No playmakers, bad OL, no QB, terrible HC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Aug 8, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets haven't had a quality draft like that since 2000. I particularly liked Jenkins out of college, but the guys you mentioned have a lot to prove. Mac has yet to accomplish this 2-3 good players per draft. We will see in due time if these players develop.

FJF likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Same way you can't pass judgement on his picks yet because it's too soon, same could be said for him. I never said he was good or bad, i said you have to give him a chance to see his plan through and that changing GMs and head coaches every 3 years is a recipe to never be good

3. GasedAndConfused

In 2000 we had 4 1st round picks. not really fair. plus only 1 of those picks had a good jet career. abe was gone after his rookie deal expired (franchise and trade) chad set the franchise back 5 years by getting hurt, becht was a bust. only ellis really wound up being a good pick out of those. We also got coles in the 3rd who was a steal due to falling in the draft over personal issues. but again he didn't last long, walked for more money then we traded our 1st round WR (moss) to get him back. hayes, scott and seals were busts. so overall out of that entire draft we got 1 player that was good and remained a jet for their prime years.

4. 101GangGreen101

Chad helped the Jets become relevant, you must be kidding me. His injuries were a damn shame too because in his day, he was the best Jets QB I've ever seen play. Ownership set this franchise back. We didn't do a great job of investing in the offensive line. Seems like each time we have a QB with some talent, we mismanage the offensive line. Pennington, O'Brien, Sanchez (say what you want, but 2011 Mark accounted for over 30 TDs, but was destroyed by Ngata and Von Miller).

FJF likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

I agree he could have been great had it not been for injuries. but the hard truth was he killed us. he was on fire in 2002. earned a big contract and then couldn't stay healthy. made us miss out on signing brees and put us in cap hell with no QB. it wasn't his fault or the GMs just typical bad luck jets. Pennington had a great o-line and a great RB too. jets o-line has been really good for a while now sans the last 2 seasons. brick and mangold were all pro since day 1. before mangold we had mawae. we had the best center in football for over a decade between those 2. we just never had the WBs or WRs. jets have always had a good run game in the 2000s

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I agree, but if his drafts don't start looking up he is not getting the 3-4 more years you and the op think he should get. No one is waiting 6-7 years for him to rebuild. Mac's seat will start getting warm next year if his picks don't start bearing fruit

BacktoQueens and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

If he doesn't hit on Hack or a QB from next year's draft, I could see him being gone in 3 yrs. Unless he drops a load of cash on Cousins door [which won't happen cause the 49ers are more attractive].

FJF likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LZ?? Who in the world is that?

You hope Simon steps up? He has already stepped up. He was a 7th round pick for crying out loud, and is pushing McLendon for the starting job and is a solid part of the rotation. He can't help that Devin Smith has been injured. He had no injury history in college. I'm not a betting man, but I'll bet that Petty winds up the Jets backup QB if Hack develops. If Hack doesn't show that he is the Jets FQB, then the Jets will probably (should) draft a QB high, Hack will be the backup and Petty will hold the clipboard until his contract expires, then the Jets will replace him.

Cut a bunch of vets at a bad time? How is that? That doesn't make sense. The Jets needed to rebuild, and following last season, this was the time to do it.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not worried about Mac's seat getting hot. Adams and Maye are gonna be big stars. Other picks and UDFAs are gonna develop more this season, the D could wind up top 10, and the team will be recognized as a talented young team on the rise.

10. 101GangGreen101

Lorenzo, and Simon needs to continue to progress. He has not arrived yet. So the Jets should be satisfied with how he is now?

11. GasedAndConfused

Rebuild starts now. the 2 other years (outside of draft picks) shouldn't count against mac. IMO it takes a good 3 years to rebuild and he still needs to find a QB. If by the 2020 season we can't field a competitive team (9-10 win season) then i'm on board for making a switch. but when a GM has a 3 year rebuild plan and you switch him after year 1 or 2 and then demand instant sucess from the new GM, you are fucking the franchise over. Remember not only do we have a lot of young players and a "wash" of a year to evaluate them, we also have a shit ton of cap (probably around 80-90mil for next year) not many players to resign, and in prime position to draft a top QB in a really good QB class (could be the best one since 2004 with rivers, ben, and eli) We are actually in a good position to build a team, but only if the GM is given a fair chance and does a good job

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

We are in year 3 of Mac's build, so I agree he needs some draft picks and UDFA's to start stepping up.

It's totally fair to judge 2015's draft this season, and to have preliminary grades on 2016 (minus Hack).
    I don't expect much from 2017's draft outside of the Safeties this season.

I've liked the way Mac has re-shaped the FO and got Woody's buy in to increase efforts on scouting.
    I've also liked his mid, late round and UDFA fliers. Haven't felt that from any other GM we've had, so I give him a little benefit of doubt.

But now it's time to begin seeing some results..
    Some of the previous draftee and UDFA's to watch:
    Mauldin, Simon, Jenkins, Burris, Shell, Lac Edwards, Peake, Jalin Marshall, Anderson, Lawrence Thomas, Vander Laan
    Also scrap heap signings like ASJ, Josh Martin, Whitehead, Pennel, Harper, Daryl Roberts, Bruce Carter
    Gaining a gem or two, along with a bunch of role players from this group would go a long way.

FJF and GasedAndConfused like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

I think we struck gold with ASJ. He is a top 10 TE talentwise. injuries and a drinking problem prevented him from reaching his potential in TB but he went to rehab, and seems to be back on track to playing good. and he's healthy. ASJ is the most taltented TE we've had on the jets in as long as i can remember.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I loved him as a prospect coming out of the draft.
    Ton of talent, let's hope he's finally ready for the big leagues.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  15. FJF

The 2016 draft is looking very rough if hack doesn't shake out. On face though I like most picks of this past draft. Just not sure he will have enough success this and next year to go past 4 years to see this one become what I think it could be.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

I could see him being out leading receiver much like walker for the titans or olsen for the panthers

17. FJF

That's what I have been saying, not sure why some here had such an issue.

18. FJF

He may be starting the rebuild now but his contract started 3 years ago. Picks have to start paying off, soon. That's just the way the business is.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

Picks do yes. i'm just saying the 1st 2 years wash a wash cause the rebuild starts now. I wouldn't hold the splurge of FA against him. It felt like a woody move for instant sucess which fucked us in the long term. like i said 2-3 good players per draft after 3 years is a good draft in my book.

20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

sorry but this post is retarded

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.