost forgot what it feels like [to win]," he said. "And I'm a winner."

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Barkley and Allen are two very different QBs. Barkley is a West Coast offense pocket passer, and Allen is a mobile gunslinger who struggles with accuracy. So it isn't too hard to have two gameplans ready. I'm not a coach, and I still know that.

KurtTheJetsFan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Reports are that at halftime of the Bills game. The one giving everyone a speech wasn’t Bowles. It was Jamal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Translation of Adams comment: "The team needs a change from the as--holes coaching us They don't have us prepared ..we are own out there..and boy does this suck"

Jets have zero motivation imo

13. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

again, to be fair, the jets have struggled to come up with game plans for the last 4 years so a bit harsh to expect them to come up with 2 in a week or so

stinkyB likes this.
  14. twown

twown Well-Known Member

If that's what he means, but he's going to add that "T-Bowles is not the problem," then what the hell's the point of opening your mouth?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. ChrebetJet80

ChrebetJet80 New Member

“So if nothing is changing but we are still losing. But we don’t have guys like that in the locker room and T Bowles isn’t the problem”... then just what F*ck is the problem. Adams is an outstanding player but is talking out of both sides of his mouth. After Sunday everyone there is a damn problem. And the “ we didn’t prepare for Barkley, mayfield comments... here is an idea.. prepare as if you are facing Brady or Rodgers every F*cking week and you should be covered.. for the last 25 years I am so disgusted with this shit organization I love so much!!!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I can't remember a loss like that when the whole team just looked lifeless and checked out. CBS commented on it, that 100 percent did it in for Bowles

I feel bad for Jamal.

Harpua and stinkyB like this.
  17. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Adams is the leader of the defense.

Let’s get him a pass rush end next year and an offense and he’ll become an All Pro.

Harpua likes this.
  18. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I listened to his whole interview...He made it seem like there are quite a few players on the team who just don’t care basically...this was the main theme

Although he said Bowles isn’t the problem he didn’t really stick up for him much more than that throughout the interview

Bottom line is we need a new fresh coaching staff and obviously some upgrades in player personnel. Doesn’t take a genius to come to this conclusion based off of the play on the field

twown likes this.
  19. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Real estate agent: two and a half bathrooms.

Client: what’s that mean?

Agent: two showers but three T-Bowles.

20. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Adams has had enough of this inept semi-pro offense. Not that the defense is championship caliber, but this inept offense is very demoralizing and toxic for the rest of the team.