Nightmare Draft Scenario-What to do you do?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Feb 26, 2018.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Let’s assume Kirk Cousins goes to Minnesota.

If the draft was today I think the top 5 go like this:

1. Barkley
    2. QB 1/4
    3. *Trade* QB 2/4
    4. QB 3/4
    5. QB 4/4

The Jets are going to be under a lot of pressure to acquire the #3 pick in this scenario. McCagnan will be evicerated if he allows Miami, Arizona, or Buffalo to jump him.

In this scenario at #6 do you take Chubb assuming you can’t trade the pick? If this happens I could see a guy like Jackson and Rudolph get pushed up between picks 10-25. Do the Jets give up both of their seconds and potentially more to get back into the first round? Or do they wait until the 2nd round and grab a 2nd tier guy like Luke Falk? Do they bite the bullet and take the 5th QB off the board at #6?

You can see why the Jets want Cousins so bad. McCagnan and Bowles know they are toast if they go into the season with a QB depth chart of McCown, Hackenberg, and a 2nd round pick (7th QB selected) regardless of how good a defense with a Chubb, Williams, Adams, and Maye could be.

2. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Quenton Nelson.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

take chubb and try to come back up for jackson or settle for falk in rd 2. i wonder if the f.a. qb market goes quiet after cousins signs. does everyone hold out till after the draft and then try to grab whatever journeyman they can to hold the fort,bridge to the rookie?

4. abc

abc Well-Known Member

Draft Mayfield @ 6, if he's gone ( the reason I say "if" is some crazies out there actually believe Allen to be 1 of the top 3 or 4) trade down (draft BPA) pick up an extra 2nd & draft Lauletta with 1 of our now 3 2nd rd. picks.

ps- DO NOT Sign kirk.

#4 abc, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Cry myself to sleep after the draft....

I'd probably take Chubb and move back up later in the first to take Jackson like FJF mentioned. I would actually be thrilled if we ended up with Chubb and Lamar Jackson after day 1. I would probably sign McCown and see if Jackson can wrestle the job away from him in TC. Josh McCown is a solid QB and is a true mentor at the QB position.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

To answer your question I would want to know which QBs are taken/available at 6.

But as of now, if Rosen. Darnold, Mayfield, and Jackson were all gone, I would go with Nelson and then look to get a QB later. I would also consider trading down for more high-level picks, and again, look for the QB later.

7. StrongSide

StrongSide New Member

Draft Nelson and target Mason Rudolph towards the end of the first round. Use No. 37 and 72 to draft him in the first round and retain the fifth year option.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If Mac allows two teams to trade ahead of him he should pack his bags and head straight to indeed.com.

I would think there’s a good chance that at worst the 4th QB is available. If Mac doesn’t like that QB then he should be fired for not getting his 3rd QB. If Mac only likes 2 QBs well then he should be fired cause he clearly doesn’t know how to evaluate the QB position.

Bottomline, preferably get Cousins but in the likely event that he does not get Cousins, get a 1st rd QB or be gone.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Draft a qb or worse yet trade up for one.

10. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Show you know how to do your job and get the guy you like.... If you like Cousins get it done! If you like one of the top QBs get it done! But god sake don’t take a DL and say he was the BPA

themorey and ColoradoContrails like this.