Next years QB if the Jets win too many games

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Oct 7, 2017.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I was reading an article from Cimini this morning on the Jets 2018 plan if they finish the year with 5-6 wins.

Cimini gave the options (3) options.

(1) Trade the farm for a QB
    (2) Sign a free agent (Brees, Cousins, Jimmy G)
    (3) Trade for Alex Smith

Cimini liked option 3, but I do not. Trading for Alex Smith off of a career year is the worst thing this franchise can do. Not only will we have to give up a premium pick, but he would also likely want a big money extension. At 34 years old his best years are behind him, and locking into 2-3 years of Alex Smith at this stage of his career will destroy the rebuilding plan.

My plan? Option (4) Dump hackenberg resign McCown and have him battle it out with Petty and another draft pick.

TheCleaner likes this.
  2. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

Kirk Cousins is playing very well this year but not sure his price tag is worth his talent. Out of the free agents though he is the one I would want the most. I can't see the Redskins letting him go though, they will do everything they can to retain him especially if they make the playoffs/ make a run. Alex Smith is interesting, I wanted him when the 9ers gave up on him. Once again, not the young long term solution we're looking for.

I can't see them giving McCown more than one season. Regardless, next offseason will be the most interesting for the Jets in some time.

3. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Just goes to show you where Cimini's priorities are.

Good thing he's not the GM -
    1) Mac would really make himself look bad trading the farm away while not finding out if his wonder boy Hack is all he expected.
    2) Would they risk signing an unknown commodity in Jimmy G all the money he would be asking?
    3) Agree with Jethro about Alex Smith

4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I've always been a proponent of trading up if you really love a QB. Yes, you'll have to pay the price but only for a year or two. Assuming the guy you get is everything you hoped, he'll most likely have a career span of about 15 years, so one or two years of thin drafts at the top isn't such a terrible price to pay. Barring that, there will be other very talented QB's available in this draft besides the "Big 3." Mason Rudolph, Baker Mayfield, Luke Falk and Lamar Jackson should all be available when the Jets pick even if they pick between 10th-20th. In any other year, these guys would probably be considered the top QB picks.

5. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

I like both Rudolph and Falk. Between Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Rudolph, and Falk, jets should be able to get one of them. What a year!

6. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I like Rudolph also. I think he may be available in the mid to late round. He's very raw and needs so much work to fit the NFL schemes. The program he's currently in does not allow him to take snaps from center.

NYJetsO12 and westiedog1 like this.
  7. ColoradoJets

ColoradoJets Member

I certainly want to draft a young guy but I wouldn't mind Alex Smith. I don't think teams are going to offer too much for him.

Philip Rivers has to be available too as that franchise is in worse shape than ours. They make our stadium look packed.

8. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

This should be the plan this year. If we go into next year without knowing for certain what Petty brings to the table its a failed season.

TheCleaner and K'OB like this.
  9. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

I am completely against FA QBs, just go all in with the young guys. I'm just concerned that several teams might out tank us (Dolphins, 49ers and Browns) so who knows what we'll get. If we get screwed over in the draft, we'll be in no man's land with an ancient QB and 2 inexperienced mediocre QBs. That's my biggest fear and I have not seen any actions taken by the team to cover all bases in this regard.

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, right. Trade for Smith. Yeah that's gonna happen. :rolleyes:

Wonder what Bich thinks if they win 4 or 7? I really need to know.

#11 Walt White, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Probably because StubHub Center holds 30,000. That's pretty much how many are showing up these days in our state of the ass POS palace that holds 82,500.

Jets69 likes this.
  13. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I've heard that stadium has been half full at best. Both those teams shouldn't have left. LA doesn't seem to care.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  14. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Sounds like Rudolph would be a great fit for the Jets, they have a great history of grooming QBs, then if he wasn't ready day 1, then the fanbase would be chanting "BUST", sounds like a marriage in heaven.

15. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Jimmy g for sure. He's 25 and is as much as a gamble as taking rosen.

More importantly he'll be ready to start and the jets can take someone else with their top pick.

Imagine how this team looks next year with Jimmy g and saquon Barkley? Then draft two oline in the 2nd round.

boozer32 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't think Garoppolo is a possibility because it looks like the Pats think he's Brady's successor. If they were looking to trade him they would have done so already, his trade value was at its highest last offseason. Also they wouldn't have sent Brissett to the Colts considering Brissett has more years on his rookie deal than Garoppolo. IMO they'll franchise him next year and he'll take over in 2019.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

This Thread will look silly when we don' t win a game after the Browns...Miami again?? that makes 4 wins on the year and anything can happen imo

IMHO:

Best option is to lose games and get a top pick QB

After that we can look to trade up, and forfeit some of the future for a great QB class pick

Third option is to draft a 5th rounder and pray they are another Dak prescott

Fourth is to get Jimmie G a young QB but i doubt it happens

boozer32 and Jets69 like this.
  18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I need to see more of the season play out.
    Best case scenario is that our current QBs prove themselves, we bring back all 3, and don't need to invest a ton of draft or FA capital on QB next season.

In terms of the FA options, I'd want no part of Jimmy G.
    Those QB's in NE are the product of the system.
    Cousins not a bad option though. Expensive but I think he'd do well here.

FJF, tiger8mush and LAJet like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I know what I would do, but I don't think Macc and Bowles are on the same wavelength as me.

I would be playing Petty and Hack to see what I've got there. In all probability Hack isn't near ready and I wouldn't waste any more time on him. If that's the case, I would cut him, and keep Petty and McCown (for now). I would then hope to draft Rosen. If I couldn't, I would try to get Barkley, and then grab a QB in the 2nd round, possibly even trading up to get one a really liked. I would feel pretty good going into next year with Petty, McCown and really good FQB prospect PLUS Barkley to take the pressure off.

boozer32, LAJet and JethroTull like this.
  20. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

My concern with Garropolo is that he might be a "system" QB. Works well in Belichick's system, but outside, who knows? It's happened before, see Matt Cassel.

egelband and tiger8mush like this.