NFL Draft Countdown's Updated Mock Draft for 11/28/06

Discussion in 'Draft' started by jamesAngleton, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

For starters the order is wrong. 2nd I don't like it.

The top 5 picks are accurate though and I agree. 6th though should be Tampa getting Gaines Adams.

2. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

What's a matter Mex? You don't like JaMarcus Russell? :rofl:

3. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

This post doesn't even deserve recognition but I couldn't help answering. If he is a bad character prove it with facts, (arrests, stuff like that) Don't just make the judgement that he is a bad guy because he is black and has dreads

4. lightning

lightning Active Member

It's nothing about him being black!!!! Who would draft a white runningback in the first round anymore? It's more about him looking like he's stoned.

Not that i agree with him, but don't bring up the race shit. You're just asking to get flamed.

5. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

I have to agree there - he does look like he's stoned big time. But, until we get proof other then "looking like you're stoned," he's still a character guy.

6. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I have to agree here... it's not about whether Lynch is black or white at all. He isn't a bad character kid from all I've read, but he does project the "gangsta" image with the gold teeth and the dreads hanging in his eyes.

Whether people choose to accept that appearances do in fact say something about a person, even if it is an inaccurate impression, Lynch went back to his old HS in a very rough sectrion of Oakland for a graduation ceremony... I think he may have even been a speaker. As he left, he got into a car, and a real gang banger mistook him for another, and shot at him, barely missing.

This FO IS image conscious. Like it or not, it's reality. How many times did we read about Ferguson showing up in a business suit for interviews with NFL teams? If Lynch cut his hair, showed up at the combine in a suit.... his draft position would go up. Whether anyone agrees with it or not, that is just the way it is. A good agent would make him realise he will make more $ the higher he's drafted. Is it selling out? Only if wearing a suit instead of jeans to a "white collar" job interview is selling out as well.

Lynch also refused to do interviews with the press, even though his college HC pleaded for him to do so, believing any Heisman hype would both help Lynch and the program with positive PR.

Again, there isn't anything factual that says Lynch isn't a good kid, but he definitely could help himself by projecting a more "choir boy" sort of image. I have seen articles that have mentioned some NFL scouts and FO's prefer kids with no tatoos over others who have a ton of 'em. How you look may not be an accurate way of evaluating a person, but it's there, and it won't ever go away. That's just the hard truth, especially given the amount of trouble some very talented high draft picks have gotten themselves into.

7. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Even if he is a bad dude, it's good to have a couple dogs on your team so to speak. Someone who will come right back at the other team or go to war with another player. A bunch of nice guys isn't exactly the best set up either.

8. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Nice guys? not in the NFL, on the field of play. All I'm saying is that teams have been burnt by some high draft picks lately.... PacMan, MOST of Cleveland's recent draft picks, Taylor of the Skins.... Vick's little brother got lucky to even make it onto an NFL roster with his history.

Larry Johnson talked about it recently. He talked about leaving the "boys from the hood" behind, and watching your back, although in his case, it's sort of silly, as his father is a Penn St asst coach, and State College PA aint exactly the "hood". Teams are getting ever more leery of players who might land in some trouble.

Let me repeat, from what I know, Lynch is a good kid. That however is not the image he projects, and that was my point.

This FO went after team captains, guys with good Wunderlik scores that interviewed well. A given player's appearance, in a perfect world should have no affect on his draft slot.... but I'm saying that it does, and haven't offered an opinion on whether or not I even think it is right or wrong.... just sayin that it does. This FO seems to put an even higher priority on ANY kind of "red flag" on potential draftees.

I think that Mangini will follow Belichick's strategy in NE.... once the desired "culture" of good citizen types are established, players with a spotty rep (like Dillon before he went to NE) can then be brought in. These are just my observations, not in any way my opinion..... just calling it as I see it in terms of how not only the Jets FO does things, but a general trend of teams getting more gun shy with any potential draftee. For instance, after his DWI, does anyone think Adrian jones will be here next year?

9. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I'm glad you're standards of character lie solely with whether someone's been arrested or not.

It has nothing to do with race. Give me a white guy that looks as stoned and disheveled as Lynch does in that picture, and I'll say the same thing.

Thanks for calling me a racist, though, even though I obviously never even brought race into the picture.

I probably should have just avoided responding to your post, but I couldn't resist. You're ignorance of seeing issues beyond race baffles me.

Just to add on, I don't see why saying "a little out there" in reference to character would even warrant the kind of response you gave.

10. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

Sorry for offending you here, I guess I went about it the wrong way.. what I meant was that I don't think you should judge him based on character by his looks... ive got friends and other people I know who look like they are "bad" people with different characteristics and they are some of the nicest people I know and some of my best friends... sorry to anyone who took my post the wrong way, that wasn't the way I intended it to be

11. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

First of all this is redicilous. Not taking someone by the way he looks???????? I guess if Edge was sitting there at that spot we wouldnt take him either. I mean come on this crazy. Second of I rather have Bush. Bush and woodley was my mock but not in that order.

12. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Exactly, I never meant he was a bad person. He could be a very good person. But judging from his picture, he seems like he could be a little out there. I guess by that I was more going for he looks like a free spirit rather than a bad person. And I have no problem with free spirit people haha, just that I don't know if that's the type of football player that Mangini would want.

13. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Meh, this team doesn't need a RB.

14. JonathonVilmaPwnsnub

Well were not going to be getting the 16th pick in the draft. I dont see the 49ers, eagles, and a couple more teams ahead of us... i dont know what they are smoking having the eagles ahead of us with donovan injured.

15. DonnieIsTheKing

They used the draft order as of a certain date, not their predicted finishes.

16. LWC611

LWC611 Member

I amy be mistaken but vince young ran a lot of spread offense. While Troy smith is no Vince Young running the ball he can move and has better throwing mechanics. I am very surprised that Troy Smith is not a first rounder.

17. Coach K

Coach K New Member

Troy Smith reminds me of Drew Brees actually. Good clean mechanics. Great vision of the field. Troy Smith will have as much potential to succeed as anyone else in the pro's.

Like you said Russell is garbage. He'll be a knockoff version of Culpepper. If hes even lucky

18. DonnieIsTheKing

Vince Young hasn't gotten his offense yet, but his brilliant capabilities to take over games have made him what he is right now in the NFL. Troy Smith doesn't have that brilliant, game changing running ability that guys like Young and Vick have, so he's going to have to make it in the NFL more as a passer then a runner. He's going to have to adjust to a pro style offense fully to make it in the NFL, and IMO he is a risky pick in the first round. But, I think he may be taken by a team like the Panthers, who can hold him under Delhomme's wing for a year or two until he's ready to go.

19. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

If the draft board shakes out as Scott Wright predicts, then I would be happy with Lynch. I love watching Houston and Washington but neither is a bona fide starter and I don't think that either is on Marshawn Lynch's level.

That being said, I would draft Posluzny with that pick and then in the second round move for Kenny Irons. I personally believe that Irons is greatly underrated, and Puz would instantly transform our run defense.

20. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

The new mock dated today looks pretty interesting - I'm way off-pace with this year's prospects so far.