No playoff mandate for 2018 - Chris Johnson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jan 2, 2018.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

What good is making that decree now? Do you want them to blow all the cap space and draft picks in getting to 9-7 10-6 maybe a wild card next year? Are you not tired of the wildcard team, disappointing season, bad year cap hell fire everyone rinse and repeat cycle? I know I am.

2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I feel like this is ryan fitzpatrick all over again. Im tired of putting out future in anothers teams outcast. Lets draft our own guy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KurtTheJetsFan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Fitzpatrick couldn't even hold Cousin's jockstrap. I understand the concern behind signing a guy to 5yr 120-150 but Kirk is the real deal.

FJF likes this.
  4. zace

zace Well-Known Member

He is not the real deal and he will falter unless he goes to a super team. What has cousins ever done to illicit this feeling?

5. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

If you sign cousins you need to give him weapons, Barkley becomes a must draft and then you have to go oline and wr in the second round, not a single pick can be used on defense till maybe the 5th Round

dogg likes this.
  6. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

It's only the media and some disgruntled fans that have a mandate and a deadline. The club is moving in the right direction after so many fits and starts. This takes time. Some good free agent signings and another draft or two and they will have top talent ready to compete for a title. I'm really looking forward to the next few years.

FJF likes this.
  7. FJF

Nah, everyone knew fitz was a career back up qb. Cousins is a legit top end starter in this league.

zace likes this.
  8. zace

zace Well-Known Member

This might be the one time we disagree. I think he's a stat padding QB who has never been great under pressure and would be a massive disappointment if people expected him to be a franchise savior. He puts up great numbers because he plays from behind a lot. He forces way too many throws and hits make him extremely shaky.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No one LIKES putting themselves in a corner, but a great leader draws a line in the sand and doesn't move it,,,unless circumstances warrant it. He needs to set the bar high and demand people reach it, and hold them accountable if they don't. Of course if there are valid reasons they fall short, he gets to adjust his expectations, nothing wrong with that. but setting such a wishy washy goal is a recipe for underachieving.

Ralebird, Cman68 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. FJF

See, I look at his numbers and I watch the skins play and I am amazed that he does that with the teams he has been on. Franchise saving? I don’t know, probably not. Best qb we will have a chance at over the next 3 years at least. With out a doubt . I am not going to let perfect stand in the way of being good. Passing on cousins for that mythical draft pick that may or may not exist would be doing just that.

11. FJF

A great leader doesn’t serve any of that up for public consumption either. And again, there is no reason for him to make any declaration today or yesterday. Expectations will be adjusted based on who is or isn’t added to the roster. For him to state there is a playoff mandate at this time is just foolish and those that are angry about are just bitter because there were no firings and they still feel like they are owed their pound of flesh.

12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Im not against getting him for the right price, but he doesnt deserve a top qb payday, he just simply isnt one. Fans will be ready to run him out of here im a year or 2 and we'll be right back where we started. Thats why i think getting him is a fools errand. It shows the jets haven't learned anything.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

Sure a great leader will publicly state it. Steinbrenner did it and he got results. And a sports team is dependent on fan support. Letting those fans know what the expectations are is important. That's not to say you allow the fans to dictate what you'll do, but there is no harm in telling them that you're going to do whatever it takes to give them a winner. As i stated before - and you said above - you can change expectations if warranted, but at least set the bar high. As Henry Ford said ""Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right". Meaning if you don't say "We're going to the playoffs next year" you probably won't.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Cousins>>>>>Fools Gold

Don't posters see NFL results??? He lost 8 games to better teams this year ...only beat the Rams ...same strength of sched as Jets...relatively same talent ...but Nobody wants to tarnish Cousins and his "stats" against bad teams

Speaking of pretty bad teams the Giants taught him a lesson last Sun...lol

He needs perfection on offense and defense surrounding him like in Pitt (Big Ben retires) or Den ...that's where he goes...you guys watch

#74 NYJetsO12, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    KurtTheJetsFan and zace like this.
  15. zace

zace Well-Known Member

That's exactly where he's going, Denver. And let them do it. They're idiots of they do. Ive seen tons of him, all we get in South jersey is nfc east games, so I'm very familiar with their teams. He's never done anything to make me think he's a franchise qb. I've said this for years. He had the pleasure is being better than rg3, thats about it.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Winning is a process, we are a rebuilding team. You want them to basically ignore that and jump the gun so you can feel better. A rebuild takes more than one season, were only one season in.

FJF likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

You're misinterpreting what I said. Stating that the playoffs are the goal doesn't short circuit anything. What it does is push everyone towards that goal. If you don't make it, you analyze why and if it was the failure of certain people - coaches or players - you hold them accountable. That's not "jumping the gun", that's demanding accountability.

KurtTheJetsFan and Cman68 like this.
  18. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, we have no choice but to give this a 'wait and see' approach for the 2018 season. I'm not on the ownership bandwagon for sure, as I have harped many times on the way they set themselves up this season for making Bowles insecure in his job which forced him to play McCown which made this season a total waste evaluating the QB position.

They have no excuses now - a $100M cap space ; A high draft pick, and a gluttony of excellent FA's are to be available to them at there beckon and call. This , no doubt, will make 2018 one the the most interesting off seasons since Bill Parcells brought in curtis Martin and Testaverde.

19. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I dont disagree about the accountability part, but this team might not be playoff ready next season. So to say playoffs or bust makes no sense. Its setting unrealistic expectations that wont be met and then your changing parts again. Not to mention the poor decisions that come with the pressute of making this a payoff foater.....ie bad contracts.

FJF likes this.
  20. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Also Kevin Mawae