Offseason OTAs & Minicamp thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, May 22, 2013.

1. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

yeah i was extremely disappointed in the reporting on todays OTAs.

i care a lot about the QBs, really I do, but I actually care more about how sheldon richardson is playing, how coples is at OLB, how zach rogers and some of the UDFAs are playing, and how the offensive line guys look.

all i got was tweets about sanchez throwing interceptions

2. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

No way Rex ties his year to this crappy Sanchez

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

Worst part about it, Hill said he spent all offseason getting his knee right. That was his whole focus... Im no doctor, but if its swelling now, after all the rehab he supposedly put in, it cant be good news at all.

Hopefully its just precautionary and minor, because we need Holmes, Hill and Kerley 100% through training camp, preseason and the year. If we lose one for significant time, we're fucked.

4. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

That and a "screw you, you're stupid" thread. Maybe there will be some football talk in those other threads then.

5. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

This bothers me, too. He needs to get healthy.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, except there would be a huge thread about QB and then tiny threads about the other positions wondering what is happening with those other positions.

Have you actually read this thread?

7. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Dont sweat it, recovery time is 3-6 monyhs. If its an issue an August...thats a problem.

8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

We need WR's bad...

I think we need to add at least 1 vet receiver.

Here are a few i wouldnt mind:

WR's- Branch, Aromashodu, Doucet, Henderson, Lloyd, Obomanu, Robinson

they would be cheap and worth a shot.

9. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

As much as the QB battle is important, I'd really really really like to start hearing more about the mid to lower round draft picks and the UDFA's and how they are all doing. a good number of the UDFA's won't make the team, but with the roster being as thin as it is talent wise this is one year where the UDFA's and the 6-7th round guys actually have a really good chance to not only stick but possibly in some cases make a real impact on the roster...not saying the UDFA's are great players. But this was one of the deeper middle and late round drafts and a lot of guys who in most drafts would have gone in rounds 3-6 fell to low rounds or to UDFA status, combine that with the thin roster the Jets have and well....a fair number of guys you might not expect to make an impact might on this roster....

Which probably says more about how thin the Jets roster is than how good the UDFA talent is..though there are a couple of guys that are in our UDFA camp that in most drafts would have been 4th or 5th round selections.

10. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I'm late to the thread, but hearing the continued Sanchez slack is A) not surprising, and B) not encouraging.

11. PuMa

PuMa Banned

Looking at the positives... Sheldon looked like a force. that Jarrett kid.. the one who played for the eagles got him a nice pic. i like the D we got put together.. younger,quicker to the ball and they are hungry on EVERY PLAY. now its time for MM to bring his Offensive mind into it... as OTA's leave us and Training camp visits he will have to out smart Rex's D. which will be VERY heard given our O this year.... BUT if he can he will be happy he did because Rexs D is one of the best in the league and if he can do that,teams wont seem so hard to score on in a actual game.

12. 1968jetsfan

Guys who I think have a shot if they shine in OTA. The list is more or less in order of who I think has the best chances

Mike Shanahan TE
    Chris Pantele TE Both of these guys are in my opinion the most likely to make the squad. TE on the Jets
    is EXTREMLY thin. Both these guys could actually make the squad in theory, since they fill two different roles at
    TE, one is a great pass catcher the other a solid blocker with good hands.

Zach Rogers WR
    Mike Edwards CB
    Rontez Miles S
    Troy Davis LB
    Marcus Davis WR
    Ryan Spadola WR
    Alex Dunnachie P (guy has a monster leg and could push out Malone, but he has potential character issues).

WR as far as I'm concerned is wide open after the first 3 of Holmes Kerley and Hill, depending on if the jets
    go with 5 or 6 WR's on their roster 2-3 positions are very open for competion and for one or more of the WR's
    to make the squad. They all have Question marks though, for Rogers it's his size, for M. Davis nad Spadola
    it's their track record, but their size and speed makes them intriguing.

These are the guys I'm really interested in hearing about their OTA's and minicamp, along with our drafted OL players in Winters, Aboushi and Campbell

13. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I read one fairly positive article about Ivory. Don't remember where though.

Edit: I found the article, it was linked on the side bar. Here it is

But, yeah, the vast majority was focused on the QB stuff which is understandable but I would still like to hear about other players. Although, to be fair, a good number of bigger name players weren't participating (i.e. Hill, Holmes, Milliner and maybe others).

14. neid92

neid92 Well-Known Member

I totally agree!!!!!!!!! Start complaining when the pre-season and regular season start!

15. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

we can only hope it really is an open competition, instead of a show with only el taco and smith getting any real reps/shot to win the job.

unless they all get reps with the starters on offense, you can't really do a real eval. the preseason games should tell us something as well.:breakdance:

16. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

Is it me or is there absolute no coverage of OTAs?

17. Hobbes3259

No coverage, unless Sanchez does something stupid, so everyday with no coverage, is one chance less you have of seeing Smith on the foeld after kickoff.

18. Hobbes3259

Yeah...Simms, and Sackelroy need to be getting first team reps, to vie for the third string job.provided some Vet castaway deosnt become available.

19. 1968jetsfan

Given Hobbes track record on pre-season predictions I'd better lay some money down on smith being QB ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

But on topic, I really want to start hearing about the lower draft picks and the UDFA's. Normally I don't pay much attention to UDFA's but this years class of UDFA's is better than most years and the Jets roster is very THIN on depth at a few positions.

20. Megadyptes

Megadyptes New Member

Is there any way to get better coverage of the OTAs for next time?