N.Y. Times Article: Pennington

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hwismer, Jun 16, 2007.

1. hwismer

hwismer Active Member

Pennington Gives the Jets an Arm Up on This Season

By LYNN ZINSER
    Published: June 17, 2007

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y., June 15 ? When Jets quarterback Chad Pennington fired a long pass to Justin McCareins for a touchdown late in Friday?s minicamp practice, receiver Laveranues Coles helped him celebrate with a mock touchdown dance while Pennington watched and laughed.
    It was a light moment in a career nearly clouded by doubt a year ago. Now, Pennington is enjoying the first off-season in three years without rehabilitating after a shoulder operation. And his teammates are enjoying it with him.

?To me, it seems like a nonfactor because I never think about him being hurt,? McCareins said. ?He looks as strong as he?s ever thrown the ball.?
    A year ago, Pennington?s second rotator cuff operation in two years had clouded his future so much that Coach Eric Mangini announced an all-out four-man competition for the starting job. Pennington won back the job, led the Jets to the playoffs and received the N.F.L.?s comeback player of the year award.

That earned Pennington at least a small break from incessant speculation about his arm strength and whether he could continue to bounce back from injuries. For now, he is no longer the lead entry in every list of questions about the Jets? chances.

It is also a break from his frustration, particularly last year, when he was trying to learn a new offense installed by Mangini while playing with a still-weakened shoulder after off-season rotator-cuff surgery.

?Sometimes in the last two years, I knew exactly where the ball needed to go, but you weren?t sure if the ball was going to go there,? Pennington said. ?Sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn?t. That?s just some of the kinks you have to work out after you go through an injury, trying to get your body back in sync.?

Although Pennington, 30, is an eight-year veteran and secure in his starting job, he is attacking this season as if he still has much to prove. His teammates have noted Pennington?s efforts during the team?s voluntary workouts. Not many quarterbacks draw praise for their diligence in the weight room, but Pennington has all but made it his second home.

?I don?t know exactly what he went through, but I know that he?s one of the hardest workers that I?ve ever been around as an athlete,? McCareins said. ?Just watching him get himself back in top form, it?s unlike anything I?ve ever seen.?

Last year, Pennington played all 16 regular-season games for the first time in his career. He finished with 3,352 passing yards and 17 touchdowns, his second-highest total. His completion percentage, 64.5, was the third best of his career.

He was doing much of it on guts alone. He was helped by the Jets? reliance on short passes, but he was also learning a new offense after a training camp in which the medical staff counted his throws to make sure that he did not overwork his shoulder.
    Last year, I was just trying to make sure I could get on the field, call the plays and make as many throws as possible,? he said. ?This year, I have all the confidence in the world I can make all the throws and all the different types of ball-placement throws we need to make.?

It should also help that the Jets plan to support him with an improved running game ? they were 30th in the league in yards a carry last season. The newly acquired Thomas Jones is set to carry the kind of workload once shouldered by Curtis Martin.

But Mangini says Pennington?s progress opens up new possibilities for the offense, running game aside.

?On the field, you can see him drawing on the experience of last year and advancing the system, not just from his position, but collectively,? Mangini said. ?He?s such a smart guy with a great memory that you tell him something once, it may have been three weeks ago, when that comes up again, he nails it.?

Through the toughest stretches of his career, Pennington has counted on Coles, not only as his top receiver, but also as one of his closest friends. Coles has always been quick to defend Pennington from his detractors.

They make an odd couple, with Coles once known as a loose cannon and Pennington leaning to the uptight end of the scale. They enjoy the contrast in their personalities, although the gap is closing. Coles has become more serious as his career has progressed, and Pennington has loosened up.

?I think with both of us being the way we are, he lightens my dark side and I lighten his dark side,? Coles said. ?When he?s always trying to be uptight about something, I?m the light side of him that lets him know, ?Relax, don?t worry about it.? When it?s me being tense, he doesn?t really tell me to relax, he just says, ?L. C., I got ya.? ?

Coles and Pennington considered taking a vacation together this off-season with their children, more of a chance to step away from their football lives. Pennington said it was unlikely that they would go on vacation this year, though Coles said he believed Penn ington had earned one.

?I?ve understood how every year has been tough for him,? Coles said. ?The guy has faced adversity his whole career. From the time he walked through the doors, people have always had things to say about him, but here?s a guy who?s still always been on the winning side of things.

?As long as he?s playing ball, I?m in his corner.?

2. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I could have sworn that the problem 3 years ago was a wrist injury...

3. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Does this mean that Penny's deep ball is actually going to be deep, or deeper than Penny's old long ball?

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He could always throw it deep. What he can't do is throw it deep with any accuracy. I still remember him throwing one 2 years ago in a preseason game that went about 55 yards (he was trying to prove a point) and overthrew his receiver by 20 yards.

5. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I don't think it's so much the depth that is an issue as the velocity - a 50 yard pass that hits the receiver in stride is a significantly better weapon than one the receiver slows down for and gives the safety time to get across...

6. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Thats what I mean , by the time the ball has done 40+ its slow and hangs there , meaning that either the WR has to slow his route down or meet the ball as high up as he can , either way , they're medicine balls.

yep , I remember that. Wasn't it to Moss , right side post pattern?

7. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

It was against Minnesota, but I'm sure it was intended for McCareins, and I remember it being down the middle of the field...

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I was at that game and it happened in front of my endzone-- I it was McCareins in his 1st year with the team... Justin was at the 20yrd line heading towards the endzone when the ball was overthrown and landed on the 8yrd line.

9. JHalpert84

JHalpert84 New Member

Chad Pennington will surprise all this year bwa ha ha ha

10. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Good read. Pennington and Coles will go down as probably the 2nd best QB-WR combo in Jets history (following Namath and Maynard).

11. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Behind Namath and Sauer, OBrein and Toon, OBrein and Walker, Vinny and Key.

12. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I really think Pennington could have a career season. Maybe not quite as good as 2002, but I think he will play as good as he was playing in 2004 before he was injured.

I am really looking forward to his season because I think with the addition of T. Jones and with the 4 rookies (Brick, Mangold, Smith and Washington) getting a year under their belts...this offense could be really solid next season.

Can't wait.

13. Murrell2878

O'Brien/Toon, O'Brien/Walker Vinny/Keyshawn????? I don't think so

14. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I am not sure about Vinny and Keyshawn, but O'Brien to Walker or Toon were pretty fricken good

15. Murrell2878

You can make a case for O'Brien to Toon

16. rillo

rillo New Member

Come on Chad keep proving people wrong

17. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Testaverde and Johnson played all of one season together - 1998. Sauer was good, but retired too early. I can an argument for O'Brien and Toon. Walker's career spanned two QB's - Todd and O'Brien. I think the point being made was that give Pennington and Coles a couple of more years together and they will put up some big numbers. Of course, you dislike Pennington and your reference to Testaverde and Johnson as a prolific duo when they played one year together shows this.

18. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

You have consistently put down Vinny who lead the Jets to their best season since 1968 and was the single best player on that team. A player that Pennington couldn't take the job from until Vinny played himself off the team.

You also fail to mention that both Vinny and Key made the Pro bowl in 1998. Chad has never been to the Pro Bowl and Coles made the Pro Bowl in 93 when he played with Ramsey.

By the way, in case your forgot, Sauer was a 4 time pro bowler and was outright great in the SB.

#18 winstonbiggs, Jun 18, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, definitely think so.

Also, don't forget Namath to Maynard (before my time but both guys did make HOF together).

20. LWC611

LWC611 Member

Good read thanks for the post.