OFFSEASON PLAN- FAs and Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jhsensation10, Mar 21, 2006.

1. jhsensation10

jhsensation10 Member

ok..now that we have traded abraham away for the #29th overall pick, it shows that we are going to use the 3-4 defensive scheme.. this means no super mario especially with the recent signing of von oelhoffen at DE.. what we need is a playmaking LB and cover CB.. we should address this in FA so it will allow us to save our draft picks.. with Lavar Arrington and Andre Dyson.. both players are young, and will help us have a dominant defense if we can get them at the right price.. we should use the FA for defense and the draft for offense..

RE-von oelhoffen
    DT-robertson
    LE-ellis
    LOLB-arrington
    MLB-vilma
    MLB-hobson
    ROLB-barton
    CB1-miller
    CB2-dyson
    CB3-barrett
    FS-coleman
    SS-rhodes

now for the draft, we see that we are NOT getting a QB this year considering we just restructured pennington, and traded for ramsey.. so we need to address other areas such as RB, OL, and TE.. we should TRADE DOWN because it saves money that we would be using to get the FAs (arrington, dyson, and runyan) and it allows us to stockpile picks.. we should trade out #4 for the #9 and #41 picks and take vernon davis there.. then we should use our #36 and #41 and trade up to #15.. this is even on the draft pick chart, http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pick_value_chart.htm , and if we needed to we can throw in a 5th rounder.. we need to take deangelo williams at #15.. with davis and williams, our offense will be on the way to becoming unstoppable.. both a playmaking TE and RB is what we need to compensate for our mediocre QB.. then we take mangold at #29.. if we can do this as well as pick up runyan in FA, our team may be playoff bound next season and definitely the seasons to come!!!

QB-pennington/ramsey
    RB-martin/williams
    FB-askew
    WR1-coles
    WR2-mccareins
    WR3-cotchery/dwight
    TE-davis
    LT-jones
    LG-kendall
    C-mangold
    RG-moore
    RT-runyan

i know that these moves would be bold, but i dont see it being out of the ordinary.. we can definitely trade down easily since there will be teams eyeing certain playmakers.. our trading up to ~#15 may be difficult but still feasible for some teams that want to stockpile high 2nd round picks.. as for the FAs, we just need to become really aggressive and offer them fair contracts with high incentives.. if this all happens, i will be really happy, and this will be the most successful offseason yet.. which isnt too much of a surprise considering herm and bradway are both gone.. thank god..

2. 1028

1028 Active Member

Sheesh...Arrington, Dyson, AND Runyan???

Build through the draft

3. TeamJets2K6

TeamJets2K6 New Member

Injury prone and cannot play in a system..definitely not a mangini type

the others:up:

4. californiajet

californiajet Member

we are close to 20 million under the cap so we COULD afford these players. Still I would shy away from arrington, just seems like a "me" guy. Dyson and runyan would both be excellent pick ups.

#4: AJ Hawk
    #29: Mangold
    #35: Manny Lawson
    3rd: Jerious Norwood

rest of the draft for depth, Good things

5. jhsensation10

jhsensation10 Member

the thing with drafting aj hawk is that we could get the same kind of player with arrington.. we dont need to use our #4 overall pick to draft a OLB.. we can use that to trade down to get a ridiculous TE and have a 2nd to trade up for d. williams... so why waste it during the draft when we can just get it for "free" in FA... dyson and runyan should be definites... but i think we should get davis and williams and start building the foundation to our offense.. we saw the chargers become successful with a dominant RB and TE and to make up for the mediocre QB.. why shouldnt we try it?? until next year where we may be able to get another solid QB.. (quinn??)

#5 jhsensation10, Mar 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2005
  6. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

I agree with some of this.

We will not get Arrington, and we wont trade up to #15. I agree with trading down to #9 and getting Vernon Davis. But if Cutler is available at 9, i see the Jets taking him.
    I would love Andre Dyson, hes 27 and pretty good - better than Barrett
    I agree with Mangold at 29, UNLESS Katnik shows a lot of promise in the stuff the team has before the draft. If we decide to go with Katnik, than the best OG or RT

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

nice post, but where does Strait come into play. I think the kid deserves a shot (along with cotchery)

8. JETSimpala

JETSimpala New Member

Personally, the Runyan signing isn't really appealing to me. Sure he can play, but he's on the downside of his career.

9. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

eww andre dyson is garbage good in madden but sucks in real life he has no cover skills

10. jhsensation10

jhsensation10 Member

ok we should def get runyan.. dyson would be a nice pickup too for some more CB depth.. arrington is a question mark?? we could get manny lawson to fill in the OLB need.. so trade down to get davis who is a joke.. just look at these numbers.. http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9326200 , he will be able to block, catch, score.. no one can stop him.. also look at d. williams at the bottom of the list.. and hes a RB.. getting stats comparable to DLinemen and LBs.. and they are not just work out warriors.. d. williams broke many NCAA records and davis looks like a RB after the catch in his highlights..

#10 jhsensation10, Mar 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2005
  11. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

Nah i would take mario williams he will fit nicely as a lb disguise he will actually be a DE, but be placed as a LB. Offenses will be crushed.

12. jhsensation10

jhsensation10 Member

not gonna happen, we changed to a 3-4 defense.. why would we get rid of abe and then sign williams with our #4th pick?? we wont... we are gonna draft offense and take a step in the right direction..

13. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

^ williams is alot bigger than abraham, stronger and faster. Thats why. They know a pass rusher doesnt come along alot, and mario also plays the run better than abraham. Mangini hasnt said he was switching to a 3-4 yet.

We can draft mangold with our other first or second and do whatever is called for we have plenty of picks.

#13 28rogerblaze51, Mar 22, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  14. jfhjr71

jfhjr71 New Member

I would love to see us sign RUNYAN, (Then we have a quality OT), Draft HAWK @ 4 or trade down a spot or two and draft HAWK if that is possible and draft MANGOLD at 29..I think that would be perfect..Im not sold on LEINART YET!

15. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

Would rather see the Jets sign Ricky Manning (carolina restricted FA .. cost a 3rd if they don't match) than sign Dyson. Manning is a bit on the short side (5'8") but he is a proven gamer who plays bigger than his size. Also young at 25 ... he has started for Carolina as well as played nickle.

16. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Some of you are hot stuff. Where have you read that Arrington even remotely wants to play for the Jets? He'd rather eat paint.

17. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

I'd much rather have Williams.

If we are looking at aging right tackles, why not Larry Allen? I'm sure Nugent would endorse that deal.

18. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

Honestly....what you project scares me a little. Honestly...the secondary looks a little thin. I'm not impressed with Dyson. The receivers corp is mediocre at best. I'd rather make a play for Michael Huff at 9. Or move further down and get Chad Jackson.

I don't think Arrington fits with the Jets because he's more of a free-lancer. I think Mangini wants someone who can be ,disciplined structured and be smart.