One Year Away?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreenInTheBowl, Oct 28, 2018.

1. GreenInTheBowl

From every football analyst and radio host I hear the same sentiment over and over: "This team is just a year away from being real contenders.." Well what fucking universe are these people living in?

The O and defensive lines are below average. No standout receiver, the closest thing we have Enunwa can't stay on the field. Herndon has the potential to become an average tight end at best. Crowell is not our long term answer at running back and Powell, already 30, will never be the same after the neck injury. Our starting center hasn't mastered the shotgun snap.

If our young safeties can stay healthy they'll be good. Don't trust any of our corners. Williamson seems solid, Lee is still a question mark. OLBs and D line cannot generate any pass rush whatsoever.

Parlayed with all of this sub-par talent is an overarching lack of discipline. Blown assignments left and right and oh the penalties. A pass interference or a hold I can live with now and then, but these pre-snap penalties are inexcusable, at any level. Elementary shit we're talking here..

The point is we have far more than just a few holes to fill on this roster. Yea we may have found our franchise QB, but frankly I just don't see any solid foundation that this team can build on, let alone in one year.

tomdeb, Cman68 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

It really feels like the more I watch this team play...the more I realize how many holes they have.

Nothing is stellar. Not even our DL can stop the run or get enough pass rush.

We need a complete overhaul with WR, OL, RB, LB, DT, Edge Rush, and CB.

I mean...everything needs an upgrade.

tomdeb and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Get a real GM and coach and watch how quickly we'd turn it around. Decent next year and contenders by 2020. Not that I'm getting my hopes up here.

4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

team has oceans of holes starting with the coach and the GM

Peebag, tomdeb and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Here’s the thing, upgrade the edge rusher and the interior line will improve,cb will improve also.
    Upgrade the WRs and make the opposing d play more honest and the run game will improve improve.
    It’s not that there are holes every,it’s that the holes we have are so glaring they hold back the rest of the team.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Not that it's going to happen, but add a stud LT and pass rusher, a Center, and a good WR/RB, and new CS and they would be in good shape - not SB ready but getting there.

jetstopgun, mrjet80 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

GTFOH with that logic shit

Get drunk and bitch!

8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yep
    Nature of the league. A couple of blue chippers can make the difference for a lot of the teams. And it makes the good players you have better and the team and everybody looks better.

Now, it's up to Mac to draft one and sign one or two. At least.

mrjet80 and FJF like this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We have holes at almost every important position(LT, C, Edge Rusher, CB, big play threat on O). Not sure if they can all be addressed in one offseason, but the first 4 can be.

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. FJF

Sorry.
    Fire everyone!

NYJFOREVER, stinkyB and donkey like this.
  11. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

Yeah but the problem with signing good FAs is that we suck and nobody wants to sign with us unless we overpay.

12. FJF

It’s free agency. No one is going anywhere without being over payed.

13. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Always thought that line of thinking was overrated by fans.

Follow the money. Bottom line with just about all of the players. It's what the league is about.

Mac has stuck to his limits in the past, but I could easily seem him go for the guy he thinks could make a big difference

14. GreenInTheBowl

These glaring holes we have are in the most impactful positions on the field (LT,C, pass rusher), the toughest commodities to come by in the league. Unless we bring in some true studs at these spots, i can't see any slight upgrades covering up other deficiencies. I think its more an overall lack of talent and that starts with years of poor drafting

15. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Teams can change a lot in 1 year. The difference is that it isn’t sustainable to build your entire team in free agency. We have some core players which hopefully we add even more in the upcoming draft. We have a ton of money next year to add a lot in the free agency if we want. I’d rather them take a moderate approach to free agency and fill holes and perhaps 1-2 big name players on offense. Nevertheless, I don’t think now is the time to complain about this when we’re missing 3 receivers and 2 runningbacks to injury.

stinkyB, Mogriffjr and Walt White like this.
  16. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Even if we effectively address half those needs we will be in good shape for next year. Very few teams have no weaknesses.

mrjet80 likes this.
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well there have it my friends ...three years of Magic Mike at the controls..an Angel from heaven had to drop SD in his lap but he went after a QB WAY TOO LATE

WHAT IF DRAFTED MAHOMES??? Call my post BS if you like ...pers I think the Football Gods hooked Pat M with the right CS..but JUST saying...TONS Of missed opportunities ...OH WAIT lets get over draft on D for Shoddy Toddys great D he's building..LMAO

The Johnson brothers have a collective IQ of 100 but they even MUST see they will lose big in fan base with their POOR decisions

18. GreenInTheBowl

Who do you see as the core players on this team? We might have one or two on the defensive side but offensively there's really not much to hang your hat on. The core of every team starts with the O & defensive lines IMO and do we really have any standouts on either side??

19. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Well I would say Adams, Maye, Williams, Darnold, and maybe Q for now however there are a lot of borderline core players who in my opinion need complimental players in their respective positions to bring a better level of play . For instance Jordan Jenkins - how much better would he be with a competent pass rusher opposite him at the other OLB spot ? How about Brandon Shell? What if the Jets had a good young LT , maybe a pro bowler on the other side ? Crowell ? How about if he came in for the tough yards while we had an every down RB that struck fear in the opposing defense ? Will those three players ever be pro bowlers ? No . But they can be productive starters . So what you’re saying is right . The Jets need to find those pro bowlers / position leaders to elevate the play of the rest of the team and those are just examples of course ....I’m just getting tired of the same crap every year .

ColoradoContrails and Mogriffjr like this.
  20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Glad there's someone who has their head on straight around these parts.

Quinnenthebeast likes this.