NYC Plans to Restrict Big-Size Soda Sales

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, May 31, 2012.

1. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg plans to prohibit the sale of large sodas and other sugary drinks at restaurants and other locations across the five boroughs, sparking intense opposition from the beverage industry and reviving criticism that the mayor is turning the city into a "nanny state."

The mayor is proposing an amendment to the city health code to prohibit food-service establishments from selling sugary drinks in cups or containers larger than 16 ounces, aides to the mayor confirmed late Wednesday night, arguing that sugary drinks have led to rising obesity rates for New Yorkers.

The proposed amendment would prohibit food-service establishments from selling sugary drinks in cups or containers larger than 16 ounces.

The ban would apply to restaurants, mobile food carts, delis and concessions at movie theaters, stadiums or arenas, the administration said. Sixteen ounces is larger than most soda cans but smaller than most soda bottles.

The proposal will be submitted to the Board of Health on June 12, which will mark the beginning of a three-month comment period before a vote. Since the mayor controls all the appointees on the board, the proposal is expected to be approved.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...7192937949800.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_editorsPicks_2

2. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

I read this, what a fucking joke. If people want soda, then drink soda. I am sure this will be quite a problem for beverage companies, this would force them to make new sized bottles? This would be quite itersting.

It feels like our rights keep getting striped away from this prick.

3. MURDR

MURDR Banned

While I don't think they should be able to do that, it doesn't make them a "nanny state", it makes them a "healthier state".

I used to drink a SHITLOAD of soda a day, and as a result I was a major fatass, but now I know better. All the additives they put in there just make you addicted and they make people fat slobs that just make those companies billions.

This man is single-handedly trying to curb fatassism (also known as "obesity"). It's a huge task, but I applaud him for the effort.

4. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

This is gonna piss off movie theaters for sure.

They rape you for 5 bucks, but at least you get a hilariously gigantic drink. You think they're gonna charge only $2-3 for a drink 1/3 the size? No chance.

Also, what about diet soda? Are there going to be large cups reserved for it, or are zero calorie drinks lumped into this garbage?

5. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

Don’t you see this is a violation of our constitutional rights? Soda makes people fat, well cigarettes kill people, let’s ban them as well. Alcohol causes thousands of deaths a year, time to ban that… can’t you see this man is a dictator. This is not Nazi Germany, all this man has to do is not like something and it’s a new law.

6. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

^lol what? Please point out the relevant section of the Constitution or case law...

People really get outraged at the stupidest stuff...If only people put this much effort into getting a better job or making more money...

But it's easier to bitch and moan I guess...

#6 deathstar, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  7. MURDR

MURDR Banned

The first sentence said I don't think he should do that. But yes, I think it would be good to ban cigarettes and alcohol as well. But, if people want to kill themselves off, who am I to question natural selection? Keep it and tax it.

Although, I do believe they should have a "fat tax". Nothing major, but anyone over like 300 pounds would be subject to public humiliation and taxation until they lost the weight.

8. deathstar

On a side note, they should definately have to buy 2 plane seats...

Nothing worse than having a fatass next to you in a seat with their rolls infringing upon your seat...

9. Coach K

Coach K New Member

I thought america was about personal freedoms

even the freedom to consume buckets of sugar liquid.

yeah limiting soda size will get people in better shape. gimme a fuckin break. the same people who order the mega drinks arent hitting the gym anytime soon.

furthermore what about health conscious citizens who feel like treating themselves to a large soda.

and like Soss said you know the movie theaters wont be bringing down the price. so now moviegoers will be smuggling in more shit because they dont want to buy a 6 dollar can of soda?

stuff like this is irritating.

people should be allowed to make their own choices, healthy or unhealthy.

the only big push that made sense was getting rid of trans fats. even that is a band aid though

MOST OF ALL

instead of limiting unhealthy options, how about making healthy options cheaper.

i always hear people putting themselves on a pedestal for the lifestyle choices they make but theres a reason why families shovel fast food into their children.

especially when you can get multiple hamburgers for the price of 1 tomato.

10. MURDR

MURDR Banned

^Seriously. I was only joking about the fat tax (although I think that people should stop thinking it's okay to be fat...it's not), but they SHOULD have to buy 2 plane seats, and we should just raise taxes on sodas and other fattening foods to extremely high rates so people literally cannot afford to be fat.

Fatasses will still be fat, but maybe it might encourage them to eat healthier to change that. Also, we need to once again require gym classes in schools. Elementary, middle, and high school, and even college.

11. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

So, are they also banning the purchase of more than one sugary drink? Because, if I were a sugary drink seller, I'd make the second one half-price as a great big fuck you to government planners.

12. Sundayjack

Now, if people like you would just have a little self control and back your fat fucking face away from the tub of orange drank on your own, we wouldn't have a problem in the first place.

13. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

Ok, I got admit I went a little overboard, it's not relevant.

But why is it "stupid" and why should we NOT be out raged? This man does whatever he wants when he wants. Is that how it works when you're an elected official? And this does not stop at trivial stuff, look what he's done to the public school system in NYC.

And I don't see how this is relevant to people making more money. The man runs NYC like it’s his business, not a city.

14. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

BINGO! or how about buying 2 half price drinks and they put them in 1 cup. I am sure people will find a loophole.

15. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

What a waste of time.

I realize it's beyond NYC's scope, but if we're really interested in having people drink less sugary drinks or fattening foods , how about getting rid of the farm subsidies that make sugary, cheap calories like that so predominant on the market? Corn corn corn... it's all gotta go somewhere.

16. MURDR

MURDR Banned

Um...I did. So, um, yeah.

17. MURDR

MURDR Banned

Oh, contributing even more to obesity in America. How productive...

18. deathstar

McDonalds did this thing a few years ago...

Got rid of the super large extra sized fries due to "outrage"...

Fatasses ended up buying 2 of em...

Businesses should love this, once they stop their fake outrage and think about it, it's good business sense.

In the whole, you do cut down on the amount of crap that people eat since not everyone is going to buy the 2 packets or whatever...Business will make more money since a good portion will buy 2...Means less taxpayer money being spent on them in the long run...

I can see why he is doing it...

#18 deathstar, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  19. Coach K

Coach K New Member

hahaha I'm a big dude, not a fatass. but i know what you mean about the plane seats.

Im just wide shouldered and big in general, but some people get on the plane and im thinking (please keep fucking walking) when theyre approaching my aisle.

i dont think your "fat tax" theory would work. people would become criminals to get their fix. lol. it sounds funny when you read it but you know people are crazy enough to start robbing fast food joints for food instead of whats in the register.

I am however sympathetic to people who dont have the money to consistently support a healthy lifestyle for their family. I think we can all agree most of the healthier options are far more expensive.

I dont know what correlation to make to that but I certainly dont think healthy choices should be so damn expensive that they instantly turn people off to a more health conscious lifestyle.

Yeah as far as required gym classes. I couldnt agree more. the constant "pussyfication" of americas youth is ridiculous.

people are taught "dont be competitive its mean spirited"
    -so people are then happy to settle for mediocrity

then the vanity of pop culture was met with "you dont have to be picture perfect"
    -I agree, but now people are convinced their appearance doesnt matter or to embrace being lazy about their health.

20. Sundayjack

Yes, ban large sugary drinks. That ought'a do it.