ODB signs massive extension

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by LF911SC, Aug 27, 2018.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

what off field issues really concern you? I am more concerned with a guy like odells on field issues. injury being first, immaturity being second. his off field stuff as i have stated a hunrdred times makes no difference to me.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yeah it's a risk but if the giants didn't another team would. when your as good as ODB teams will put up with a lot to have you on the field

LF911SC likes this.
  3. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

If I were the Giants, I'd be concerned about that video that came out during the off season with cocaine in it. I'd be concerned about his emotion getting out of control both on and off the field. I'd be slightly concerned about the injury. I'd be concerned about his antics drawing more penalties. I'd be concerned about the immaturity and possible distractions to the team.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to get paid, but I was thinking between 17 and 18m a year. Like SGB said above, his talent does almost outweigh most of those factors. But if he gets suspended at some point all of that is out the window, and mental health issues can cause problems down the road.

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You knew one of them was getting it - either him or OBJ.

LF911SC likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the Giants were celebrating in the locker room like they won the superbowl. We don't have to worry about them winning much in the future

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

That was a strange video

7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Joe Thomas was on Golic and Wingo this morning, and he and Wingo talked about that reaction. They talked about it having to do with Beckham's popularity on the team, but also about the perceived signal that the team is going to "take care" of the veterans the same way they did Beckham, as long as they behave the way he did. I personally think that's ridiculous - the team just tied up $20 million annually in cap space for three years, which in a hard cap league means there's less to go around for everyone else - but that was their take.

They also pointed out that this is really a three-year extension, with $60 million of the guaranteed $65 million paid in the first three years. I don't see how the Giants can compete over those years unless Eli becomes at least as good as he ever was or Davis Webb turns out to be way better than he's shown (which I believe is doubtful for both), but if Beckham screws up they can get out from under him without cap problems after three years.

LF911SC likes this.
  8. LF911SC

Agree totally. Dont see how signing a top flight player to a monster deal doesnt mean that anyone else will be taken care of. Actually as you said, with that cap number the Giants have plenty of reasons why they may not sign other vets to large deals.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I drafted him #5 overall in my fantasy league last year. I won't even consider drafting him this year. The Giants went the other way and signed him to a huge extension. The odds of the Giants getting their money's worth is slim. He is a talented WR, but also comes with a lot of drama. I get the Giants signing him though. He is a star. He sells jerseys. He gets people into seats. And when he is healthy: he is a top WR in the NFL. How many years does Eli have left though? Could have a random QB throwing to him for half of that contract. On the other hand: letting him walk after this year or have him hold out this year would have been worse.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  10. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

well with that kind of contract i wonder if there is a "stand or else" clause buried within.

11. statjeff22

Well, it ain't going to be Davis Webb who is eventually throwing the ball to Beckham, as the Giants just released him. This after he was clearly #2 QB all summer and preseason. What a disastrous pick.

The turnover on the Giants roster is incredible.

12. statjeff22

So OBJ did an interview with Li'l Wayne by his side in which when asked "Are you happy in New York?" answered "Good question ... I love seeing the sunshine all the time. I love LA. I just like that atmosphere. I’m not a fan of the cold" and when asked if the Giants have a problem at quarterback replied "Uhh, I don't know." Shurmur is "absolutely livid" about this.

Yeah, signing this clown to a $95 million contract extension was a greeeaaat idea.

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Yesterday's game really defines my perception of him. He makes some of the sickest catches, and he gets open a lot. But he's always a threat to do something that hurts the team ultimately.

onefanjet and GasedAndConfused like this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

yeah tons of talent but a locker room cancer and not a team guy at all

15. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Please move this response to the Le’ veon Bell thread.

phubbadaman and Red Menace like this.
  16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

He's going to implode at some point. Hey, maybe history repeats itself in the fun dept. Coughlin was a brutal disciplinarian and made us show up on time! Tiki Barber couldn't shut up about the Giants being outcouched! Strahan submarined Coughlin publicly three games before the SB and said fug this guy and fug this chit, I'll be your locker room cancer! That crappy ass baby Jeremy Shockey, "They would be nowhere without me!" - on crutches. I don't know why the Giants get a pass in some folks' memories. F that team with a confetti bomb of penises that they'll have to clean up in The New Dump. No, no, not the underpaid clean up crew that should probably unionize. Are they unionized? Norma Rae!

rohirrim665 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

he can implode all he wants. not our issue thankfully and he's basically uncuttable for the next 3 years

LF911SC likes this.
  18. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

I hate Philadelphia but ODB is my least favorite player in the NFL, I hope the trainwreck continues for the Giants. Not to mention the fact they passed on Darnold will give me more laughs. To hell with the Giants and even more to hell with ODB and players like him who play the game with zero integrity.

19. LF911SC

How many pain in the ass, self centered WRs were winners?

20. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Plaxico Burress won a SB, but overall not many

Santonio Holmes too