Name a single Pat monster besides Brady?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Longsuffering88, Feb 14, 2017.

1. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I think the Pats have a system, but they are not married to running it one certain way. They evaluate the players and try to put them in situations that best fit their talent.

While they run a system with Brady on offense, they also adjust to what their other skill players can do. On defense, they are running a completely different defense than they did through 2012. They've gone to a 4-3 because they don't have the LBs and NT they used to have.

I think that guys like Rex and Tomlin are too inflexible. They are going to run their system regardless of the talent on the team.

Also, the idea the Pats are cheap because they won't pay the high ticket guys is wrong! The Pats make sure they can pay decent money to the midlevel guys and it keeps their rosters deep.

2. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

There are some real tangible benefits to having one guy be coach and GM. Seems like the Jets always set the two at odds. Of course, it goes the other way when you make both of those guys Kotite.....

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

That whole statement is BULLSHIT. If, If, If. You have zero way of knowing if that's true or not which makes your statement complete conjecture.

Other than staying in the same job??? You make it sound like NFL coaches have unlimited tenure and get to stay at their jobs as long as they want to. Another fallacy. Belichick earned his 16 or 17 year tenure because he won and won a lot. Case closed.

Just deal with the fact that Belichick's system is unmatched in the history of the sport because that is fact. The stuff you mentioned above is all opinion and nothing more.

4. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Looking past coaching, I feel that the following article gives insight into their salary approach. Brady makes very good money but I don't remember him ever pushing to be the most paid QB in nfl history like every other franchise QB. Hell, Sanchez had a higher salary than Brady for a couple years too.

https://theringer.com/tom-brady-contract-restructure-patriots-super-bowl-e18ede48f08#.1ftddabow

Outside of the Pats, it's seems that every team in the NFL is full of minimum salary, Maximum salary & rookie contracts. Those "middle-class" salaries that NE uses gives them an opportunity to raise the floor across many positions on their roster.

edit:
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cap/2016/ <-- Jets
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/cap/2016/ <-- Pats

Jets (and almost every other team) salary cap is a lot more top-heavy. With an approach like this, I think you are in bad shape if you get an off year or injury from your big money people because the rest of the roster is usually lower-tier players (unless they're on rookie salary) unable to overcome newly created talent gaps. With this approach, I feel that the Pats overall have a much higher floor in many of their non-elite starters vs everybody else.

Don't know for sure if this is the "secret" to their success. But I wanted to bring it in to this thread because I feel it gives us another angle to view.

#24 ajax, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    HomeoftheJets, CJLang and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. TwoHeadedMonster

Wow. Defensive much?

Just how long do you think it would have taken the Giants to fire Parcells after he won them two Super Bowls in 4 years, if he hadn't retired immediately after? What is about his turn-around successes with the Patriots (doormat to super bowl apperance in three years), Jets (shitshow to AFCCG appearance in two years), or Cowboys (3 out of 4 winning seasons for a team coming off of 3 straight 5-11 seasons) that makes you think he would have stunk up the joint?

6. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Laughed like crazy reading this. When I was a kid, I had a black classmate that was a Celtics fan. Everybody around him was giving him shit for rooting for the "white" team. Dude never wavered though and constantly wore Larry Bird uniforms to class.

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

With Brady it's death by a 1,000 cuts.

On defense, while under Parcells, it was Belichick who would come up with some very creative schemes depending on the opponent (e.g. 1990 SB vs. the Bills' K-gun offense: 2-man rush/5 LBs/crush every WR).

8. JetsNation06

Not defensive, just honest. You're arguing against yourself. Belichick 5 SB rings, Parcells 2. Numbers don't lie.

9. TwoHeadedMonster

It's okay man, you're allowed to like BB. I'm not trying to make you take your hoodie fathead off the wall.

Peace.

10. JetsNation06

It's all about the rings, junior. Don't get your panties in a bunch. You can hate BB but the guy is a legend whether you unsuccessfully try to diminish that or not.

11. TwoHeadedMonster

I guess I simply do not buy into that logic. Kevin Faulk has more rings than Walter Payton or Barry Sanders. George Seifert has more rings than John Madden. Jeff Hostetler has more rings than Dan Marino.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree. And they're not the only team to have a system - Steelers, Packers, Cowboys, Broncos - all have their own system and draft the players they see that will best fit in it. For long term success this is the right way to go. In contrast you have the Jets who have NO system, other than "Make money for the owner".

13. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

...and they get to play in the AFC East every year virtually guaranteeing them a spot in the playoffs.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  14. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Has anyone mentioned the football god? The football god is a pats fan. At this point it's the only thing that makes sense.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  15. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Ironically, the Celtics were the first NBA team to draft an African American player, and the first team to have an African American starting 5.

They also traded hall of famer "white guy" Easy Ed Macauley to draft Russell.

Now if you had said they were the ugliest team of all time you might be on to something.

16. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

They have more African Americans on team and coaching staff than the Falcons do.

Br4d likes this.
  17. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Following up on that. Those Bird Celtic teams had a black HC. However, we're talking about young school kids here. In-depth analysis isn't much deeper than what's quickly grasped when looking at the TV screen.

CJLang likes this.
  18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Every bitter suburban white guy in the eighties was a Celtics fan. Just putting that out there.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I'm sure you're right, I don't know the falcons that well. I can't name too many teams that have all white coaches, QB, WR1, WR2, TE, and some former D guys like Brusky. NE just seams really white, especially in the skill positions.

20. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

this is absolutely correct, he does the little things too. he always has a left footed punter, its a different spin on the ball and makes it harder to catch.

that type of dedication to being better is amazing. he drafts guys like van noy, who nobody else gave a shit about but bill saw something in him and now he isnt going to be lt, but he is a solid player. they dont look for stars they look for solid players who are willing to do what they want done.

the cocksucker really doesnt miss very often in the draft or free agency, but he is usually not looking for the big name big effect guy, just another guy to fit into his system.

Br4d likes this.