Option declined on DT Mike Pennel's contract

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Feb 19, 2019.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Ah, I didn't realize McLendon was a FA.
    At 33, do you think he's going to be able to cash in tho?

I think the DL we should be targeting are versatile DL that can play a number of positions/techniques up front.
    Williams likes to run a lot of hybrid stuff, and mixing up his fronts within the game.
    That tends to work best if the offense cannot tell the D front you will play simply based on the D personnel on the field.
    Gotta keep them guessing.

2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

We are going to need so many free agents that our next compensatory pick will be in 2074.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We need flowers.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Another bites the dust! Two key special teamers released today. Odd.

5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Nope. The Bills should be signing him as soon as it goes official.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I heard that Quinnen to the Jets is a done deal. :mad:

7. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Making the most recent cuts on overthecap.com, it brings the cap room to just a hair under $106M with 37 players under contract. If they didn't make one more cut, that leaves them with having to bring in another 16 players to get to 53. Figure all 6 draft picks (if no trades are made) make the team and maybe figure 4 draft free agents. Thats 47 players. That means bringing in 8 FAs including signing some of our own FAs.

BUT......if you look at the list of 37 players under contract, at least 10 of them to me have no shot at making the final 53.....many of them are probably FAs signed to futures after the season.

8. FJF

Man, 4 years in and mac has shit to show for it. It’s going to take a hell of a free agency and draft to put this team in position to compete in the next 3 years.

Red Menace, Harpua and tomdeb like this.
  9. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree. It's a shame that we only have about 25-28 real players on this roster that are worth a damn. How he made it another season still blows my mind. Thats what scares me so much about this offseason. If he does what he's done the last 4 years, this offseason could go from the most promising to the offseason that completely wastes the prime/cheap years of our potential franchise QB.

Very scary to think about really....

10. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Any by comparison, the Colts have $107M under the cap and 59 guys signed under contract. And that includes paying their franchise QB franchise QB money and 2 All Pros as rookies.

11. FJF

And an extra high 2nd rd pick plus good weapons around Luck. They are in prime position to make a run at the patriots

88toon likes this.
  12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Ballard really turned their fortunes around and nailed the draft last year. I wish I could feel confident in Macc doing the same.

Red Menace and FJF like this.
  13. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Yeah and as mentioned by FJF, did so my picking up the second pick of the 2nd round this year which gives them extra prime time draft capital to get creative this year. I have ZERO faith in Mac being able to pull something like that off for us.

tomdeb likes this.
  14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Ballard's an excellent GM imo, but it's also easier to look good with all those picks to work with.

Mac did what he needed to do, and landed an excellent QB prospect in the process.
    With the QB position solidified, hopefully we can return the favor to some other team who wants to move up for a bunch of picks.
    Too bad Quentin Nelson is not in this draft tho :(

Noam likes this.
  15. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

You still have to pick the right players. Idzik had 12 picks and might as well have picked names out of a hat. It's one thing to use your picks to draft some decent players, it's another to draft 2 all Pro Rookies. Thats a Grand Slam regardless of how many picks you have at your disposal.

As for trading back, let's pray these QBs light up the combine and pro days and create some buzz for the draft for some teams to trade up. Best case scenario (which is a complete pipe dream) is a trade down a few spots (like 6) to the Giants and get some other desperate team to trade up again. Two trade downs could set this team up to dominate the division for a decade. Again, I know it's probably a long shot to have one trade down let alone two, but one can dream......

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I believe the OL will get a makeover on the interior in FA. There's no blue chip prospect this year, but there could be many in 2020.
    Yes, he did the right thing by moving up to get a good QB prospect. But can he do the reverse this year and get more draft capital this year and next? Also can he hit on more round 2-4 picks? Remains to be seen.

Noam likes this.
  17. FJF

Mac gets his probs for doing what he had to to land Sam but the cupboard shouldn’t be this bare after 4 years of drafts and free agents.

Red Menace, Harpua and HomeoftheJets like this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

How is that possible? The Jets have 22 less players than the Colts under contract, paying Darnold a rookie deal while Luck makes $25 million a year, yet have basically the same amount of cap space right now? That really makes Maccagnan look bad. Yikes........

Harpua likes this.
  19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why the Bills? Do they know something the other 31 teams don't?

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Probs to Mac.